In the four years since CarPlay debuted, Apple Maps has been the only option for navigation. Today, the long-awaited support for Google Maps has officially arrived. Follow along for how to replace Apple Maps with Google Maps on CarPlay.
While Apple Maps has made some solid improvements over the years and has a big overhaul in the works, Google Maps still has a sizable lead as the most popular navigation app. Even for those who usually prefer to stick with Apple’s native apps, having Google Maps as a CarPlay option is a very welcome addition.
How to replace Apple Maps with Google Maps on CarPlay
- Make sure you’re running iOS 12 on your iPhone and Google Maps version 5.0 or higher
- Open Settings
- Tap General then CarPlay
- Choose your vehicle
- Swipe to the second page of apps, tap and hold on Google Maps, and move it to the Home screen
Here’s how the process looks:
After choosing your vehicle you can move Apple Maps to the second page of apps if you’d like. Then swipe over to see Google Maps as an option, tap, hold and slide it to the Home screen as shown below.
CarPlay will offer Waze as another navigation option, but it is still limited to a limited TestFlight private beta for now.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following iOS 12 tutorials:
- iOS 12: How to use the ARKit Measure app on iPhone
- iOS 12: How to customize Grouped Notifications
- iOS 12: How to use Screen Time on iPhone and iPad
- iOS 12: How to set up Screen Time as a parent on a child’s iPhone or iPad
- iOS 12: How to create Memoji on iPhone X
- iOS 12: How to markup, add effects, and edit photos and videos in Messages on iPhone
- iOS 12: How to toggle USB Accessories
- iOS 12: How to use enhanced battery statistics
- iOS 12: How to access Photos in the Messages app
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.