Two weeks after the second beta, iOS 12 beta 3 has arrived. We’re hoping to see some useful bug fixes and stability improvements as well as the first roll out of Apple’s in-house mapping data for the Bay Area in Maps.
New in iOS 12
iOS 12 includes several significant changes for iPhone and iPad including performance improvements, especially on older devices; ARKit 2.0 with shared experiences; refined search and sharing in Photos; more Siri access in third-party apps and Siri Shortcuts based on Workflow; updates to Stocks, Voice Memos, Apple Books, and Apple News; use management features including updates to Do Not Disturb, more manageable notifications, and Screen Time parental controls; Memoji in Messages; FaceTime between up to 32 users; and much more.
We also saw several changes in beta 2 including:
- Podcasts app now shows Now Playing indicator on currently playing chapters (chapter support is new to iOS 12)
- New splash screen for updated Voice Memos app
- New splash screen for Screen Time in Settings, includes Down Time walkthrough for parents
- New arrow launcher for Shortcuts in Spotlight
- iPhone-only apps on iPad now use iPhone 6 version, not iPhone 4 version (…Instagram…)
- Softer location icon in status bar
- Time Travel references removed from Watch app –> Clock
New in beta 3?
- Clear All Notifications now has a springy animation
- Can now swipe to clear alerts in one swipe (like iOS 11)
- Apple Watch Face Gallery now only highlights new Siri watch face updates (previously showed watchOS 4 faces)
- Voice Memos for iPad redesigned
- FaceTime effect picker tweaked
- CarPlay appears to be fixed when using side and backup cameras
- Watch app now shows third party apps that work with Siri watch face
- 11 Activity app stickers that animate and do not require Special Challenge to unlock