Have you already purchased a Mac but now decided that you’d like to protect it with AppleCare? Keep reading for how to add the coverage to your Mac within 60 days of purchase, even if you didn’t buy it from Apple.
AppleCare coverage is offered when purchasing a Mac from Apple on its website and in stores, but you can also add it after the fact. Even if you didn’t purchase your Mac from Apple, you can extend your warranty to three years and add physical damage protection within 60 days of your original purchase.
Your Mac will need to be in normal working condition and not damaged to add AppleCare. We’ll cover three ways to add AppleCare below.
If you opt to add AppleCare online or by phone, be sure to have your serial number handy ( → About This Mac). AppleCare for Mac desktops starts at $99, while coverage for Mac notebooks starts at $249. Read more about AppleCare for Mac here.
How to add AppleCare to your Mac after purchase
- Head to Apple’s add AppleCare website
- Choose Mac desktops or Mac notebooks, then enter your serial number or sign in with your Apple ID
- Follow the prompts to purchase AppleCare within 60 days of buying your Mac (you’ll need to complete a remote diagnostic)
- Have proof of purchase available for your Mac
- Call Apple Support at 800.275.2273 (800.APL.CARE)
- Ask to add AppleCare to your Mac (you’ll need to complete a remote diagnostic)
- Head to an Apple Store with your Mac
- You’ll need to complete a visual inspection and have proof of purchase
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- How to add AppleCare to your iPad after purchase
- How to add AppleCare to your iPhone after purchase
- How to use Dark Mode on your Mac
- How to use grayscale on your Mac
- How to invert the display colors on your Mac
- How to tell which apps are draining your iPhone battery
- How to print contact info to envelopes, lists, and labels on Mac
- How to check if your MacBook Pro is eligible for a free display backlight repair
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.