Whether you recently got a new Mac, or have had one for a while, read along for how to create a new user account on your Mac.
Whether you’re sharing your Mac with your family, partner, or need to create an additional user account for yourself, it’s quick and easy to do.
How to create a new user account on your Mac
- Open System Preferences and click Users & Groups
- Click the lock in the bottom left if it’s not already unlocked
- Click the + icon in the bottom left corner
- Select the type of account (standard, admin, managed, etc.)
- Enter the account details, click Create User
Here’s how the process looks:
Check to make sure your account is unlocked before trying to add another user.
Click the dropdown next to New Account to change it from standard to admin, or managed.
Enter the remaining required information and click Create User.
To remove a user account, click the minus icon in the bottom left corner. We’ve also got a detailed tutorial on that here.
For more help getting the most out of your Apple devices, check out our how to guide as well as the following articles:
- How to check your iPhone’s software compatibility
- How to play podcasts on HomePod with Siri
- How to check your Mac’s software compatibility
- How to manage your Apple Music up next queue
- How to use Google’s Chrome browser on iPhone
- How to disable picture in picture on iPad
- Apple Music library missing? Check your iCloud Music settings
- How to set a default Finder folder on Mac
- How to transfer files between iPhone and Mac with a USB flash drive
- How to change your iTunes and App Store Apple ID on iPhone
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.