Two weeks after the second beta, iOS 12 beta 3 has arrived. We’re hoping to see some useful bug fixes and stability improvements as well as the first roll out of Apple’s in-house mapping data for the Bay Area in Maps.
9to5Mac Happy Hour
New in iOS 12
iOS 12 includes several significant changes for iPhone and iPad including performance improvements, especially on older devices; ARKit 2.0 with shared experiences; refined search and sharing in Photos; more Siri access in third-party apps and Siri Shortcuts based on Workflow; updates to Stocks, Voice Memos, Apple Books, and Apple News; use management features including updates to Do Not Disturb, more manageable notifications, and Screen Time parental controls; Memoji in Messages; FaceTime between up to 32 users; and much more.
We also saw several changes in beta 2 including:
- Podcasts app now shows Now Playing indicator on currently playing chapters (chapter support is new to iOS 12)
- New splash screen for updated Voice Memos app
- New splash screen for Screen Time in Settings, includes Down Time walkthrough for parents
- New arrow launcher for Shortcuts in Spotlight
- iPhone-only apps on iPad now use iPhone 6 version, not iPhone 4 version (…Instagram…)
- Softer location icon in status bar
- Time Travel references removed from Watch app –> Clock
New in beta 3?
- Clear All Notifications now has a springy animation
- Can now swipe to clear alerts in one swipe (like iOS 11)
- Apple Watch Face Gallery now only highlights new Siri watch face updates (previously showed watchOS 4 faces)
- Voice Memos for iPad redesigned
- FaceTime effect picker tweaked
- CarPlay appears to be fixed when using side and backup cameras
- Watch app now shows third party apps that work with Siri watch face
- 11 Activity app stickers that animate and do not require Special Challenge to unlock