You may have heard there’s a new iOS update out and you should update from the beta … every time you unlock your iPhone or iPad. While iOS 12 is technically still in beta, Apple has issued the twelfth developer beta version (and tenth public beta version) to address the pesky alert that started spamming users last night.
New in iOS 12
iOS 12 includes several significant changes for iPhone and iPad including performance improvements, especially on older devices; ARKit 2.0 with shared experiences; refined search and sharing in Photos; more Siri access in third-party apps and Siri Shortcuts based on Workflow; updates to Stocks, Voice Memos, Apple Books, and Apple News; use management features including updates to Do Not Disturb, more manageable notifications, and Screen Time parental controls; Memoji in Messages; FaceTime between up to 32 users; and much more.
We also saw several changes in betas 2 through 4 including:
- Podcasts app now shows Now Playing indicator on currently playing chapters (chapter support is new to iOS 12)
- New splash screen for updated Voice Memos app
- New splash screen for Screen Time in Settings, includes Down Time walkthrough for parents
- New arrow launcher for Shortcuts in Spotlight
- iPhone-only apps on iPad now use iPhone 6 version, not iPhone 4 version (…Instagram…)
- Softer location icon in status bar
- Time Travel references removed from Watch app –> Clock
- Clear All Notifications now has a springy animation
- Can now swipe to clear alerts in one swipe (like iOS 11)
- Apple Watch Face Gallery now only highlights new Siri watch face updates (previously showed watchOS 4 faces)
- Voice Memos for iPad redesigned
- FaceTime effect picker tweaked
- CarPlay appears to be fixed when using side and backup cameras
- Watch app now shows third party apps that work with Siri watch face
- 11 Activity app stickers that animate and do not require Special Challenge to unlock
- iOS automatic updates suggested during setup
- Even more new Activity stickers in Messages
- Setting wallpaper with a photo now resolved, couldn’t reposition before
- Cellular usage now organized by highest amount of data usage, not alphabetical
- Activity app has tweaked icons for workouts
- Tweaked disclosure icon on passes in Wallet (i → …)
- 1x/2x for iPhone apps on iPad now has expand arrows instead
- Animoji gains more lip style choices, ear ring colors now have shine
- Battery Health no longer labeled beta
- Screen Time presentation improved
- Splash screen for Photos features
- Lyrics search in Apple Music now promoted in Search
- FaceTime has new tones when connecting and disconnecting from a call
- Default iOS 10 wallpaper removed (greenish-blue waves), wallpaper sorting order changed
- Home app removes existing wallpapers, now includes three color options
- Music app has a new splash screen promoting music video features
- Tweaked AirPlay icon on lock screen
- Photo library access button in Camera app in Messages
- Volume buttons in Messages camera now take photo
- Nice new splash screen for Apple Books
- Group FaceTime delayed :(
- Notable performance issues before launching each app, consider skipping beta 7 [Update: This appears to be severe app indexing that is resolved in time. Mileage may vary.]
- New splash screen for Messages with Photos button explainer
- Measure app icon refreshed, now horizontal look (Thanks Max!)
- Apps could take longer than expected to launch.
New in beta 12?
Refresh for updates! We will be updating our iPhones and iPads and digging in as soon as the new version is released. Also share tips at tips@9to5mac or email@example.com and on Twitter @9to5mac and @apollozac.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.