Apple has just released the official build of iOS 10.1 to the general public which includes the new Portrait Mode for the iPhone 7 Plus. After being available to developers and public beta testers for the past few weeks, iOS 10.1 is now available to users on compatible iOS devices. iOS 10.1 also includes a list of other changes for all iOS devices. Jump through to read the full release notes.
Automate weight logging w/ Health and Siri
Developers and public beta testers on iOS 10.1 build 14B72c will be happy to know that they are already running today’s general public release and any further update won’t be necessary.
In regards to iOS 10.1’s fixes, the most notable include fixes for Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party devices, People’s names being saved in iCloud backups, and new option to replay Message effects.
For the impressive new Portrait mode in Camera, we went hands on with the new feature using the beta in our initial walkthrough. Zac also wrote about the new feature here and took some example images here. Check out Jeff Benjamin’s video demonstration below:
- Hands-on with the new Portrait Mode beta on iPhone 7 Plus [Video]
- iPhone 7 Plus: Portrait mode impressions on iOS 10.1 beta [Photos]
- iPhone 7 Plus weekend camera action: Portrait mode outdoors and underwater 4K
- Hands-on: New iOS 10.1 beta 2 features + changes [Video]
How to update to iOS 10.1
To update to iOS 10.1, visit Software Update in Settings. Connect your iPhone or iPad to a power source and tap Install Now. Firstly, the OS must download the OTA file in order to begin setup. After the download has finished, the device will then begin the update process and eventually reboot into iOS 10.1.
If you don’t have the time right now to update, you can let iOS automatically install it at a later date (it will intelligently choose a time when you are likely to be asleep).
iOS 10.1 runs on:
- iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 9.7 inch and iPad Pro 12.9 inch
- iPod touch 6th generation.
iOS 10.1 Release Notes
Camera and Photos
- Introduces Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus that creates a depth effect that keeps your subject sharp while creating a beautifully blurred background (beta)
- People names in the Photos app are saved in iCloud backups
- Improved the display of wide color gamut photos in the grid views of the Photos app
- Fixes an issue where opening the Camera app would show a blurred or flashing screen for some users
- Fixes an issue that caused Photos to quit for some users when turning on iCloud Photo Library
- Transit support for every major train, subway, ferry, and national bus line, as well as local bus systems for Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya
- Sign-based transit navigation including layouts of all underground structures and walkways that connect large transit stations
- Transit fare comparison when viewing alternative transit routes
- New option to replay bubble and full screen effects
- Messages effects can play with Reduce Motion enabled
- Fixes an issue that could lead to contact names appearing incorrectly in Messages
- Addresses an issue where Messages could open to a white screen
- Addresses an issue that could prevent the report junk option from displaying with unknown senders
- Fixes an issue where videos captured and sent in the Messages app could be missing audio
- Adds distance and average pace to workout summaries in the Activity app for outdoor wheelchair run pace and outdoor wheelchair walk pace
- Fixes issues that may have prevented Music playlists from syncing to Apple Watch
- Addresses an issue that was preventing invitations and data to appear in Activity Sharing
- Fixes an issue that was allowing Activity Sharing to update over cellular when manually disabled
- Resolves an issue that was causing some third-party apps to crash when inputting text
Other improvements and fixes
- Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories
- Improves AirPlay Mirroring performance when waking a device from sleep
- Fixes an issue where playback would not work for iTunes purchased content when the “Show iTunes Purchases” setting is turned off
- Fixes an issue where certain selfie apps and face filters used with the FaceTime HD Camera on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus did not display a live preview
- Fixes an issue in Health where individual strokes are converted to separate characters when using the Chinese handwriting keyboard
- Improves performance of sharing websites from Safari to Messages
- Fixes an issue in Safari that caused web previews in tab view to not display correctly
- Fixes an issue that caused certain Mail messages to be reformatted with very small text
- Fixes an issue that caused some HTML email to be formatted incorrectly
- Fixes an issue that in some cases caused the search field to disappear in Mail
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Today View Widgets from updating when launched
- Fixes an issue where Weather widget sometimes failed to load data
- Fixes an issue on iPhone 7 where Home Button click settings would not appear in search results
- Fixes an issue that prevented spam alert extensions from blocking calls
- Resolves an issue that could prevent alarm sounds from going off
- Fixes an issue where audio playback via Bluetooth would cause the Taptic engine to stop providing feedback for some users
- Resolves an issue preventing some users from restoring from iCloud Backup
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
Found anything else not noted in the release notes? Let us know in the comments below.