Uber is beginning to test a new feature that will make it easier for family and other close-knit groups to share an Uber account. That means that your family could use a single credit card for Uber across several devices, making it easy for parents to pay for their kids or other family members, for example.
For now the feature is only in pilot mode for Uber users in Atlanta, Dallas and Phoenix, allowing up to 10 users to share the same account and payment method. But if you’re in one of the cities where the feature is being tested, you can try it by following the steps below to create a new Family Profile in the app:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Uber app.
- Go to Menu and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to “Add a Family Profile” and select the contacts you would like to add.
- As soon as the Family Profile rider accepts the invitation, they can begin requesting rides from their own phone using the Family Profile as their payment method.
- The cost of the trip will automatically be billed to the Family Profile and the organizer will receive a receipt for every ride.
Once you’ve created a Family Profile and invited some people, they just have to accept the email invitation to be added to the account. While the feature was clearly developed with families in mind, Uber notes that it could also come in handy for co-workers or other projects where one card holder is paying for rides of one or more other people. And once you’ve joined a family, you’ll be able to switch between your personal and family account at any time before requesting a car.
Download the latest Uber app to try out the feature in Dallas, Atlanta, or Phoenix, and we’ll keep an eye out for an expansion to other locations in the future.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.