Following yesterday’s developer betas, Apple has seeded iOS 11.4 and tvOS 11.4 public betas. iOS 11.4 includes both AirPlay 2 and Messages on iCloud for testing, and tvOS 11.4 can be used for AirPlay 2 testing.
iOS 11.4 beta also suggests we’ll see HomePod gain stereo support when the software update is ready, but the feature requires an unreleased version of the HomePod software to test. AirPlay 2 testing requires Apple TV 4 or Apple TV 4K with tvOS 11.4 developer or public beta.
While Apple’s developer program requires a paid membership, Apple’s public beta program is free for participants (although using beta software comes with stability risks). Apple offers public beta versions of iOS, tvOS, and macOS (but not watchOS).
For the latest official releases, catch up on last week’s software updates below:
- iOS 11.3 with new Animoji, iPhone throttling controls, much more coming today (U: Now available)
- Apple releasing first HomePod software update alongside iOS 11.3 today (U: Now available)
- watchOS 4.3 for Apple Watch coming today with iPhone Music control, smarter Siri watch face, more (U: Now available)
- tvOS 11.3 for Apple TV 4 and Apple TV 4K now available, adds frame rate matching to fourth-gen
- Apple releases macOS 10.13.4 update for High Sierra with iMac Pro wallpaper, enhanced eGPU support
And for more on iOS 11.4 beta, check out these stories:
- First iOS 11.4 developer beta for iPhone and iPad coming today (U: Now available)
- What’s new in iOS 11.4 beta 1? Hands-on with new features and changes [Video]
- Apple releases first tvOS 11.4 beta for developers
- Stereo HomePod reference makes its way back into iOS 11.4 beta [U]
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.