Following the official release of iOS 11.3 to all customers on Thursday, Apple will release the first iOS 11.4 developer beta for iPhone and iPad today. The new beta version should be available on Apple’s Developer Center and over-the-air for devices with the beta profile installed near the top of the hour.
9to5Mac Happy Hour
As for changes included in iOS 11.4, we’ll dig in as soon as the new developer betas are released and update accordingly. Apple first teased out iOS 11.4 last week in reference to its new education tools, although mentions of iOS 11.4 were dialed back before today’s release.
Apple previewed its new Schoolwork app for students and ClassKit API for third-party apps which should be the highlight of the release. iOS 11.3 which is now available to all customers includes four new Animoji for iPhone X, iPhone throttling controls for older batteries, Business Chat for Messages, and much more.
For iOS 11.4, we’ll be looking for the return of AirPlay 2, stereo support for HomePod, Messages on iCloud, and any signs of AirPower support. Stay tuned for changes within the hour, and catch up on last week’s software updates below:
- iOS 11.3 with new Animoji, iPhone throttling controls, much more coming today (U: Now available)
- Apple releasing first HomePod software update alongside iOS 11.3 today (U: Now available)
- watchOS 4.3 for Apple Watch coming today with iPhone Music control, smarter Siri watch face, more (U: Now available)
- tvOS 11.3 for Apple TV 4 and Apple TV 4K now available, adds frame rate matching to fourth-gen
- Apple releases macOS 10.13.4 update for High Sierra with iMac Pro wallpaper, enhanced eGPU support
iOS 11.4 beta 1 release notes follow:
Notes and Known Issues
- When streaming a video from the YouTube app via Airplay, audio might lag behind the video by 2-3 seconds. (36833829)
- When streaming a video from the YouTube app to a single Apple TV, only the audio might play out of the Apple TV. (36833829)
- Workaround: Use startSecureConnection to establish a secure connection.
- The shared web credentials API always returns the error “Autofill disabled”. (36989569)
- In certain circumstances playback might get stuck at the end of the first track. (38806871)
- Facial landmarks identified by the Vision framework may flicker in temporal use cases such as video. (32406440)
- Debugging a disabled Messages extension may cause Messages to crash. (33657938)
- Workaround: Before starting the debug session, enable the extension by tapping the More (…) button to show the list of apps, then tapping the Edit button, and then tapping the switch to turn on the extension.
- After a simulated iOS device starts up, it’s not possible to pull down the Lock screen. (33274699)
- Workaround: Lock and unlock the simulated device and then reopen Home screen.
Changes we’ve discovered:
- Messages in iCloud has returned for testing after being included in iOS 11.3 beta and not the release
- AirPlay 2 returns when used with tvOS 11.4
- HomePod stereo support returns in beta, but requires unreleased HomePod beta firmware to work