14896412328_666fd5d1e8_o

The New York Times is weighing in on Apple’s imminent iPhone event, corroborating past information as well as adding some new tidbits about Apple’s newest iPhones (the ‘iPhone 6′) and its brand new wearable (dubbed ‘iWatch’).

Most interestingly, it says that the iWatch will feature a flexible display. Assumedly, this will allow the product to morph to fit comfortably on user’s arms. KGI’s Ming-Chi Kuo predicted Apple’s use of a flexible panel in July. The screen is protected by sapphire glass. As 9to5Mac has reported countless times, the device will feature health and fitness tracking capabilities, for things like footsteps and heart rate. The report claims Apple has “put an enormous amount of time and money” to make the sensors track “much more accurately than existing fitness devices”.

In terms of software, the device will rely on HealthKit for health tracking and Handoff, one of Apple’s iOS 8 continuity features, to seamlessly share content between devices. Handoff could be used for sharing SMS texts between the phone and the watch, for instance. 9to5Mac discussed how Handoff might interact with Apple’s wearable a couple of months ago.

It has a flexible display panel that is protected by a cover composed of sapphire, a type of tougher glass, they said. The device’s circuit board, which includes its sensors and chips, was described as tiny, about the size of a postage stamp.

9to5Mac first reported on Apple’s plans for miniaturisation of components in January, to make such a product possible.

Sources also hint that Apple has developed technologies to be able to pack several different sensors into a single chipset for miniaturization purposes.

The NYT report also corroborates almost every detail of the iPhone 6 leaks; two models, 4.7 and 5.5 inch, tapered edges. This is the design that has been observed in mockup videos for months now. What’s interesting is that the piece brings new information about how Apple will manage the increase in screen size. The iPhone 6 will apparently feature a ‘one-handed mode’, where the system keyboard and apps will reflow such that they can be used with one only one hand. This mode can be enabled or disabled according to user preferences.

NFC will be present on both the watch and the iPhone 6, to make for easier intra-device pairing as well as power Apple’s mobile payments initiative. iPhone 6 owners will be able to pay for items at select merchants, without touching their wallets for cash or credit cards.

All will be revealed on September 9th. Earlier today, Apple confirmed that a livestream of the event will be provided. It is even hyping the announcements with a countdown on its website. 9to5Mac will of course have full coverage too.

82 Responses to “NYT: iWatch to feature flexible display panel, wireless charging, iPhone 6 to have ‘one handed mode’”

1. Ry L says:

I don’t understand how a flexible display could be protected by inflexible saphire

Liked by 1 person

2. herb02135go says:

My Galaxy S5 has a one-handed mode.
    It’s a custom feature that the user can tailor to their hand size. And it’s easily activated or disabled

It’s very nice and provides a good option for those who want a larger screen but worry about the usability of a larger device.

Liked by 1 person

3. PMZanetti says:

Would be better if the iPhone itself detects whether its being held with 1 or 2 hands ;)

• herb02135go says:

That would be cool. Who knows?
      I think you Apple fans will appreciate this feature.

• It’s life easier when you don’t talk trash about Apple constantly? I think you’ll appreciate the iWatch and I think you’ll be able to use it despite owning an Andriod based phone, although you obviously won’t get nearly all of the features, like pairing and deep interconnectivity. Even if you can’t use it though, I think it will bring about other companies trying to innovate in this space.

• herb02135go says:

Thanks, but I gave up strapping measuring devices to my body years ago.

I don’t think a huge percent of the population wants to do that but, heck, it’s not my money!

• No. What if a someone has a hand large enough to use it one handed? The iPhone automatically shrinking what is on screen could make it more difficult to use.

4. DanCMos says:

Liked by 1 person

• herb02135go says:

And people laugh at Google glasses.
      There’s a reason people don’t wear watches.

• You haven’t seen the iWatch so you haven’t seen a single thing that looks remotely close to it, I can assure you none of the concepts come close. They’re almost all hideous.

• Eli Matar says:

“Rolex and Omega watches are more handsome”… Like Steve once said about Touch Screen Interface and how people wont adapt to it: “death will take care of it”.
      The generation that finds Omega and Rolex handsome is slowly disappearing my friend. Ask your little nephew or niece what they think of an analog watch.
      The new generation doesnt give a #### about analog stuff anymore.

