6 Plus Stories January 20, 2015
6 Plus Stories December 29, 2014
9to5Toys Last Call: iOttie iPhone 6 car mount $14, Anker iPhone 6/Plus cases $7, Free App of the Week, more
Keep up with the best gear and deals on the web by signing up for the brand new 9to5Toys Newsletter. Also, be sure to check us out on: Twitter, RSS Feed, Facebook, Google+ and Safari push notifications.
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Amazon Gold Box – up to 50% off iPhone 6 cases/mounts, iPad accessories, Bluetooth speakers, more
- iOttie Easy Flex 3 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6: $13.99 (Reg. $25)
- PNY Elite Performance 64GB High Speed SDXC Class 10: $23.99 (Reg. $40)
- Kensington KeyFolio Thin X3 with Powerlift for iPad Air: $50 (Reg. $100)
- SUPCASE Rugged iPhone 6/Plus case w/ built-in Screen Protector: $13.99 (Reg. $23)
- TDK Life on Record A33 Wireless Weatherproof Speaker: $59.99 (orig. $250)
Anker Ultra Protective Case for iPhone 6 or 6 Plus $7 Prime shipped (orig. $40)
iTunes Free App of the Week – Icycle: On Thin Ice ($2.99 value)
Giveaway: Henge Docks Gravitas iPhone 6/Plus dock made from solid zinc alloy ($69 value)
iTunes year-end blowout: discounted HD movies/bundles, music, more
More new deals:
- New! Groupon: Apple TV $72, Roku LT $27, Wii Fit U Board $45, more
- New! Headphones: Jabra Bluetooth $100, Sennheiser Urbanite $170
- New! Canon IMAGEclass printer: $40, Wireless: $50, Color: $100 shipped
- New! HDTVs: Samsung 65-inch Class LED HDTV $975 (orig. $1,200)
- New! GoPro HERO4 Silver Action Cam w/$50 Amazon/Best Buy GC: $400
- New! Daily Deals: iFrogz Wireless NFC speaker: $15, more
- New! Games/Apps: Borderlands Pre-Sequel $30, iOS freebies, more
- New! Nordstrom Sale: up to 50% off Burberry, Lacoste, North Face, more
- New! PSA: last chance to get in on the official Xbox One price drop
- New! Free download: soundtrack to Disney’s animated hit “Frozen”
- New! Gaming For Couples: The Room, The Room Pocket, and The Room 2
- New! Home: iDevices thermometer $56, Philips Sonicare $25, more
More deals still alive:
- Sennheiser MM30 in-ear headphones w/ mic & remote $30 (Reg. up to $60)
- Become an Adorama VIP member for free ($149 value)
- Google Play year-end sale lists dozens of albums $1.99 and up
- Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked, 20% off all video games for 2-years: $30 (70% off)
- Infinity Blade III now available for just $1 (Reg. $7)
- Apple Smart Cover for iPad mini & iPad mini 2nd Gen $17 shipped
- Mac games: Borderlands Pre-Sequel $30 (Reg. $60), more
- Tomb Raider iOS App Bundle: $5 (Reg. up to $11)
- Lexar Black 128GB Jumpdrive USB 3.0 Flash Drive: $35 shipped
New products/ongoing promos/info:
- Kitchen Tech: Bringing Professional, Modern Recipes and Techniques Home
- LG takes on SONOS with its new Music Flow multi-room audio system
- Samsung readies 34-inch 21:9 curved monitor
- Nintendo: Christmas Day arrival for Duck Hunt on Virtual Console
- 9to5 Guide: The best iPad stands, docks, and cases with built-in stand
- Audio-Technica releases its new SonicPro line of in-ear headphones
- Roundup: touchscreen gloves from $2, DIY options for iPhone
- Power Pen is the “world’s first pen with an integrated smartphone battery”
- The ODROID-C1 is a quad-core hobbyist computer priced at just $35
- Kitchen Tech: Sous Vide water baths turn plain meat into succulent steaks
- Review: Toffee’s Fitzroy Satchel is a solid gift for thoughtful commuters
- Gaming For Couples: The Peggle Family + The Beatles Rock Band
- Nano Drone: The “world’s smallest quadcopter” is also one of the most affordable
6 Plus Stories December 16, 2014
Huawei today unveiled its latest smartphone at an event in Beijing and naturally the company named the follow up to its previous generation Honor 6 device, the Honor 6 Plus. Creative.
Apart from the name there aren’t many other similarities between the Android-powered Honor 6 Plus and Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus. That is, however, other than the same size 5.5-inch display and the exact same color options (as pictured above). The previous generation Honor 6 sported a 5-inch display. expand full story
6 Plus Stories October 24, 2014
After last month announcing its $70/month iPhone for Life plan that allows users to “rent” an iPhone and upgrade every two years, today Sprint announced that it will be launching a new 12-month lease option starting Nov. 14. That means that iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users signing up for the iPhone for Life Plan will now be able to upgrade every year, and the old 24-month plan will become available for the iPhone 5S. expand full story
6 Plus Stories October 21, 2014
Vine iPhone update adds iPhone 6/Plus enhancements, iOS 8 share extension, & more
The Vine iPhone app today received an updated to version 3.0.0 and with it comes UI enhancements and full support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users. Also included in today’s update is a new share extension for iOS 8, allowing users to take advantage of the new feature for quickly sharing videos from camera roll or other apps to Vine.
