We may get to see the two-hour video of Steve Jobs giving pre-trial evidence in the iPod antitrust case, if the judge approves a motion jointly filed by AP, Bloomberg and CNN to make it public. CNET reported:
“Given the substantial public interest in the rare posthumous appearance of Steve Jobs in this trial, there simply is no interest that justifies restricting the public’s access to his video deposition,” attorney Thomas Burke, who is representing all three media organizations, wrote in the filing Monday
The video currently has the same status of live testimony given in the case, meaning that it can be reported on but the video cannot be broadcast …
Burke argues that as the content of the video is already public, and a full transcript has been posted online, then there is no reason the video should not also be made public. It would, he said, be “far more compelling and accurate than any transcript could ever be.”
Apple has not yet responded to the motion, but had earlier told Burke that the company “does not consent to your request.”
It was at one point uncertain that the trial could proceed, as Apple argued that there were no genuine plaintiffs – a claim subsequently vindicated. The judge has, however, ruled that the case can continue if the class action lawyers can find a new plaintiff. Around eight million iPod owners are believed to qualify.
Courtroom sketch: Vicki Behringer