By default, iPhone shows character previews on its keyboard to let users know what letter you’re typing while typing out a message. However, as users get more accustom to software keyboards, this becomes an annoyance. Follow along to learn how to disable character previews on the iPhone keyboard.
How to disable character previews on the iPhone keyboard
- Fire up Settings > General > Keyboards.
- Look for Character Preview.
- Switch the toggle to the Off position.
It’s a small change but a lot of users will appreciate it. The iPad has been this way since iOS 7. Personally, the previews make me type much slower as it’s super distracting. It also feels super dated and old. Luckily, there’s an easy toggle for it in the Settings app and it will apply across all apps that use the software keyboard.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- How to move iPhone apps
- How to disable location services on HomePod
- How to clean your Apple Watch
- How to change Wi-Fi networks on HomePod
- How to use Do Not Disturb on iPhone
- How to control HomePod audio on iPhone and iPad
- How to change AirDrop settings on iPhone and iPad
- How to customize Do Not Disturb in iOS 12
- How to use flashlight with iPhone