A few apps updated, went on sale, or made announcements recently, and 9to5Mac gathered the most noteworthy ones in our regular round up below. Today’s selection includes app accessory news from Tim Cook’s second favorite company, Nike, a few tweaks to an official Walking Dead game in celebration of the show’s upcoming season three premiere, a fresh app for creating Passbook passes, two alternative Maps app updates, and a price drop. Per usual, we will continue to update this list throughout the day.
Check them out:
- Apps & updates: Streamweaver, Opera Mini, CoPilot Live, DataMan, Twittelator (9to5mac.com)
- Apps & updates: Netflix, Shazam, Bad Piggies, OmniFocus, more (9to5mac.com)
- Missing all the features of Google Maps? Get them back in iOS 6 with these third-party apps (9to5mac.com)
- App Store updated with iOS 6: new search result layout, Genius recommendations and more (9to5mac.com)
1. Nike+ FuelBand for iOS | Free Nike+ FuelBand, an innovative wrist-based device that tracks and measures users’ activity, launched in February 2012 with an iOS-companion app. Apple CEO Tim Cook serves on Nike’s Board of Directors, and the sportswear company just announced the Fuel Band will be available in “White Ice” and “Black Ice” colors starting Oct. 31. Distribution will begin in United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
1. Mana Pass Builder for iOS | Free This easy system for creating Passbook passes just launched today and includes the following features:
- Passes are automatically part of the Mana app for free advertising.
- Add people to your reach when they add a store card and then anytime you update the card they will be notified.
- Users are incentivized to share passes using social networking services.
2. ClassicMap for iOS | Free This Maps app alternative hit the App Store yesterday, and it is getting a lot of buzz. The app’s description only mentions, “The Classic Maps is Back” and “Easy navigation and clear maps.”
1. Walking Dead: The Game for iOS | $4.99 This critically acclaimed and award-winning game series app recently pushed out an update that includes “Episode 2: Starved For Help” via an in-app purchase. Version 1.1 also boasts the following tweaks:
- Menu Functionality Updated
- Restore Functionality Added
- Added Push Notification Support
2. iExit Interstate Exit Guide for iOS | 99 cents (for a limited time) iExit lets drivers what is “coming up in real time when driving on the interstate” by detailing upcoming exits, gas stations, hotels, etc. Version 4.6 landed today, and it includes the following updates:
- iExit partnered with travel coupon supplier Market America, meaning you can now find hundreds of great deals on hotels throughout the US. Simply select the “Deals” filter to see what great deals lie ahead.
- Minor tweak to the way iExit accesses your phone’s location, but it resulted in significant improvements to battery life. iExit 4.6 is almost 50% more battery friendly than 4.5.
- Added a new road trip planning tool. If you are just off the interstate stopped at an exit, you can now browse upcoming exits (and those behind you) by selecting “Browse Exits Using Location”.
- Improvements to the Truck Friendly and RV Friendly filters.
- Several enhancements and bug fixes.
1. CarTunes Music Player for iOS | Free (originally $4.99) According to the app’s description, CarTunes is the “freshest iOS music player, designed entirely for touch.” Users can control music with swipes, taps, and pinches, and it features full iPhone 5 support and HD Retina graphics custom for iPhone and iPad.