We know the developer behind the popular RSS client Reeder has been working on a version 3.0 update for OS X 10.10 Yosemite as we last saw a teaser in April. Today users get the first chance to try out the redesigned RSS service reader as the first public beta for Reeder 3 has gone live. The updated version sports a user interface designed for Yosemite and beyond, more themes for making reading comfortable, and even a few OS X El Capitan features. Reeder says the new version will be available as a free update to current Reeder 2 customers when it’s completed. For now, anyone can try out the public beta of Reeder 3 for Mac. The app works with many popular post-Google News RSS services including Feedly and Feed Wrangler as well as read-it-later services like Instapaper, a new addition to the app, and Readability. Reeder can also be used as a local standalone RSS client without syncing features.
Aside from the visual refresh including a new icon and added themes, the new version also includes features like private browsing and better smart folder support.
Reeder users running OS X El Capitan either in developer beta or public beta will appreciate support for Apple’s new San Francisco system font. Reeder 3 also supports El Cap’s new split-screen feature when using two full-screen apps side-by-side.
Reeder 3 public beta requires OS X 10.10 Yosemite or later. You can grab the public beta for free from reederapp.com, and Reeder 2 is available for $9.99 in the Mac App Store. You can buy the current version and update to the new version when it’s complete.
Here’s Reeder 3’s current changelog:
- Reeder 3 requires at least Mac OS X 10.10
- Reeder 3 will be a free update for Reeder 2 for Mac users
- Sharing services still need some work
- More themes
- Updated UI
- Unread and starred counts for smart folders
- Hide smart folders in unread/starred view if there are no unread/starred items
- Private browsing support (see Settings > Reading)
- Display the URL in the status bar when hovering a link in the article viewer or browser
- New article viewer display settings: separate font and uppercase options for the title
- Fullscreen now also works when in minimized layout mode
- New service: Instapaper
- Feedbin: Support for Saved Searches
- Readability: Tags
- Readability: Delete articles
- Minimal Reader: Tags
- Inoreader: Tags
- BazQux Reader: Tags
- Feedly: Tags
- Feedly: New setting to enable downloading of read items (disabled by default)
- RSS (local): Tags
- Disabled “Mark all as read” for read later services (Readability and Instapaper)
- Inoreader authentication
- Incorrect unread/starred counts
- Reeder now uses San Francisco as UI font on El Capitan
- Full screen split view on El Capitan
- Various visual glitches on El Capitan
- Links not opening in the background (seems to be a Chrome issue)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.