Screenshot 2014-06-02 14.33.38

Apple has just announced at WWDC 2014 that as part of its iOS 8 extensions capability, users will be able to install systemwide keyboards, such as the popular Swype system. The keyboards will run in a secure sandbox and not have access to anything except text input, though they can ask for permission to use the network in order to provide more features.

These keyboards can be installed through third-party apps on the updated App Store.

14 Responses to “iOS 8 will allow users to install systemwide third-party keyboards”

1. What app is that specifically, does anyone know?

• Tallest Skil says:

Swype. Never understood how it could be better than actually typing or talking.

• Michael Mele says:

Well now you will…

• frankman91 says:

Swiping, combined with really good ‘next word’ predictive text lets you enter text unbelievably quick. I use swiftkey and it 80% of the time it already knows the next word I am going to type, so if I even make a squiggle in the general shape of that word it nails it every time, so you can write full sentences with 7 quick squiggles rather than punching 100+ keys.

After you have it for a week and it learns your typing patterns It is scary good.

For me, this is the biggest inroad for me getting an iPhone for my next phone. I would have NEVER given up my keyboard. This is exciting news.

• Tallest Skil says:

I suppose I’ll have to try it out now. But the traditional keyboard is so good that, coupled with the new, ludicrously intelligent predictive typing (that Android doesn’t have), I don’t imagine I’ll ever need Swype.

• frankman91 says:

Check out their marketing video, good stuff.

2. drtyrell969 says:

Swype typing is the #1 reason to move to Android.

3. Ian Wood says:

Never mind swyping just give me back my old numerical t9 style keyboard. When you have fingers like sausages it’s a pain using these small lettered keyboards :)

4. ufreqs says:

Can anyone tell what device they used in these photos?

5. jerryfromcan says:

I’d just like to have a slightly smaller keyboard on ipad with the f-ing numbers on top. I’d also like to be rid of the Ios7 shift key thing. I have a serious brain fart and am confused as to when shift is on vs off. The colours are exactly backwards for me.

6. jerryfromcan says:

I also have to mention that BB10 has an amazeballs predictive text keyboard much like what has been demoed for IOS8