Screenshot 2014-08-18 09.58.10

Right on schedule, Apple has released the sixth preview of the upcoming OS X Yosemite to developers today. This new seed comes two weeks following the previous release, and it likely continues to bring performance enhancements, interface tweaks, and bug fixes. We’ll be updating this post with the changes in Preview 6 as they are discovered. If you find something new, you can let us know at tips@9to5mac.com. The release version of Yosemite is currently scheduled for the later half of October, and it will ship separately from iOS 8, which is not seeing a new beta today. Here’s what’s new:

Screenshot 2014-08-18 10.03.35

- Xcode 6 beta 6 is also out.

Screenshot 2014-08-18 10.25.45

- All icons in System Preferences redesigned

Screenshot 2014-08-18 10.28.03

- Several new wallpapers to choose from (which you can download from here).

Screenshot 2014-08-18 10.25.21

- New charging icon in the Menu Bar

- Do Not Disturb is back for Notification Center

- Volume and Brightness control HUD designs tweaked (again).

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 2.50.51 PM

- New FontBook, Script Editor, and Image Capture app icons. FontBook’s app has actually seen a slight redesign as well.

Screenshot 2014-08-18 10.44.41

- New icons for Mail Preferences inside Mail.app.

Screenshot 2014-08-18 10.47.11

- Dashboard (remember that?) now has a translucent background.

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 1.47.13 PM

- New Diagnostics and Usage page upon startup.

Screenshot 2014-08-18 10.49.39

- New Safari Preferences icons as well.

- Text in notification banners is slightly smaller.

Screenshot 2014-08-18 12.38.00

- There is also a Dictation update for English

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 3.07.28 PM

-Safari message when a page cannot load now matches iOS

95 Responses to “Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6 with new wallpapers & icons”

1. xbepax4224 says:

There’s no ios 8 beta 6??

2. Downloading now … I wonder if they’ll be releasing iOS 8 Beta 6 today … hmmmm

3. Curious to see how stable this one is…

Liked by 1 person

• All the Yosemite developer builds have been pretty stable in my opinion.

• Very stable for me. Have been using it without an issue since Beta 1. I haven’t had battery issues or applications that don’t work, if the apps don’t work the first time i delete and retry, usually that solves my issue, but ive only had to do that one time and it was for iFunBox that i downloaded the other day, but other than that everything has worked flawless for me.
      Hopefully i wont have any issues with school programs i am leaving for college this weekend. (fingers crossed for no issues!)

4. where can we see change log

5. I’m using the beta version; will I see this update today also?

6. Taylor Snow says:

Some new system pref icons…

7. didn’t iOS only go to beta 6 last year? There was that weird emergency beta fix. I wonder if they will release it next monday and that will be the last one before release.

8. if you use parallels desktop, i would be cautious about this update. mine won’t work anymore… :S

9. New: Voice messaging in iMessage, Do Not Disturb toggle in NC, new battery icon that’s not green.

10. is it stable enough to run now as your default os

11. garand says:

The Terminal icon is new. I don’t like it! Can someone post the ICS of the pre-beta 6 Terminal.app icon?

12. HooijmansNL says:

Does anybody wants to share the new wallpapers? So that I can download them? :)

13. The one icon I wish they’d change is the System Preferences icon. It doesn’t match the rest of the icons, in my opinion, and just looks off. I hope that is reconsidered before the final release.

14. Yamil Manzur says:

Is compatible with Adobe CC 2014 apps or sketchup2014 ?

15. The translucency of the safari window chrome is gone for me?

16. Mok says:

Some of these icons look horrendous, including the dock and mission control. Why have those black backgrounds in the icon? Clashes with everything else. Also, some of the redesigns are pathetic, while others have barely been touched (ie. international? Come on, that looks hideous). How hard is it to have some consistency? Every single icon looks like it was designed by a different person- no consistency in color properties, sizes, complexities, gradients, flatness, etc.

Liked by 1 person

17. For those of you who want the new wallpapers, you can download them here on my blog: http://dmarakowski.com/blog/

18. Shawn McBee says:

On every Yosemite Beta, I have had HORRIBLE lagging when switching between applications. Pretty much every time I switch apps (or sometimes even windows within an app) I get 3-4 seconds of beachball before I can do anything… except on DP4. I was THRILLED when DP4 (which I am on at this moment) seemed to function as well as my Mavericks install. I thought it had been sorted, so when I updated to DP5, I was mortified to find that it had the same issue as the first 3.

