Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 20.10.39

Apple seems to have inadvertently referenced a new model of Mac mini on an Apple Support page. The page was last modified yesterday, presumably to include information on the new MacBook Pro’s but instead lists “Mac mini (Mid 2014)” as a supported machine. There is a possibility that this is simply a human error on Apple’s part, of course, confusing the MacBook Pro and the Mac mini updates. There haven’t really been rumors of a new Mac mini being in the works, but due to the relative unimportance of the product in the Mac lineup, it is not of the question for it to have slid under the radar.

The Mac mini was last updated in 2012 and, as such, a refresh is long overdue. There is a chance this is simply a mistake on Apple’s part. We have asked Apple for comment on the situation.

Update:

39 Responses to “Mid-2014 Mac mini listed on Apple Support page, but no 2014 Mac mini in sight”

1. Reblogged this on Taste of Apple and commented:
    Let’s hope so. It’s been months since the last time it was rumored. I know so many people waiting for this refresh to become a reality.

2. Yes! I have the Mac Mini (Late 2012), I’m happy with it, very. But I’m definitely in need of an upgrade and hopefully a dedicated GPU as I’m in need of good gaming performance.

• sorry to disappoint you, but you will NEVER EVER EVER get a good gaming performance from mac mini. like, EVER. also, mac mini will not have a dedicated gpu anymore. they’re going slimmer and slimmer (which is stupid if you ask me, but hey). so there’s that. and the new has well isn’t worth the update.

3. Just release it already! My 2010 model is long in the tooth, and I only bought that one a couple months before the 2011 model came out because it was such a long wait then too. I need something with SSD and much faster processor and possibly 16GB RAM.

4. CJ Sheets says:

I’m more interested in a new Apple TV.

5. Maybe Apple released an update to the Mac mini a month ago and it was just SOOO low key, they forgot to tell anyone.

That would be about the only acceptable excuse for the delay. Tim Cook thinks it was already done.

6. Looks like there will be a new iMac 27 too : “iMac (27-inch, Mid 2014)”. Only the 21.5 was announced.

• markpetereit says:

Yep, I’m waiting to upgrade my 2009 27″ iMac with a new 4K Retina 27″ iMac.

• @ Torben Vognsen: I don’t want to be insulting, but the idea that the only reason to get a Mac or that the only difference between a Mac and a PC is the retina display is just ludicrous. Retina displays are fine, they just aren’t anything that’s going to make a real difference for the average user.

Professional photographers and Videographers both need and appreciate retina displays, but the rest of us really do not. If you believe that you can see the “ugly pixels” without it, then you’ve been caught up in the marketing hype.

• Whoa! hold your horses @Mr. Grey. “The rest of us do not appreciate retina display”, I mean really? I am not living under the rock, I am neither a photographer nor a videographer but I appreciate the Retina display very much. It’s not a marketing Hype, every other display looks ugly after using a Retina Display (of a Mac PC) and it’s a reality. I also admit that I thought it was cliche in the beginning, but it has changed my perspective totally. So yeah! you must be one of the 4% who doesn’t appreciate a remarkable selling point of a Mac, no offense, I was too.

7. Joel Henson says:

I’ve been holding off on a Mini purchase for a long time now, hoping that an upgrade would be coming this year. I want one to replace my laptop, since my iPad has pretty much made that laptop obsolete.

• taylore90 says:

I’m in the same boat. I’ve had a mid-2008 black Macbook for quite a long time and it’s sluggish beyond belief. Just got an iPad Air at the beginning of this year with a Logitech Folio Keyboard case. Makes for a great laptop replacement. An updated Mac Mini for home would be perfect.

8. Even with the Mini’s “relative unimportance”, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this is true.

9. Rob Smithson says:

My 2011 Mac Mini (with 32g of ram) still handles everything with ease, I don’t know what you guys are running where you would even need a new one (besides games and editing HD pr0n)

10. “relative unimportance” Really? I hope Apple doesn’t see it that way.

11. rogifan says:

It’s not listed there anymore.

12. It looks like 2014 is the year of updates for every Mac computer *except* the one I’m waiting to buy, the iMac.

13. Mr. Mayo, “due to the relative unimportance of the product in the Mac lineup” is a poor choice of words. It reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the model in the current retail matrix. And yes, it sometimes SEEMS like Apple management feels the same way, I assure you the bean counters know different. Anyone in Apple retail outside of the Apple umbrella (the Apple Stores and edu) can tell you what role the mini plays when it comes to interfacing with the public. Consider the high percentage of new Apple customers that are “switchers” and compare to the financial demographics of the PC industry. Without the low-cost of the mini to “gateway” the conversation about Macintoshes, the Mac market share would be much worse I assure you.

Now, that doesn’t mean that Apple management doesn’t treat the mini with disrespect; they do. But you need to understand why, and it isn’t because the product is “relatively unimportant”…it is because Apple management, as snobbish and greedy as they are (and make no mistake, they are), do not respect the market that the mini represents. It is the dirty part of the PC market, the harder sell, having to dwell in the stupid herd of poor people rather than frolicking in the stupid herd of rich people. That the mini hasn’t been updated in two years is a form of punishment from Apple management. Oh sure, they’ll repeatedly extol how great the mini is, how it doesn’t require the latest and greatest CPU…right up until they release it and tout it having the latest and greatest hardware as a sales tactic, starting NOW. They’re selling a two-year-old product because they can, they get away with it with the Mac press, and the sales numbers reinforce their desired narrative demographic (people who buy Macs are wealthier and pay more).

To those of you who cannot believe that Apple management could be so spiteful, perhaps you should work for Apple sometime (or work with Apple retail in some capacity) and hear them speak such things from their own mouths. Until then, believe it or do not; I don’t care, your ignorance is your choice.

14. PMZanetti says:

Don’t tease me. I need an upgraded mini very badly…and am leaning toward an iMac instead, due to the extensive delay.

Look at all the comments on this and every article ever posted about the mini: “Relatively Unimportant” would not describe the mini at all. Owners are clamoring to update.

15. Mac mini is still there for me, and so is a 27″ iMac 2014. Crossing my fingers that it will come with yosemite.

16. Neal Douglas says:

‘Bout time! I will order one the minute they come out.

17. Awaiting the Next Gen of Mac mini. Hoping for a model with a high quality graphics card as a BTO.

18. Derek Currie says:

It’s midnight EDT where I’m located. I’m looking at the web page with the ‘leak’. I’m looking right at that ‘leak’ right now. The picture at the top of this article’s page is there. The top line says it:
    “Mac mini (Mid 2014) 5 5 – – – -”

If the ‘leak’ was pulled, it’s back again! I saved a PDF of the page, if the ‘leak’ falls into its wormhole again.

19. Apple, you put out a new Mac mini and you will get more money than I was planning on giving you this year.