According to a report from The Verge, Google is building its own third-party keyboard for iOS and has been doing so for “months.” While it’s unclear when or if the keyboard will be released, the report notes of several features Google has been working to implement as employees test it.
swype Stories March 22, 2016
swype Stories January 25, 2016
Microsoft’s upcoming iPhone keyboard has a special one-handed typing mode
The Verge has obtained a sneak peak image into what Microsoft’s Word Flow keyboard for iOS may look like once it is officially released. The keyboard will include a one-handed mode that places the keys out in a fan-style layout. The user can still access emoji and word suggestions and even use swipe gestures to type. This differs from the Word Flow keyboard on Windows 10 Mobile where the keys simply shift to one side. The Verge explains that other than that one-handed mode, the rest of Word Flow for iOS is similar to the Windows Phone version.
swype Stories January 17, 2016
Microsoft developing iPhone version of its Swype-like Word Flow keyboard for Windows Phone
Microsoft appears to be planning to port its Windows Phone keyboard called Word Flow to the iPhone as a third-party keyboard, according to WinBeta. The company is currently reaching out to enlisted software testers to recruit iOS users with iPhone 5s or later to test the Windows Phone keyboard.
Word Flow works similarly to gesture-based third-party keyboards like Swype, which let you trace your finger across letters to suggest words for quick typing. The keyboard also supports traditional typing in the same interface. Emoji characters are even recommended when typing words so ‘dog’ might show the dog emoji when typing the word out.
This is how typing with Word Flow looks on Windows Phone minus gesture typing :
Microsoft is currently recruiting beta testers already in its Windows Insider Program with the following message:
Word Flow keyboard has long been one of the highly praised features on Windows Phone and was used to break the Guinness World Record for fastest texting. We are now working on extending this keyboard to other platforms, starting with iOS.
Before publicly releasing this keyboard to the App Store, we’d love to give Insiders like you a preview. With your feedback, we’ll build a roadmap of improvements to the keyboard over time.
Most third-party keyboards since Apple added the capability with iOS 8 haven’t been real home runs due to speed and performance issues, so we’ll have to see how Microsoft works around this. The company is certainly no stranger to developing for iOS with nearly 60 iPhone apps on the App Store to date.
swype Stories November 6, 2014
9to5Toys Last Call: Swype goes free, SanDisk wireless iOS flash drive $35, Motorola cable modem $75, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Download Swype iOS 8 third-party keyboard for free (Reg. $1)
SanDisk Connect Wireless iOS/Android 16GB Flash Drive: $35 shipped (orig. $50)
Motorola SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem $75 shipped (orig. $100)
Prime Members get $10 Free Amazon credit when you buy $45+ in Amazon Gift cards
Small States – Tucker and Bloom: father & son create functionally beautiful bags, giveaway worth $175
Other new deals:
- New! How Scribd’s new audiobook service stacks up against Audible & Kindle Unlimited
- New! Optoma 3D 1080p home projector + free $50 Amazon GC $599 ($650 value)
- New! 4-pack eneloop XX 2500mAh Rechargeable AA Batteries w/ Charger: $21 (orig. $35)
- New! Meijer Black Friday: $100 credit w/ iPads, Xbox One bundle w/ $50 credit $330, more
- New! Sports Authority Black Friday: Garmin Vivofit $80, up to 70% off North Face, more
- New! Home: Chicago Cutlery stainless knife block set $100, extra $10 off Kershaw, more
- New! Free Google Play music from Nirvana, Drake, Lorde, Katy Perry, Rihanna, more
- New! Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 $156 shipped (Reg. $200)
- New! Jaybird enters into wearables with the Reign activity tracker
- New! Games/Apps: Sunset Overdrive $50, Cut the Rope 2 & Experiments $1 ea., more
- New! Daily Deals: Archos Titanium HD Android Tablet: $95, more
Some solid deals from Specials.9to5toys.com:
More deals still alive:
- The Dark Knight Trilogy in HD w/ iTunes Extras: $15 (Reg. $37)
