In this week’s top stories: Apple’s HomePod goes up for preorder as new details emerge, Apple pushes out the latest iOS, watchOS, macOS, and tvOS releases and betas, Logic Pro X gets a major update, and much more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories…
The best 4K & 5K displays for Mac
This week, Apple’s HomePod went up for preorder on Friday ahead of an official launch in stores February 9. The preorder launch came alongside many new details for the device and some early hands-on sound quality reviews.
Apple released a number of new iOS, macOS and watchOS releases including iOS 11.2.5 for iPhone and iPad with support for HomePod, macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 with a Messages fix, watchOS 4.2.2, and tvOS 11.2.5 for Apple TV. Apple also released iOS 11.3 betas for iPhone and iPad and we went hands-on with all of the new features and changes.
Two new iPhone rumors surfaced this week, one claiming Apple could launch a 6.1-inch LCD iPhone priced between $700-$800 with a single rear camera and no 3D Touch, and the other that Apple will only launch one new OLED iPhone this year, a 6.5-inch ‘iPhone X Plus’.
Lastly, this week Apple released a major Logic Pro X update with over 2000 new features and fixes.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below:
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS
- iOS 11.2.5 is now available for iPhone and iPad, adds HomePod support and more
- watchOS 4.2.2 is now available for Apple Watch
- Apple releases first iOS 11.3 developer beta for iPhone and iPad
- Apple releases first iOS 11.3 public beta for iPhone and iPad
- watchOS 4.3 beta 1 for Apple Watch now available
- iOS 12 concept proposes grouped notifications, Android-style widgets & fantasy wish list items
- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 with Messages fix now available for Mac
- tvOS 11.2.5 now available for Apple TV
- Verizon matches T-Mobile deal: Buy one iPhone 8 or X, get one $699 off
- Digitimes claims Apple will only launch one new OLED iPhone this year
- Renders imagine future iPhone X w/ smaller notch & bezel, flush camera, more
- T-Mobile tops OpenSignal network tests as AT&T launches new range extender
- KGI: 6.1-inch LCD iPhone priced between $700-$800 w/ single rear camera, no 3D Touch
- HomePod will be available to order from Friday, in stores on February 9
- HomePod Diary: How I got talked into buying one despite my reservations
- Tim Cook explains what sets HomePod apart from existing smart speakers
- iOS 11.2.5 Home app suggests HomePod will support HomeKit scenes for Siri mute
- Latest HomePod hands-on praises sound quality & calls it an ‘excellent Siri ambassador’
- HomePod settings interface, volume controls, more shown off
- HomePod includes a 2 meter power cable in the box, Apple will sell replacements
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top video |
- watchOS 4.3 beta 1 for Apple Watch now available [Video]
- What’s new in iOS 11.3? Hands-on with new features and changes [Video]
- HomePod set up similar to AirPods, requires iCloud Keychain & two-factor auth [Video]
- Smart Home Diary: Ending up with iPhone-controlled blinds after all … [Video]
- Logic Pro X gets major update: ChromaVerb, Vintage EQs, Multi-Effects, more [Video]
Happy Hour Podcast #157 |
This week Benjamin and Zac are joined by Guilherme Rambo to discuss HomePod launch details, iOS 11.2.5 and new Siri skills, iOS 11.3 beta and changes included, and a new 6.1-inch iPhone rumor.
9to5Mac Daily |
Welcome to 9to5Mac Daily, a new podcast bringing you the latest in Apple news and top 9to5Mac stories every Monday through Friday. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 011: New HomePod details, Apple’s top investigator departs, DJI Mavic Air leak | 9to5Mac Daily
- 012: HomePod release date, iOS 11.2.5, and 6.1-inch iPhone | 9to5Mac Daily
- 013: iOS 11.3 beta, Messages in iCloud, AirPlay 2 | 9to5Mac Daily
- 014: Apple Books overhaul, watchOS 4.3 changes, HomePod tidbits | 9to5Mac Daily
- 015: Digitimes iPhone rumors, new Apple Watch markets, HomePod orders | 9to5Mac Daily