We showed you an early behind-the-scenes look at Skype’s major update to its iPhone app including an interview earlier this week, and today Microsoft says that update will officially roll out to users. In fact, a few people are able to download/update it now, while others are still getting the “not available” as of this writing.

From Skype’s blog:

On June 9, we announced that an update to Skype for iPhone was on the way, and today it’s time to try it out for yourself: Skype 5.0 for iPhone has arrived! We were excited to use your feedback to remaster the app around you, to help you connect with your friends and family simply and quickly.

Earlier this week, Skype pulled its previous version from the App Store in anticipation of its major new release. Microsoft says Skype 5.0 for iPhone is rolling out today and the new version is already available for many users via the App Store now.

Update: Skype has offered the following statement below.

Today we announced Skype 5.0 for iPhone is available for download. We understand some users are having problems downloading the app while it populates in the Apple App Store. We’re sorry about the delay, but don’t worry – you’ll be able to try the new version very soon. In the meantime, you can learn about the great new features coming with Skype 5.0 for iPhone here.

32 Responses to “Skype 5.0 for iPhone available now… for some lucky App Store users”

1. fr33z33 says:

“The item you tried to buy is no longer available”
    Nanananananaaa :P

2. Not available in US app store, but is live on Russian one. Hell, Microsoft surely shows Respect for mother Russia :)

• iSRS says:

Wise move if you need Skype right now. Tried that approach, but now the update I had available is gone and you can’t find it in a search on the store

3. Bah. Clicked “UPDATE” on Skype’s product page in the App Store and I’m getting “The item you tried to buy is no longer available.”

4. iSRS says:

Ditto. Shows in my list of updates on my iPhone, but won’t let me update, says not available.

5. I was able to get it by deleting the old version from my phone and re-downloading it…

Consider that a pro-tip :-)

6. I live in Japan and I was able to download this update 24 hours ago.

7. ryscript says:

“The item you tried to buy t buy is no longer available”, hmmmm

8. The item you tried to buy is no longer available. Yes but of course for real.

9. I ‘for real’ can’t download it! “This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later”

10. Reblogged this on Taste of Apple and commented:
    Looks like a good update.

11. Not working…take this link down

12. Myke Rendón says:

I’m still getting a “The item you tried to buy is no longer available” error message

13. I live in Canada and I got this june 10.
    I was wondering all the news about this since I tested the application 2 days ago!

14. Xain Ali says:

5 features to know about new Skype iPhone app
    Follow the link for more details:

15. For those who have it and are unable to download it, I did the following:

Open the app store and search for Skype. You should find it and it should have the update button. Go back to your homescreen.

Delete your existing Skype app.

Now switch back into the app store and you should be able to download.

16. Wont support HD on iPhone

17. I’ve had Skype 5.0 installed since the first time it was put up.
    iOS 8 just auto-updated it.. Never even purposely updated for it..
    Looks like it’s available on the Canadian store and has been since the 10th..

18. Deleting app and re-installing app doesn’t work. It brings the old version of Skype, not the new one.

19. I got the no longer available for the upgrade future but downloaded Skype Wifi

20. I updated it normally and it updated just fine. It could depend on the phone and software your using, I am using an iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.1

21. Hadel says:

Reblogged this on Hadel and commented:
    Actually, salts, bad sugars. bad fats, bad carbs and good veggies, fruits … sugars like Honey, Use common sense. Avoid, boxes, cans and bags that are full of junk & processed. Stick to the roots ;-)