With Apple’s Photos app on macOS there is a handy recently deleted folder that holds on to any deleted photos for 30 days. Here’s how to recover deleted photos with the Photos app.
How to recover deleted photos on Mac
- Open Photos
- On the left hand sidebar, click Recently Deleted
- Select the photos you’d like to recover
- Click Recover in the top right corner
Here’s how this process looks:
Next, click the photos you’d like to recover. You may have to scroll around a bit to find what you’re looking for depending on how many photos and videos are in the Recently Deleted folder.
As shown above, you’ll see the count of items selected in the top center, click Recover when you’re ready to move the deleted photos back to your library.
Keep in mind that the photos will return to the date they were originally taken. Also, even though Apple says users have 30 days to recover photos once they’ve been deleted, it may take up to 40 days for them to automatically be permanently deleted.
The process to recover deleted photos on iPhone is a bit different, check out our tutorial here for that.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- How to take a screenshot on iPhone X, XS, or XR
- How to upload photos into iCloud Photos from iPhone, iPad, Mac, and icloud․com
- How to use the built-in level feature on iPhone
- How to add App Store and iTunes gift cards on iPhone and iPad
- How to permanently delete an Apple ID account
- How to remove a user from a group iMessage chat on iPhone
- How to change your Apple ID email address
- How to set Gmail to delete instead of archive in Mail on iPhone and iPad