Apple’s Smart Battery Case is a popular way to give iPhone extra battery life along with some unique touches that third-party cases can’t offer. If you’ve been having issues with yours, you may be eligible for a free replacement for iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max Smart Battery Cases.
- Battery case will not charge or charges intermittently when plugged into power
- Battery case does not charge the iPhone or charges it intermittently
Apple highlights there is no safety risk with the problematic Smart Battery Cases that were manufactured last year. The replacement program covers the Smart Battery Cases for two years after their initial sale.
Affected units were manufactured between January 2019 and October 2019. This is not a safety issue and Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will replace eligible battery cases, free of charge.
How to get your iPhone Smart Battery Case replaced for free
- Set up an appointment at an Apple Store or try your luck getting a walk-in appointment.
- Get in touch with an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
- Getting a replacement over the phone doesn’t appear to be an option as Apple says, “Your Smart Battery Case will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program.”
Further details on the Smart Battery Replacement Program include:
- Apple may restrict or limit repair to the original country or region of purchase.
- This worldwide Apple program doesn’t extend the standard warranty coverage of the Smart Battery Case.
- The program covers affected Smart Battery Case for two years after the first retail sale of the unit.
- The affected battery cases will be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
iPhone & iPad:
- iPhone: How to remove location data from photos and videos before sharing
- iPhone: 5 tips to declutter and organize apps, emails, messages, photos, more
- How to use the Apple Pencil screenshot shortcut on iPad
- How to find out when your iPhone 11 camera is using Deep Fusion
- How to use the Deep Fusion iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro camera feature
- How to edit messages on iPhone and iPad with two-finger tap
- How to use the ultra wide camera on iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro
- Audio not working for one of your AirPods? Here’s how to fix it
- How to get AirPods Pro ear tip replacements
- How to clean your dirty AirPods Pro and charging case
- AirPods Pro: How to customize Force Sensor controls
- AirPods Pro: How to use Ear Tip Fit Test and change tips
- AirPods Pro: How to use noise cancellation and Transparency mode
- AirPods Pro vs Powerbeats Pro: How specs, size, price, and more compare
- What’s the difference in AirPods and AirPods Pro? Here’s how size, price, and features compare
- macOS Catalina: How to master Dark Mode for Mac
- How to force iMessage to sync with iCloud on Mac
- macOS: How to set up Force Click with a Logitech MX Master mouse
- Selling your MacBook? Here’s how to repair the butterfly keyboard for free and get more money
- How to check iPad and Mac Sidecar requirements
- How to create a bootable macOS Catalina 10.15 USB install drive [Video]
- How to sync iPhone and iPad to your Mac in macOS Catalina without iTunes
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.