With third-party Twitter clients like Tweetbot and Twitterrific being forced to abandon key features this week, many will be looking for ways to restore some of the lost functionality. Here’s how to use streaming for Twitter on Mac.
Whoosh! Screen Cleaner
Once you’ve gotten used to a streaming Twitter feed, it’s difficult to go back to refreshing manually. A workaround that Twitterrific is implementing is a two-minute, auto refresh. But unfortunately, the only option at this point to enable streaming on Mac is Twitter’s TweetDeck (app or the web).
How to use streaming for Twitter on Mac
- Download Tweetdeck for Mac or log in to the web version
- On the Mac app, click TweetDeck → Preferences… → make sure Stream Tweets in realtime is toggled on
- On the web, click the settings gear (bottom left corner) → Settings → make sure Stream Tweets in realtime is toggled on
Here’s how the process looks with the TweetDeck for Mac app:
Next make sure the toggle is turned on next to Stream Tweets in realtime.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- iPhone: How to enable True North in Compass
- Mac: How to restore ‘Save As…’ functionality
- Mac: How to customize your Safari toolbar
- iPhone: How to enable or disable read receipts for iMessage
- iPhone & iPad: How to customize calendar settings
- How to use Light Mode for messages in Mail with Dark Mode on macOS Mojave
- How to customize Voice Feedback for Siri
- iPhone & iPad: How to customize Siri suggestions
- iPhone & iPad: How to customize keyboard shortcuts