Pangu.io 2014-06-23 13-17-10 2014-06-23 13-17-18

A new jailbreak from a Chinese team dubbed “Pangu” has been released, and reports are spreading quickly around the Internet that it does indeed successfully install the famed “Cydia” jailbreak package installer application. It appears that this jailbreak is similar to the TaiG side of the evasi0n jailbreak from last year in that it also includes a sketchy Chinese pirated app installer.

The jailbreak can be obtained from the Pangu team’s website, and there’s currently only one .exe installer file available that runs only on Windows. The size of the download is strikingly more than 70 MB, which brings about a bit of suspicion in and of itself. For those with a Mac and willing to give this a shot, it appears that Pangu has an OS X version in the works as the team has “Mac OS” listed as a compatible operating system.

Based on various web reports — although the jailbreak does appear sketchy — there doesn’t seem to be any apparently direct malicious intent. Famed jailbreak developer iH8sn0w confirms on Twitter that the package itself doesn’t “have “spyware” or malicious trails.”

We haven’t personally tested the jailbreak because — as I’m sure will be the case with many — we’re waiting for more confirmation that there isn’t anything malicious here. Notably, now that the exploit itself is out, the jailbreak will almost certainly be repackaged by the evad3rs or another jailbreak team at which point we’ll likely feel more comfortable giving it a shot. In the meantime, the Chinese website is definitely taking a hammering as countless desperate iOS 7.1 users get their hands on yet another installment of bring able to bring unofficial software to their iOS devices.

40 Responses to “Pangu untethered iOS 7.1.X jailbreak released, but proceed with caution”

1. Ali Magdy says:

Am I the only one who gets an error after clicking the jailbreak file link?

2. rahhbriley says:

Awesome…but I think I’ll wait for the evad3rs to release a version?

3. i get a error its says something about itunes

4. standardpull says:

You’d have to be nuts to give an anonymous programmer permanently modify your iPhone in an unknown way.

Only complete idiots would pursue this.

5. Arpit Jain says:

error is coming saying “it is not a win32 application “

6. I think that the 70 Mb’s come from the third party apps when you jailbreak with the checkbox checked

7. Would you really give access to your phone and all your personal data including all your passwords to someone you don’t know ( from china!)? Considering this jailbreak is installing some pirate store, do you really expect them to respect your privacy, your property and your banking, card details?
    I am passing on this one… good luck!

• Do you have something against chinese people?

• b9bot says:

I think Santiago was mainly concerned about privacy, not from where it came from. However there are a lot of DNS and data attacks coming from China trying to get at everyones information and maybe your bank account. The other risk is bricking your device completely and if it is out of warranty then you will have to pay for a replacement.

• Agash Thamo. says:

@b9bot – If I was a hacker and I wanted to get you information, I would route everything through other networks and PCs, maybe to china.. that doesn’t mean that I’m from china..

8. b9bot says:

The only advantage you will get with this is to brick your device. But don’t come whining to an Apple Store tech if you used this because they can’t help you. These hacks are just that and will make your device unstable and buggy. Any updates from Apple could brick your device and if you are out of warranty you will have to cough up the replacement costs. DON’T DO IT!

• You are very wrong. I have this jail break installed and no bricking issues here!

• athynz says:

You also have no idea how jailbreaking works – one could possibly brick their device if they don’t follow the very simple instructions. Jailbreaking is far less complicated than rooting an android device or installing a custom ROM on an old WM or BB device all of which I’ve done with no issues.

9. i updated my itunes but i still have a issue :/ well i mean the issue

10. following the instructions provided therein, i have jailbroken my iphone 4s without any problem..i however, restored it to non-jailbreak state a few hours later because almost all apps from cydia are not compatible with my firmware which is 5.2.0.0.

11. jdl19901 says:

I can not install tweaks on my iPhone 4s. The error (2) is being shown in any tweak i try to install. I checked the list of compatible tweaks with ios7.1.1 with pangu, those tweaks also couldn’t be installed. Please help.

12. i try to to run the file but get a message stating it isnt a valid win32 application. no idea what that might be

13. I’ll try anything that will give me Cydia sooner so I can install that new “bigU” movies app from xSellize repo or insanelyi repo.

14. oh i got it all worked just my phone cant be detected

15. Guys im fucked :/ i took the risk of using this jb it installed normal the next day it got boot looped everytime i tried to enter

16. Hi Guys i was running on ios 7.1.1 i jailbroke my iphone 5 with pangu 1.0 .. i just restored my iphone., and now im runing on ios 7.1.2 and when i open pangu it will freeze on connect your device.. but its connected .. it wont to detect my iphone please HELP !!!!!

17. Pangu Boot says:

The whole process of Pangu jailbreak was described during the Syscan360 conference at Beijing by @windknown team member. Seems like pangu not the first release jailbreak. They have developed some iOS exploits last year in 2013

18. DO NOT USE THIS JAILBREAK!!!!!!!!! IF YOU HAVE IT GET RID F IT… I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST MY IPHONE BEING STUPID AT FIRST, BUT I WAS WRONG. MY IPHONE 4 IS STUCK IN A BOOT LOOP, AND 64GB IPAD HAS FOLLOWED SUIT… I AM NOW OUT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS BECAUSE OF THIS JAILBREAK