First of all, we’d like to thank all of the Apple Store employees who have been sending in tips over the past week on the new Store stuff. Thank you and we hope to continue to hear from you guys (and gals!). We’re hearing there is more to come
We’re pasting without (much) editing some of the different tips we’ve gotten below:
- As noted, the home button does not work when Smart Sign app is running so it cannot be exited. The only way to get the home button to work again is to reset the iPad using the home and lock buttons.
- The Apple Store App will be updated tomorrow, and will be available world wide. It will support CTO orders, and should also be available as an iPad optimised app.
- The Display iPads have a different model number than current iPad 2s. There has been some concern about the cameras: Is Apple watching us from HQ? Listening? Customers? Also, we’ve been told there is a bunch of security stuff on the new iPads. If they leave the Store they keep calling home with their Wifi coordinates.
- Apple is giving the old Pioneer tvs to one lucky Apple Employee per store. We had just upgraded all of them to new Sonys
- The iPads are charged using a kind of tape, which goes from the cable which enters the plastic casing, to the dock connector (you can hardly see it!). This charges the iPad and alarms it – if it is removed, the alarm will sound.
- There was some speculation about how the iPads are powered in the new display. They are connected via ribbon cables that hook into the dock connector. All the cables are custom made for each iPad, and also power the product they are advertising. All the content on the iPads is loaded from a server, nothing is stored locally except the custom application. The home buttons are disabled. We load them up, provision them to be signage iPads, boot the application, tell the iPad where in the store it’s located and that’s it. Apple can change prices and info live across all of retail
- We have one of the smaller stores in the market and we received 100 iPad 2’s for the smart signs. The app that runs the information disables the home button on the iPad (obviously) and the image is all encompassing. If products move tables we won’t necessarily have to move smart signs just tell the iPads to display different product information. There is a specially designed flat ribbon cable that powers the iPad, no inductive charging or anything like that.
- Pasted below is a close up of the back of the acrylic enclosure
Thanks Jake Zarobsky
- Apple Store 2.0 gets official: interactive iPads replace paper signs, more (9to5mac.com)
- Screenshots of Apple’s impressive new Daily Download iPad app ,as more Apple Store 2.0 news (9to5mac.com)
- Is Aperture coming to iPad? (9to5mac.com)
- iPad branded games for cats prove how intuitive touch screens are (9to5mac.com)
- Yahoo! Messenger brings cross-platform video calling to iPad 2 (9to5mac.com)
- Foxconn fire may have affected iPad 2 production, Apple ups shipping times to 1-2 weeks (9to5mac.com)
- iPad 2 works with the original iPad dock, iPad keyboard dock still available to order (9to5mac.com)
- Apple Store 2.0 revealed: Startup Sessions, interactive iPad signage, new sound/display systems, new app? (9to5mac.com)
- Explosion rocks Foxconn’s iPad 2 manufacturing plant (9to5mac.com)
- SynthTronica, possibly the best iPad synthesizer (9to5mac.com)
- iPad-loving corporate America clueless about tablets (9to5mac.com)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.