upload2

iCloud Drive was first announced at WWDC. This feature is Apple’s new approach to iCloud file syncing, replacing Documents and Data. The new interface acts more like Dropbox, with one central folder containing all iCloud documents in one place. This gives more flexibility over the model used by iOS 7 and Mavericks, where iCloud documents are siloed within their own app’s containers.

At WWDC, Apple announced that iCloud Drive could be accessed from Mac, iOS devices or even PC’s (as shown by the iCloud Drive preview page). However, a new setup screen present in iOS 8 beta 3, released earlier today, shows that Apple is also planning to expose iCloud Drive on the web. Although people were surprised by native PC support, bringing iCloud Drive to the web enables even more flexibility, bridging any OS with a modern web browser.

It seems that Apple will soon add functionality to iCloud.com that enables viewing of iCloud Drive’s contents. Currently, documents for Apple’s iWorks apps are the only iCloud files visible on iCloud.com. It is likely that iCloud Drive will work in a similar way, although inline editing will not be supported as is possible with Pages, Keynote and Numbers documents.

28 Responses to “iOS 8 beta 3 indicates iCloud Drive will also be accessible from iCloud.com”

1. rogifan says:

Maybe I’m being really dense, but how would iCloud Drive be available on Windows if not on the web?

2. PMZanetti says:

Finally a full and complete Dropbox replacement, built right in. Cannot wait to ditch Dropbox.

• crichton007 says:

I think that would be a nice possibility but I’ll believe it when they prove it. When John Gruber doesn’t even use iCloud for his app I have doubts about how good things are/will be.

• freediverx says:

I believe you’re confusing document storage with 3rd party data syncing.

• crichton007 says:

Not necessarily, Dropbox does both and now iCloud is hoping to as well. I use Dropbox for both but I have heard a lot of complaints from developers about some of the mechanisms that iCloud uses for syncing as not being very fast and/or reliable. Until Apple offers all of the same aspects of Dropbox at generally equivalent levels of reliability then I don’t think that they can be considered a true replacement.

• Nizam Islam says:

Here’s my issue with iCloud Storage, there has been no mention of an iCloud Storage App for iPhone, therefore the data would only be accessible within apps. Due to this single issue, it is not a complete dropbox replacement.

3. Reblogged this on Taste of Apple and commented:
    Makes sense. Can’t wait till iCloud Drive goes live. I’ve been a Dropbox user for a while, but I’m hoping this will be a much better and more seamless experience.

• freediverx says:

Question re: Dropbox… Users have the option to selectively sync specific folders to any computer. If you have limited storage (say, on a Macbook Air) it follows that you will want to disable folder sync on that machine. Once you’ve done this, is there no way to at least browse the files available on Dropbox via the Finder?

I’m hoping that iCloud Drive works similarly to iTunes Match, in that every device has full visibility of all available files at all times, even if they’re not stored on the device.

4. iCloud web for Developers already allows to access drive files.

• mikhailt says:

But that’s not what the article is trying to point out, it’s trying to say that it would be open to the public for the first time.

5. voldzi says:

Great news! Finally all files in one place…

6. rahhbriley says:

Silly me, I just assumed this would be a feature.

7. Is this going to allow us to back up our camera roll so we can free up space on our phone?

8. There goes Apple’s quest to hide the file system from end users. Good riddance.

9. So it’s going to be accessible through Windows, but not OSX Lion. Wonderful.