• Cun Con says:

Rolex and Omega are considered more jewelry than timepiece. Not everyone wears jewelry all the time. I, in fact, own an Omega Sea Master, but haven’t worn it for so long. It sat in my drawer collecting dusts. Now I think Rolex and Omega watches are overpriced and outdated. Time for modern, multi-functional time pieces.

• greenbelt2csp says:

Until the power goes out. Good luck fighting zombies without a time piece. My mechanical self-winder will last forever, or until I get eaten. ;)

• degraevesofie says:

> These “watches” are really not that attractive. Flexible or not. Omega, Rolex, etc… remain much more handsome and timeless.

I haven’t seen Apple’s watch (if indeed it exists) and I agree there are many watches out there that look so much nicer than what passes for a “smart watch” these days. However, Omega and Rolex don’t do it for me at all. (My husband has a Movado that looks stunning; almost as nice as the Rado I suggested he get instead :-P)

5. acslater017 says:

Doubtful about the one-handed mode. It’s almost never in Apple’s MO to do “modes” – they would never do a Samsung Easy Mode, or Windows Vista Starter/Home/Home Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate.

They try to solve the problem at a fundamental level rather than make the user toggle. I think they mostly have solved the drawbacks of a large screen. The iPhone 6 looks thin, with rounded edges, thin bezels, and a relocated sleep/wake button. iOS 8 has predictive typing, third-party keyboards, persistent back gestures, auto layout, etc.

Liked by 1 person

• herb02135go says:

The Samsung “toggle” is swiping the display. No need to go into a menu each time.

The other things you mentioned help though.
      Can you increase screen size using the volume control buttons? The S5 does.

• It’s an extremely unintuitive gesture on the S5 and the mode itself doesn’t just shrink the UI but shrinks the content too, leaving huge black borders that completely defeat the single great purpose of a large display. It looks plain wrong, and the ugly UI right around the miniaturized display isn’t helping the usability of buttons and gestures on the edges of the display either.

• pretty sure apple does “modes.” Ever use an iPad? It has a split screen keyboard. SMH…

• Apparently you don’t know the dimensions (or very close to what they will be) of the 5.5″ iPhone 6. It is HUGE. It’s not possible you could use it one-handed unless Apple came up with great software changes.

• acslater017 says:

It may not have solved for everything, but there are MUCH fewer situations where a user needs to reach to the top compared to iOS 6/iPhone 5. The “Back” button in the top left corner is now a persistent back swipe. Unlocking is done by TouchID and sleep/wake is moved to the side. QuickType will reduce the need to jump around the keyboard. There’s a few things left, but the situation is quite a bit improved since the last hardware revision in 2012.

• Robert Nixon says:

iBooks has a pretty nice “Night mode” in iOS 8. Same with Maps.

And don’t forget about “Portrait vs. Landscape” modes.

I’m certain there are others. Apple would be stupid to ignore the fact that the context their devices are used is not immutable.

• Exactly. Plus Yosemite has dark mode. iOS REALLY needs a dark mode too. It would be so amazing to have a light/dark mode button in control center, just tap it and it instantly changes to a much more suitable experience for nighttime/daytime. Even at minimum brightness it’s just straining on the eyes. Look at the movies section of the iTunes app at night, it’s sooooo much more pleasant on your eyes.

• acslater017 says:

I guess I should have bee more specific. Obviously I didn’t mean that Apple devices never adapt to different situations or needs of the user. Reader View, Accessibility, auto brightness, etc. are examples of “modes” in the literal sense.

What I meant to say is that Apple rarely changes UI layout unless it is absolutely necessary (e.g. landscape vs. portrait). For example, there is no “Mouse Mode” vs. “Trackpad mode” button. They didn’t take the Windows 8 route by gluing iOS UI on top of OS X. I can’t envision Apple designers taking the easy way out saying, “OK team, it’s hard to use big phones with one hand. What do we do? I know! One Hand Mode!”

Apple will take the time to consider the underlying design issue, which is what I think they’re doing with iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 hardware. “Throw a mode at it” and shaking up the UI is rarely a solution that Apple takes, and I don’t think Maps dark mode or display orientation disprove that.

6. j0hnf23 says:

I’m more and more excited with every rumor for the next big thing :-)

7. Ahh, “one-handed mode” for more celebrity photo leaks. Good job Apple! Wink wink nudge nudge.

Liked by 2 people

8. estrith22 says:

Wireless charging, NFC, Better sensors? I guess we’ll find out on 9/9/14…

9. herb02135go says:

Reading a map on the iwatch? ??
    What a joke. And we thought people texting and driving are idiotic!

