[Update 11/7: Apple has released the second public beta for iOS 11.2 as well as the second public beta for tvOS 11.2 and macOS 10.13.2.]
Apple has released the second beta version of iOS 11.2 for iPhone and iPad. iOS 11.2 beta 2 for iPhone X was released on Friday afternoon to add compatibility with the new device, and today’s release is available for other iPhones and iPads.
9to5Mac Happy Hour
iPhone X users won’t see today’s update, however, as the first iOS 11.2 beta released on Friday for that device is today’s release for everyone else. Apple has also released the second watchOS 4.2, tvOS 11.2, and macOS 10.13.2 betas.
- iPhone 8 / 8 Plus / X marketing still wallpapers now available on older iPhones (download here)
- Feedback app included during beta
- No sign of Messages in iCloud yet, some level of AirPlay 2 present and Apple Pay Cash mentioned in Siri tips
- Calculator bug caused by slow animation fixed
- Some emoji are tweaked
- Additional Live wallpapers for iPhone X (see here)
Check out our hands-on with iOS 11.2 beta 1 below:
And iOS 11.2 beta 2 for iPhone X:
Here are the latest release notes:
New in iOS 11.2
Introductory Pricing for Auto-Renewable Subscriptions
Soon, you’ll be able to offer new customers a discounted introductory price for your auto- renewable subscriptions on the App Store. iOS 11.2 introduces new classes (SKProductDiscount and SKProductSubscriptionPeriod) and new properties on SKProduct (subscriptionPeriod and introductoryPrice) to provide details on the introductory pricing and billing period you’ve selected for your auto-renewable subscriptions. You can use these new API additions to localize and display information about introductory pricing to your users. You’ll be able to configure introductory pricing on your in-app purchase page in iTunes Connect soon.
Notes and Known Issues
- Continuing from a breakpoint while debugging an ARSession may result in VIO breaking. Any visual objects placed in the world/anchor are not visible. (31561202)
- AVCameraCalibrationData now contains correct information for the intrinsicMatrix property when using the TrueDepth camera on iPhone X. (34200225)
- InitializinganEKCalendarChooserfromEventKitnolongerresultinanappcrash. (34608102)
Workaround: Use startSecureConnection to establish a secure connection.
Photos UI API Extensions
- In iOS 11.2 beta 1 or later, the user interface of a photo editing extension is no longer limited to the safe area. Apple recommends following the Human Interface Guidelines for content insets. (34189209)
- Playing a podcast with chapter markers will no longer crash Podcasts. (35117025)
- For a broadcast extension that a user starts from within an app, the value for the RPVideoSampleOrientationKey of the CMSampleBufferRef of type RPSampleBufferType is always portrait. Starting the broadcast extension from the Control Center returns the correct value. (34559925)
- DisplayingapagecontrolinUIPageViewControlleroniPhoneXnolongeroverlaps the home indicator at the bottom of the screen. (34478195)
- UsingamodelthatoutputsanimagewithVNCoreMLRequestnowworkscorrectly. (34023914)
- VNHomographicImageRegistrationRequest and VNDetectBarcodesRequest now work correctly with images when using a request handler based on a URL. (34919881)
- VNFaceLandmarkRegion2D is currently unavailable in Swift. (33191123)
- Facial landmarks identified by the Vision framework may flicker in temporal use cases such as video. (32406440)
Xcode Known Issues
- Debugging a disabled Messages extension may cause Messages to crash. (33657938)
Workaround: Enable the extension before starting the debug session.
- After a simulated iOS device starts up, it’s not possible to pull down the Lock screen. (33274699)
Workaround: Lock and unlock the simulated device and then reopen Home screen.
Notes and Known Issues
- Under certain conditions, iTunes Store sign-in can fail when pairing. (35011633)
Workaround: Tap ‘Skip This Step’ to continue pairing and sign-in afterwards by launching Watch > General > Apple ID.
- In some cases, app icons may appear as placeholder images. (35146952)
Workaround: Uninstall and reinstall the app.