Apple’s Q1 2016 earnings results were historic in more ways than one. While Apple’s revenue during the holiday quarter was an all-time record for the company, Apple did indicate that iPhone unit sales would drop year-over-year for the first time next quarter. “We do think that iPhone units will decline in the quarter,” Cook told investors on this week’s call, though observers are quick to point out that this may not be a negative outcome. This simply raises the question: why?
Perhaps users are holding out for the iPhone 7 after the comparatively minor iPhone 6s launch was Apple’s sole-iPhone debut in 2015. Another possibility, however, is that people are holding on to their older devices longer because protective case accessories allow iPhones to last longer.
Indeed, Cook did tell investors on the call that the existing iPhone 5s “continues to do quite well” and that 60% of active iPhone users are using models older than the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which were launched in the fall of 2014. That means that only 40% of iPhone users are working with the latest form-factor found with the 6 and 6s lines.
With all that in mind, cases such as its the CandyShell Clear from Speck Products contribute to older models lasting longer, giving consumers a way to stretch their dollars until their next upgrade. Speck created a case packed with protective features and a slim design to help consumers get the most out of their iPhone. The following are the features of the CandyShell Clear that help it stand out from the competition:
- Completely clear iPhone 6 case with two layers of next-generation clear material that resists UV yellowing.
- Military-grade drop protection. Certified to meet or exceed MIL-STD-810G drop test standards.
- Patented one-piece, multi-layer design. Patented design provides two layers of protection. Exterior polycarbonate layer disperses impact while interior TPE layer absorbs shock.
- Patented raised bezel screen protection. Bezel rises above screen to guard glass from direct drops onto phone face and prevents screen from scratching when laying flat.
- Precision-engineered slim fit. CandyShell Clear protects iPhone 6 without adding unnecessary bulk.
- Perimeter port and camera protection. TPE liner protects ports from drops without compromising sound or photo quality.
- Lab-tested durability. Durability testing against extreme temperatures, cracks, and abrasions.
- Responsive button protection. Rubberized covers shield volume and power buttons while keeping them fully accessible.
Critically, using a case gives users a position of power to dictate when they can want to update, allowing users to wait until the next model instead of having to upgrade mid-cycle due to a broken device. Even with the exciting iPhone 7 launch this fall, users may be inclined to hold on to their iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, or iPhone 6s Plus if their phone keeps working properly thanks to a protective case.
While many readers are early adopters who will spring to purchase an iPhone 7 regardless of the condition of their current smartphone, there is a large percentage of the market that is clearly content with using an older iPhone model so-long as it continues to properly function. With cases such as Speck’s CandyShell Clear, this may continue to be the situation for years to come, and these types of protective cases also ensure that it’s the user, not potential damage, who indicates the right time to upgrade.