Other improvements include a new “+” button for quickly following channels and having featured posts appear in your home feed. The company said it also “updated the app to look great on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus,” which allows the app to display more content on the larger displays of the new iPhones.
The updated Vine app for iPhone is available on the App Store. A full list of what’s new in version 3.0.0 is below:
What’s New in Version 3.0.0
This release is packed with updates that help you find great Vines to watch, take advantage of iOS 8 extensions, and improve Vine for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. – Follow channels: Tap the new “+” button at the top of any Vine channel to get select featured posts from that channel right in your home feed! – Share extension: With the new iOS 8 share extension, it’s easier than ever to share videos directly from your camera roll or other video apps with Vine. – Easy on the eyes: We’ve also updated the app to look great on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
6 Plus Stories October 14, 2014
Sonos Controller app updated for iOS 8 & iPhone 6/Plus, Sonos Boost support
Sonos today updated its Controller app for iPhone and iPad bringing full support for iOS 8 and optimizations for the new larger iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The app, which offers control of wi-fi connected Sonos audio hardware, also now supports the company’s new Sonos Boost enterprise-grade wi-fi extender accessory:
This update includes support for SONOS BOOST, an accessory that provides enterprise-grade wireless performance for your Sonos system so you get unparalleled reliability – even in homes that are known to have wireless connectivity problems.
Announced earlier this year, the Sonos Boost accessory is available starting today from the Sonos website and other retailers. The Boost will sell for $99 USD, slightly higher than the similar but less powerful $49 Sonos Bridge the company previously offered. “Similar to the BRIDGE ($49 USD), BOOST connects directly to your router to create a dedicated network, allowing all your Sonos speakers and components to talk to each other, with up to 50% greater wireless range.”
Version 5.1.1 of the Sonos Controller app for iOS is available on the App Store now.
What’s New in Version 5.1.1
SUPPORT FOR SONOS BOOST This update includes support for SONOS BOOST, an accessory that provides enterprise-grade wireless performance for your Sonos system so you get unparalleled reliability – even in homes that are known to have wireless connectivity problems.
SUPPORT FOR NEW APPLE DEVICES AND OPERATING SYSTEMS This update includes support for iOS 8, including support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
6 Plus Stories October 10, 2014
Sales of accessories for mobile phones in the US reached record numbers following Apple’s launch of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, according to the latest data published today by NPD. Accessory sales topped $249 million in the two weeks following the launch, which NPD notes is “43 percent higher than the two weeks prior.” The report breaks down numbers by accessory category and highlights that screen protector and case manufacturers experienced the biggest increase: expand full story
6 Plus Stories September 23, 2014
iPhone 6 camera compared to all previous iPhones (Gallery)
The makers of camera app Camera+ have put together a great comparison of the new iPhone 6 camera vs almost all previous generation iPhones including the first iPhone, the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, and 5S.
Skin tones look brighter and more true to life with the iPhone 6 in this portrait series. Although the iPhone 6 photo has a higher level of detail, I’m finding it slightly pixelated and blotchy-looking. Apple altered their local tone-mapping algorithm for better exposure and contrast using the new A8 processor, but it looks like it might be causing some issues with the skin tones in these shots. Additionally, their new noise reduction algorithm seems a bit heavy handed causing pixelation.
The full comparison on the company’s site lets you view full-sized shots for a number of different shooting scenarios including daylight, backlit, macro, lowlight, and portrait shots. Here’s an example from the portrait comparison (click below for full size):
Earlier today we published our own review of the iPhone 6 camera’s improved video shooting capabilities, which now includes the ability to shoot 1080p video at 30/60 frames per second and Slo-Mo video in 720p up to 240 frames per second.
6 Plus Stories September 19, 2014
With iPhone 6 and 6 Plus officially going on sale today through Apple retail and partners, a lot of you on the hunt for a new case. We’ve been keeping track of announcements from the notable case makers and below put together our updated list of the nicest cases we’ve seen yet.
As we always do, we’ve stuck to the case manufacturers we know and trust (like Apple, Griffin, Otterbox, Grovemade, & Cygnett) and also included a wide selection of different products from hard to soft, plastic to aluminum, and wallets to gun-style holster cases. We’ll add more to the list below as we find more iPhone 6 and 6 Plus cases.
Head below for the full list:
6 Plus Stories September 10, 2014
As we always do, we’ve compiled a list of the best iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus cases already available to order. With preorders for the device kicking off this Friday through most carriers and major retailers in launch countries, a number of great case makers have already started selling accessories. We’ve stuck to reputable case makers and cases that you can order today. A few might not ship until the end of the month or early next, but Apple isn’t expected to ship the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus until September 19th. We’ll add more to the list as we find them. expand full story