iCloud Keychain is pretty great when you only use Apple devices, and need very basic password management tools. However, if you’re a user of 1Password or LastPass, it’s been workaround after workaround for quite some time with no real system-level support, which is arguably required for such an app to function.
Luckily, iOS 12 fixes this in a major way by giving third-party password managers the iCloud Keychain blessing, meaning these apps will be treated as if it is the native iCloud Keychain counterpart.
Follow along to learn how to make use of the new feature….
iOS 12: How to use third-party Password AutoFill apps
Note: Your password manager will need to be updated for iOS 12. Your device will also need to be running iOS 12 or higher. Apple does not accept apps that use the iOS 12 SDK until iOS 12 is officially available.
- Make sure your password manager has been updated for iOS 12 and AutoFill Passwords.
- Fire up Settings > Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords.
- Make sure AutoFill Passwords is enabled. A list of third-party AutoFill Passwords apps should now appear alongside iCloud Keychain.
- Tap the app to turn on Password AutoFill for that app. Note: You can use multiple Password AutoFill apps at any given time, including iCloud Keychain.
And that’s all there pretty much is to it. The next time you try to autofill a password in an app or in Safari, you’ll now be able to fetch data from third-party apps.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- iPhone & iPad: How to change screen lock time
- iPhone: How to setup a SIM pin
- iPhone & iPad: How to set up the TV app on iOS
- iOS 12: How to customize the metric units in the Measure app
- How to use streaming for Twitter on Mac
- iPhone: How to enable True North in Compass
- Mac: How to restore ‘Save As…’ functionality
- Mac: How to customize your Safari toolbar
- iPhone: How to enable or disable read receipts for iMessage
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.