Whether you’ve been considering changing how you use Facebook for a while or the latest security breach of 30 million accounts has made up your mind, follow along for how to deactivate or delete your Facebook account, or dial in your privacy settings.
There are a few options when it comes to changing how you use Facebook. First, you can adjust and tighten up your security and privacy settings if you’d like to continue using the platform.
Alternately, you can use the temporary or semi-permanent option of deactivating your account, which doesn’t fully delete it.
Lastly, you can opt to permanently delete your Facebook account. We’ll take a look at how to accomplish all three below, skip to whichever section you’d like if you’re confident about what you’d like to do.
Since deleting your account is not reversible, you may want to download a copy of your Facebook data. See Facebook’s help page on that here.
How to deactivate or delete your Facebook account
- Launch the Facebook iOS app and tap on the hamburger icon (three lines) in the bottom right corner
- Swipe down to the bottom and tap on Settings & Privacy, then Account Settings
- Swipe down again and choose Account Ownership and Control
- Tap Deactivation and Deletion
Here’s what this process looks like:
Here’s how Facebook describes deactivating an account:
If you deactivate, your account your profile won’t be visible to other people on Facebook and people won’t be able to search for you. Some information, such as messages you sent to friends, may still be visible to others.
How to permanently delete your Facebook account on the web
- Visit https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account
- Login in with your credentials if needed
- Click Delete My Account
- Follow the prompts to permanently delete your account
Here are a few more important details on what deleting your account entails:
When you delete your account, people won’t be able to see it on Facebook. It may take up to 90 days from the beginning of the deletion process to delete all of the things you’ve posted, like your photos, status updates or other data stored in backup systems. While we are deleting this information, it is inaccessible to other people using Facebook.
How to change your Facebook privacy settings
- Open the Facebook iOS app
- Tap on the hamburger icon (three lines) in the bottom right corner
- Swipe down to the bottom and tap on Settings & Privacy, then Privacy Shortcuts
- Go through the following privacy settings to adjust them to your liking
Follow along with the images below for more help:
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- How to protect your iPhone data with privacy controls built in to iOS 11
- How to compose 2:1 video in Final Cut Pro X that’s better formatted for today’s smartphones [Video]
- How to wirelessly charge your AirPods case for about $10 in 3 easy steps
- How to easily change the color of individual folders in macOS [Video]
- How to find a lost iPhone even when it’s set to vibrate/silent
- How to check your iPhone’s warranty & repair coverage