Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 10.04.51 AM

Apple this morning has released OS X 10.10 Yosemite Developer Preview 5. The new update brings various performance improvements and bug fixes. The previous Developer Preview brought some minor user-interface enhancements and significant speed improvements. Apple also released iOS 8 beta 5. We’ll be updating this post live with new discoveries as they are made. You can send us what you find to tips@9to5mac.com. You can find what’s new in this developer preview, below:

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 10.06.42 AM

- Also new Xcode, Server, and Configurator seeds.

- Various Swift programming languages improvements

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 10.35.15 AM

- Calculator is more transparent than in the previous beta

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 10.39.10 AM

- System Preferences top bar tweaked.

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 10.48.35 AM

- Tweaked Volume Control, Brightness Control, and Dictation HUD-like popups.

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 11.00.28 AM

- New Setting to show full URLs in Safari 8.0.

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 12.03.01 PM

- White text in Calculator in Notification Center widget.

- Spotlight blur is enhanced.

32 Responses to “Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 5 with Safari improvements, UI changes”

1. Do you think there will be a Public Beta update later this week?

• the impression that was given was that public beta updates would be closer to monthly.

that said, PB1 was based on DP4, which in my experience was fairly unstable (the wifi bug being one of the worst offenders) and I can safely say that DP5 fixes a huge number of stability/major inconvenience bugs, and that might up your chances of seeing an update as I’m sure apple wants those fixed in the PB.

all speculation, though – never know what’s going to happen until they do it. :)

• Oh yeah I know its all up to Apple. Was just speculating and being hopefully. Most likely will be later this month.

I haven’t had too many problems but I am glad to hear that so many bugs have been fixed. Hopefully more don’t show up!

• Andrew John says:

Fairly unstable? Are you kidding? These betas have been very stable with a few minor bugs, for some, but not all testers. Before making blanket statements like “fairly unstable”, use some context to back up such comments, or direct evidential experience. From DP1 to DP5, I’ve had no major issues to report, only very minor ones. “Fairly unstable” it is not.

• In my opinion – fairly unstable = would not use it in a production environment. The earlier releases I would agree with. Too many applications were failing to load, rendering issues, application random crashes and occasional restarts. Most of the time it was usable – but unstable it was. This DP5 release seems to have solved 90% of the instability I have seen to looking like a massive improvement.

2. Calculator in the Notification Center has much cleaner look – http://cl.ly/image/1W300X3K1x0F

3. Anyone else missing the handoff setting in general system preferences? Haven’t seen it yet, and can’t figure out how to activate it via terminal or anything or to get it to show up.

• Speculation is that if you have an older machine lacking Bluetooth LE, handoff/continuity isn’t supported and you won’t get the checkbox. Bluetooth USB adapters also appear to be unsupported even if they support LE. No official word from Apple on this (I believe) so nobody knows if the restriction will be in the final version.

• thecork3004 says:

Its actually a lack of Wifi AC at the moment. Mid 2011 MacBook Air’s have bluetooth LE and don’t have the option for handoff. SMS and phone call’s work, just not handoff. Hopefully apple will be enabling it for older macs at release.

4. Ty Webb says:

It has build number 14A314h. A full installer is also available, which you will need if you want to make a bootable usb installer. It is easier to do for DP5 than for DP1.

To make a bootable USB installer for yosemite DP5, format an 8 GB USB drive which should be called Untitled and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Get a code for DP5 in the mac or ios dev center and redeem it in the mac app store. After the installer app downloads it should be called Install OS X Yosemite Developer Preview.app and should be in your Applications folder.

Run this in terminal and wait about 20 minutes:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/Untitled –applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite\ Developer\ Preview.app –nointeraction

5. Blind or visually impaired VoiceOver users, beware: this update badly mangles the voice when reading or typing individual characters regardless of the application. The voice, no matter which one is selected, sounds just fine in any other instance. To reproduce this bug, turn on VoiceOver and start typing in any text field, regardless of application. Or, interact with a block of text and try to read the text character by character.

6. Gary Dauphin says:

This is so stupid and it makes me … angry. I am in the Beta program, so what, now I get no / delayed updates? The process, as used for 20 years, has been software goes from Developer to Alpha to Beta to Golden Master. If the software is up to Beta standards already, why are they updating the Developer version at all? Sounds to me like the Beta was just Beta for the features that we have working so far…

7. I hope PB2 isn’t too far behind. I can’t use mail for longer than about 15 seconds before it crashes on PB1. Having to draft every email in pages first, then quickly cut and paste in the hopes the app stays open long enough is a right pain in the ass….

8. Can everyone please leave them feedback to return gesture back and forward swiping in the Finder?! The removal of this was one of the most simple minded, idiotic, moronic things, Apple has ever done.

9. They should make the overall audio louder because I find it ridiculous that we need to buy a software to make our macbooks louder.

10. Done Lopez says:

the sound is muted
    is everyone got same problem or just me?

11. jabarker says:

Looks like they also introduced the location sharing (aka find my friends) to messages in this release. You initiate location sharing from the Mac, but you can view the location of those that share theirs with you. Simply click on the “details” in the top right corner of the message box, and it will show in the popup.

12. Still the lightblue hurts-my-head ugly folders?

13. vkd108 says:

Along with the regular and so-called dark modes, will there be adult and children’s versions too? So far we only seem to have seen details from the kiddy-oriented graphics

14. This update is brutal- it has caused so many of my programs to crash versus previous previews. 4 worked fine. 3 was ok. 5 = awful. Anyone else having problems?

15. Scott Weidig says:

Only issue I am continuously having is Exchange crashes mail client

16. My iMac, which normally starts from an external Thunderbolt sad drive, failed and no longer starts immediately after installing the beta on the internal drive. Computer was working perfectly before installation. Don’t know if it’s a crazy co-incidence that my computer failed the moment I installed it. Apple just replaced the internal drive, but that didn’t work, so now they are trying the graphics card. Never would have installed this if I knew it might destroy my computer!

17. Jauhari says:

Does OS X Yosemite Public Beta and Developer Beta is Different?