I’d say this article is what we should expect. The WSJ is a favored media outlet and the story was likely leaked by Apple PR.

10. Put one and 2 together and you will figure out the multifunction power button on the side will be used to switch from one to two hand mode.

I have used every iPhone 2 handed from the 3GS, 4 and 5 so it really doesn’t matter to me.

Liked by 1 person

11. patstar5 says:

I have a 5.5 inch phone, when people tell me it is too big, I tell them the next iPhone will be this size. They are like, “no way”. Well i know they won’t be getting the 6l, I think 4.7 inches is as big as you can get while still being able to use it easily in one hand (moto x is great). I wonder who will complain about the 4.7 inch model then, because for most people it should be good size. I wonder if they will release an iPod touch with bigger screen… Well I am not going back to ios but interested in what apple is releasing. If they ever decide to go cross platform I might buy a product from them again (like a mac).

• I have a 5 and I (naturally) really like it, but every time I hold my wife’s 4 I think “man this thing is perfect!”. If I had my way, they would have kept the 4/4S style around as a cheaper option. Hell, why not even update the internals a little? Everything about that phone is great. If you ask me, it might be Apple’s greatest product. Ever. But you know, that’s just me. I’ll probably eventually get a 6S or 7, or whatever they end up calling it in whatever the smallest size is, but I’ll always miss that 4. What a great product.

12. One handed mode is the stupidest thing ever, at least if implemented like in Samsung phones. If you want a phone that operates with one hand, buy a smaller one.

13. Some nice potential features here. Looking forward to the big day. Can’t wait to see what pans out.

14. Shrinivas says:

Reblogged this on SHRINIVAS GANESAN and commented:
    The device will feature health and fitness tracking capabilities, for things like footsteps and heart rate.

• herb02135go says:

Pedometer? Gear Fit has it.
      Heart rate monitor? Gear Fit has it.

Why is everyone so excited about features that are already available?

• rettun1 says:

Because it’s a cool product from a company that some of us like to follow. But you already knew that because you aren’t dumb, you just like harassing people.

• Because sammy’s implementation is limited and shows a tremendous lack of vision. Apple’s new “Health” app will neatly collect much more data that sammy’s wearable, combine it with whichever other health/fitness devices you have from third parties connected to Health via the Healthkit framework, provide relevant information instead of raw data and even directly connect to your personal healthcare when needed. This “feature” as a whole is not “already available”.

It’s a zoo on android. Every hw manufacturer tries to make their own solution, they don’t work together at all, Google has no native solution, and as a result sammy has to do it all by themselves, creating a gigabytes thick layer on top of android that makes maintenance so complex making simple things like system updates from Google impossible to deploy instantaneously accros samsung users.

• oomu (@oomu) says:

we don’t care what other half-thought product has.

• Galaxy S has a heart rate monitor on the phone itself, most embarrassing gimmick possible, oh no wait there are so many embarrassingly bad gimmicks from Samsung and android I don’t know which is the worst. Anyway, a heart rate monitor and pedometer are EASY. Wrist worn fitness trackers have had those for years, the difference is that Apple’s will be waaaayyyyyy more accurate, and provide numerous other sensors which Samsung can’t/doesn’t.

Not only that, but this device will be for homekit as well. With Touch ID it will remain authenticated while it’s on your wrist and only lock when taken off your wrist, thus it has the unique ability to invisibly unlock all of your smart devices and other Apple products just by proximity to them. Imagine an invisible aura around you which will unlock things when you get close enough to them, and lock things when you get far enough away, seamlessly, and invisibly.

15. I find it impressive, that Apple has been able to keep the design of the watch/wearable under the radar. With all the leaks of the design of the iPhone you can find, there is not a single one (not that I’m aware of) that shows how the watch will look.

And I agree that practically all the concepts out there looks like crap. An oversized watch was okay back in the 80’s when it came with a build-in calculator. But today it has to be more sleak. The only concept I would consider buying is the one by Todd Hamilton http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/21/iwatch-concept-shows-curved-display-fuelband-design/ . I really really hope Apple won’t make just another big-block-on-a-wristband like alle the other current smart watches.

16. Nono Sierra says:

Is it waterproof or are least water-resistant?