By default, your iPhone will shorten last names for contacts that you choose to provide a last name for. This wasn’t always the case, though, and it’s possible to revert it back to the original form with the full name displayed.
Follow along to learn how….
iPhone: How to disable short names
- Open up Settings > Contacts > Short Name.
- Here, you can choose to turn off Short Name, which will let you show full names in apps such as Messages. You can also turn on Prefer Nicknames, which will always use nicknames, provided you’ve added it in your contact.
This is super useful, especially if you have multiple contacts with last names that start with the same letter.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- iPhone & iPad: How to customize swipe gestures in mail
- iOS 12: How to use third-party Password AutoFill apps
- iPhone & iPad: How to change screen lock time
- iPhone: How to setup a SIM pin
- iPhone & iPad: How to set up the TV app on iOS
- iOS 12: How to customize the metric units in the Measure app
- How to use streaming for Twitter on Mac
- iPhone: How to enable True North in Compass