Now I don’t know if I should chance moving on to 6 (it takes an awfully long time to downgrade) or just stick with 4.

And, if you think my lagging is due to a substandard computer, it’s a Latest Model Mac Mini Quad Core i7 with 16GB of RAM and a fusion drive. Should be fine.

19. I can only download Xcode 6 beta 5.

20. I hope they change the “Macintosh HDD” icon into a SSD drive icon and as cherry on top rename it to “Macintosh SSD” by default

21. Ale Mello says:

Did someone miss that class about perspective? Check FontBook and Contacts new icons. In the second you can’t see the leafs inside the book. In FontBook you can. And those colours, omg… I don’t like it. I’ll probably create a whole new icon set to use here.

22. they posted my tip on the image capture icon…i am famous

23. hyggehejsa says:

Can’t wait to get the official edition!

24. Apple has renamed about every app that doesn’t match the iOS counterpart name, and added the iOS apps that were missing. Now why is System Preferences not called Settings already??

25. One think i wish they will Do in Next update or final release is when mac is fully charred 100% an alert will speak out like other acknowledgements has in mac sows can discharge it from over charge.

26. Activity monitor has changed significantly with DP6, gone are the tabs for CPU, Memory, Energy, Disk and Network. The new look has been greatly simplified and seems a little lacking. I hope they add some functionality back with future updates.

27. After installing DP6, the Finder is broken for me. I can’t access it at all. Anybody else having this issue?

28. The volume sound has changed after the upgrade plus I can turn the off the sounds for the volume control.

29. Upgrade to 10.10 beta 6 has killed my parallels 9.0.24237 Anyone with similar problem figured out a fix?

30. vkd108 says:

Here’s hoping that one day there will be a Snow Leopard ‘theme’ option. Either that or adult and kids versions, and all this bright, cartoon candy floss dross stays in the kids side only.

31. not popping up on my software update, i have the public preview will i get this update

• theronster says:

I have zero I dea what you’re talking about dude.

It’s clearly a much more tasteful and better designed look for a modern OS. Snow Leopard looks chunky and dated by comparison.

But then you probably said the sane about iOS 7. I find that a lot of people who want to give the impression they understand design think it proves they have taste if they declare they don’t like the latest version of Apple’s designs.

Me, I love them. Very much a design set that will comfortably last the next 5 years.

32. Omar Fierros says:

I’m not sure if this was there already and never really noticed it, I also read about this feature coming to iOS 8 Beta 6, but Map show you Yelp, website and additional information to a business or place, I love this feature!

33. How do you update Yosemite? I have Yosemite Beta 1 already installed (installed it weeks ago), but when going to the Mac App Store to look for the update, it says “No Updates Available.” Anyone know???

34. Conrad says:

Looks like they also made the Wifi icon darker in the menu bar.

35. Andre Moore says:

I was hoping the public beta would be updated at least once or twice. The public beta hasn’t been updated since it came out.

36. Most of the new flat icons are inconsistent and bone ugly. It is important that an option to continue using the existing, superior 3D icons and dock is provided. The existing icons provide more detail, are well known and are impressive to see. (Clearly, current, OSX icons are superior to the ugly, flat icons used on other, inferior operating systems.)

37. i use parallels was working fine with beta 5, now with beta 6 doesn’t want to work…….

38. handoff stop working when i update to dp6…

39. Anyone else has this issue?After booting up Yosemite DP 6 Finder is going crazy screen icons are fading back and fort only solution click on an app like Appstore then click on desktop and do a CMD + N to open a New Finder window, then flickering icons and crazyness stops….Have to do it each time..Never had this before

40. I know this is a small thing, but has anyone noticed that in the new System Preferences the clock icon for Date & Time settings is set to 10:10:06?

41. Not stable at all on a 17″ MPB. Prior previews where fine. This one is displaying serious graphics drivers bugs and crashing the machine when graphics driven programs such as Google Earth and Garmin BaseCamp are run.

42. Using Yosemite Developer Beta 6 on a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro and no problems with this version. Very stable (the last two releases were stable too).

43. The first thing I notice is the the icons in Mail and the notifications other than the first line (who the email is from) are even smaller than before and the text just as faded as before. Plus now we have to manually stretch the page to fit the screen on everything we open. Doesn’t Apple want us to be able to even read mail?