Need to share some photos or videos but want to retain a bit more privacy than normal? Follow along for how to remove location data from photos and videos on iPhone before sharing.
iOS includes a handy toggle switch to quickly turn off location details as well as other metadata before you send photos and videos from iPhone and iPad.
Keep in mind that this is a per-share basis, so you’ll need to do the same process each time you want to turn off location data.
iPhone: How to remove location data from photos and videos before sharing
Note: the same steps work on iPad
- Open the Photos app on iPhone or iPad
- Choose the photo(s) or video(s) you’d like to share
- Tap the share button (square with up arrow, bottom left corner on iPhone, top right corner on iPad)
- At the top, tap Options
- Tap the toggle next to Location to turn it off, tap Done (top right corner)
- Choose how you’d like to share and send your photo(s)/video(s)
Tip: There seems to be a bug where the location data switch disappears when you go back to use it again after using it the first time. If you experience it, restart your iPhone or iPad and that should resolve the issue.
Here’s how these steps look:
As shown above, you can also toggle off All Photos Data if you’d prefer.
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
iPhone & iPad:
- iPhone: 5 tips to declutter and organize apps, emails, messages, photos, more
- How to use the Apple Pencil screenshot shortcut on iPad
- How to find out when your iPhone 11 camera is using Deep Fusion
- How to remove Memoji Stickers from your iPhone keyboard
- How to use the Deep Fusion iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro camera feature
- How to edit messages on iPhone and iPad with two-finger tap
- How to use the ‘Remind when messaging’ feature on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- How to use the ultra wide camera on iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro
- Audio not working for one of your AirPods? Here’s how to fix it
- How to get AirPods Pro ear tip replacements
- How to clean your dirty AirPods Pro and charging case
- AirPods Pro: How to customize Force Sensor controls
- AirPods Pro: How to use Ear Tip Fit Test and change tips
- AirPods Pro: How to use noise cancellation and Transparency mode
- AirPods Pro vs Powerbeats Pro: How specs, size, price, and more compare
- What’s the difference in AirPods and AirPods Pro? Here’s how size, price, and features compare
- How to force iMessage to sync with iCloud on Mac
- macOS: How to set up Force Click with a Logitech MX Master mouse
- Selling your MacBook? Here’s how to repair the butterfly keyboard for free and get more money
- How to check iPad and Mac Sidecar requirements
- How to create a bootable macOS Catalina 10.15 USB install drive [Video]
- How to sync iPhone and iPad to your Mac in macOS Catalina without iTunes
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.