- 13″ MacBook Pro w/ Retina display 2.6GHz/8GB/128GB $1,149 (Reg. $1,299)
- Audio-Technica ATH-PRO500 Headphones $75 shipped (orig. $180)
- 1080p ViewSonic Monitors (refurb): 22-inch $95, 27-inch w/ HDMI $185, more
- BJ’s one-year Inner Circle membership + $25 gift card $35 shipped (Reg. $75)
- Target offers 20% off all Verizon phones: iPhone 6 starts at $160
- iPad Blowout sale at Staples, up to $105 off: Airs starting at $339
- Free digital copy of Disney’s Wreck-It Ralph movie
- Woot coupon: $5 off orders of $25 or more (up to 20% savings)
- Mpow 4.2Amps 20W Dual USB Port Car Charger $7 (Reg. $16), 6 Amp $9
- Amazon Veterans Day coupon: 20% off clothing, shoes, jewelry, watches, luggage, more
- Verizon FIOS Triple Play + 2yrs. of premium channels + $400 Visa Gift Card: $79.99/mo
- Sam’s Club 1-yr membership + $20 gift card & free food vouchers $45 ($142+ value)
- Sears Black Friday leak: Samsung 55″ Smart HDTV $600, Dewalt drill kit $100, more
- Dell Black Friday ad leak: discounts on monitors, Xbox One/PS4, HDTVS, more
- Xbox One holiday price drop now live with prices starting at $349 (or lower)
- Sam’s Club’s Black Friday deal has iPhone 6 for $99 on-contract starting Nov. 15
- Walmart’s Holiday Savings officially kick off tomorrow with more than 20,000 Rollbacks
- Amazon’s countdown to Black Friday kicks off w/ thousands of Lightning Deals
- Target announces free shipping for all items through the holiday shopping season
New products/ongoing promos:
- Netgear’s Arlo home security camera is waterproof and completely cord free
- Drift’s Stealth 2 is the $249 action camera that films longer than any GoPro
- Epson’s WorkForce WF-100 is the world’s smallest/lightest mobile printer
- ViewSonic projectors are Chromecast ready and fit in the “palm of your hand”
- ChargerLeash Lightning cable makes sure you never forget your iPhone charger again
- Amazon offers free unlimited Cloud Photo storage
- Internet Archive brings 900 classic arcade titles to your web browser for free
- IDrive’s new unlimited plan may be the best mobile backup solution for iOS/Android users
- Mount your iPhone 6 inside your car with Logitech’s new Protection+ case
- Trilogy Dock positions your iPhone 6 vertically or horizontally and boosts its sound
- The thinnest iPhone 6/Plus cases we’ve found so far
- Canon’s new EOS 7D Mark II DSLR w/ rapid autofocus starts shipping today
- Kodak’s PIXPRO 360 degree action camera is now available for $349
swype Stories November 4, 2014
Swype iOS 8 keyboard now available in 20+ languages, adds new layouts & auto Emoji suggestions
Nuance announced an update for its Swype keyboard for iOS 8 today that introduces support for a long list of new languages in addition to new layouts and features for both iPhone and iPad.
New languages include: Czech, Danish, Dutch, UK English, Finnish, Greek, Hinglish, Hungarian, Irish, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Swedish, and Turkish. The app now supports over 20 languages including the previously supported languages– English, French, Italian, German and Spanish.
The keyboard also now includes QWERTY, QWERTZ and AZERTY layouts for both iPhone and iPad as well as access to all Swype themes on iPad. In addition, the update brings an auto-space feature, a “sound on Keypress” option, and auto suggestions for Emoji:
- Intuitive Emoji Input: Stoked about the upcoming game this weekend? When you message your friends about your excitement, Swype will now automatically suggest the right emoji. Swype will predict emojis based on the words you enter – so if you’re feeling happy, confused, tenacious or satisfied, Swype’s got just the right emoji for you.
The updated Swype keyboard for iOS 8 is available from the App Store for $1.
swype Stories October 14, 2014
If you love your new iPhone 6/Plus but find yourself missing the convenience of one-handed typing, One Handed Keyboard may be the third-party keyboard for you. It’s a system-wide keyboard exactly the same size as the one on the older and smaller iPhones so everything will feel familiar. The “sliding over” keyboard method is what Samsung and LG have been using on their Phablets for years.
The keyboard can be switched between left- and right-handed use, and when you want to return to two-handed typing, just hold down the spacebar to expand it to full width … expand full story