American retail chain Target is said to be developing its own mobile payment service that would compete with Apple Pay, according to the latest Reuters report this morning. Target’s mobile wallet service is described as being in the early stages of development with a possible launch possibly planned for sometime next year. Like other retailer-specific mobile wallets, Target’s mobile wallet would let customers pay for goods through a smartphone app.
Commerce Stories December 18, 2015
Commerce Stories August 27, 2015
Square debuts new schedule booking Appointments app for iPhone
The San Francisco-based company Square has always focused on using technology to make commerce tools accessible to businesses of all sizes, and their latest app adds another resource to their growing lineup of mobile payment solutions.
Square Appointments for iOS is an iPhone-only app that lets clients book appointments and businesses manage schedules. Perks include appointment reminders for clients through push notifications and appointment history for businesses. Square highlights these specific features in their new app:
- Manage appointments on the go: Set up and edit your appointments anywhere your business takes you.
- Carry all your clients with you: Access and edit your client profiles.
- Accept appointments instantly: Accept or decline appointments directly through your iPhone notifications screen.
- Complete payments anywhere: Check clients out directly on your iPhone seamlessly through the Square app.
Businesses can use the new Appointments app even if they don’t process payments payments with Square.
Square Appointments is available for free on the App Store and joins Square Register, Cash, and Analytics.
Commerce Stories July 27, 2015
eBay discontinuing several mobile apps including Fashion and Motors for iOS
Commerce company eBay announced today that it will soon retire several of its mobile apps including ones on iPhone and iPad. eBay’s primary iOS app will not be going anyway, however, and several of the discontinued apps will eventually see their features appear in the main eBay app.
In an effort to simply the shopping experience, eBay says it will be shutting down its Valet, Fashion, and Motors apps soon and later integrate their features into eBay’s primary app.
Commerce Stories May 27, 2015
Commerce Stories February 18, 2015
Samsung acquires Apple Pay competitor LoopPay to accelerate its mobile commerce effort
Samsung announced in a press release this evening that it has purchased LoopPay, an Apple Pay-like mobile payment company. LoopPay turns existing magnetic stripe card readers into secure, contactless receivers. This means that, in an ideal world, LoopPay would be available in nearly every retailer that accepts magnetic strip cards. A specific acquisition price is unclear at this point.
Commerce Stories August 26, 2014
Square Cash now lets you send money over text messages, add notes to payments, more
Square launched its app Cash last fall making the process of sending money from your bank to other people over email, and today the company is introducing the next major version of its app. Square Cash 2.0 introduces a list of new features including the ability to now send a transaction over text messaging in addition to email and attach notes to payments for adding context to a transaction. Below you can see the full list of changes in the new version.
What’s New in Version 2.0
Everything is better in Cash 2.0!
• Send cash to any mobile phone number via text message. • Faster, optimized sending interface. • Import your address book for quick contact selection. • Add a note to your payments. • Pick a profile picture. • Choose push notifications, text messages, or email notifications. • Manage all of your email addresses and phone numbers in one place. • Quickly approve incoming requests from a push notification or text message. • Invite friends via text message and get $1 when they join.
Square Cash 2.0 is available for free on the App Store.