gazelle Stories December 30, 2020
gazelle Stories September 2, 2015
With the official announcement of Apple’s iPhone 6S just around the corner, Gazelle today announced limited-time promotional trade-in pricing for the iPhone 5s, 6, and 6 Plus, guaranteeing that Gazelle’s cash offer will “beat the trade-in credit offered by a customer’s wireless carrier or Apple.” The promotion applies to U.S. carriers AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint, as well as Apple’s trade-in program. expand full story
gazelle Stories August 20, 2015
Update: In the year since we posted this, we’ve decided to seek out the best partner and do the trade ins ourselves. After doing a lot of research, we’ve decided to work with Myphonesunlimited who consistently offer the best prices for iPhones, iPads and other Apple, Windows and Android devices. Go check them out.
Apple releases new iPhones every fall, guaranteeing that a massive number of old iPhones will be traded in or sold. The rush will dramatically change the market for used iPhones, so I wanted to help you stay ahead of the curve and get the best deal possible. Having just sold my own iPhone 6 Plus to upgrade to a newer model, I have some strong opinions about your smartest options.
Below, I’ve put together a guide to some of the iPhone selling and trade-in options you should consider. There’s no single “right” answer, since some options trade greater convenience for lower prices, and others have higher prices but greater risks or hassles. You can choose the one that’s best for your needs, but whatever you do, make your choice before iPhone values begin to fall…
gazelle Stories October 30, 2014
Gazelle has long been a popular choice for conveniently turning a used iPhone or iPad into cash, and today the electronics trade-in service announced its own certified pre-owned store for buying “gently used devices” at a discounted price. While the pre-owned store lists categories including iPhone, cell phones, iPads, and tablets, Gazelle inventory is currently limited to pre-owned Apple devices including iPhone 4 and up, iPad 2 and up, and iPad mini. expand full story
gazelle Stories August 18, 2014
Electronics trade-in site Gazelle has today announced that it will lock trade-in prices for iPhones between now and September 9th for 50 days. This means that iPhone owners looking to upgrade can get a quote today, but not let go of their device until the new iPhone arrives, keeping the original quoted price. Gazelle predicts that trade-in prices for iPhone 5s to fall up to 25% in the month following the expected iPhone 6 announcement.
Gazelle is also running another promotion in tandem, temporarily raising prices offered for iPhone 5s. Gazelle will now offer up to $350 for an iPhone 5s in perfect condition. Obviously, arranging an iPhone trade-in sooner rather than later will ensure you get the highest price for your devices.
gazelle Stories July 28, 2014
9to5Toys Last Call: Gazelle $20 bonus on iPad trades, Target stores $10 off $40, ZAGG 20% off, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Last Call Updates:
- Apple iPad mini 32GB WiFi (Silver or Space Gray) $300 shipped (orig. $399)
- TouchPico: Turn Any Surface Into A Touch Screen with this Amazing Device
- Home Deals: Cuisinart 14-Piece Ceramic Cookware $100 (Reg. $250), Hamilton Beach Smoothie Blender $30 (Reg. $50), batteries, more
Exclusive: Get an extra $20 to trade in your old iPad at Gazelle (up to $430)
Target coupon: save $10 on in-store pickup orders of $40 or more
ZAGG 20% off sitewide Back to School Sale: iPad keyboard cases, invisibleSHIELD, more
Other new deals:
- New! Case-Mate 50% off sitewide sale: iPhone cases as low as $8 shipped, more
- New! Games/Apps: Xbox gift cards 20% off, MagicalPad HD FREE (Reg. $4), more
- New! Google Chromecast streaming media player $30 shipped (Reg. $35)
- New! Daily Deals: Garmin nüvi 5″ GPS: $120, LOTR Trilogy on Blu-Ray: $38, more
- New! Targus Legend IQ laptop backpack $20 (orig. $50)
- New! REI 60-80% off promo: Platypus hydration pack $37, LED lantern $16, much more
- New! Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3 Desktop Hard Drive: $100 shipped
- New! HP 14″ Haswell Chromebook, 4GB Memory, 16GB SSD, 2 yrs 4G $238 (Reg. $348)
More deals still alive:
- Fantastical 2 calendar app for iPhone, iPad and Mac up to 50% off
- rooCASE iPad mini cases for $3.50 each Prime shipped (Reg. $10)
- Apple desktop Macs: iMac 21.5-inch $1100 shipped (Reg. $1299), $110 off Mac mini
- Airport wireless routers (Refurb): Express $60 (Reg. $99 new), Extreme $120 (Reg. $199)
- Fashion: NFL, MLB, NBA hats $5 each, Tommy Hilfiger extra 50% off all sale items, more
- Home Deals: Nespresso Espresso Maker w/ milk frother $194 (orig. $279), more
- Roku LT streaming media player $37 shipped (Reg. $50)
- Plug/Ethernet Adapter Kits: TRENDnet 200Mbps $20, Zyxel 500Mbs $30, more
- Pencil by FiftyThree: Graphite $50 shipped (Reg. $60), Walnut $60 shipped (Reg. $75)
- Solid State Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB $120, Crucial M550 512GB $240 / 1TB $400
- Google Nexus 7 case $10 w/ free pickup at Best Buy (80% off)
- Motorola’s back to school sale drops up to $125 off the Moto X’s regular asking price
- OtterBox Defender Series for 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD: $20 (Reg. $80)
- TP-LINK AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit $30 shipped (orig. $70)
- Headphones: Sony BT over-ears (refurb) $67 (Reg. $130), Scosche over ears $55, more
New products/ongoing promotions:
- Incase’s new Icon sleeve is “the next evolution in protection” for your MacBook and iPad
- Fashion: Nordstrom Sale yields significant savings on Lacoste, Under Armour, more
- Bungie opens up Destiny beta to everyone across all platforms
- The new littleBits WiFi enabled cloudBit makes anything an internet connected smart device
- Existing and future Chromecast owners can get a free 90-day Google All Access trial
- Google Play Summer App Sale: up to 60% off Runtastic apps, FF, NBA Jam, Weather Pro, many more
- 8Bitdo brings retro gaming to iOS, Android, Mac and more with its NES Bluetooth controller
- New and upcoming Bluetooth speakers: Denon HEOS, Scosche boomBOTTLE black & Fugoo +Sport
- Logitech Harmony remotes & keyboards now work together to create the ultimate home theater experience
- Jump into the world of LED light bulbs for less than $5 a pop with Ikea Ledare
- Verizon FiOS goes symmetrical, upload speeds now same rate as downloads at same cost
- Save 30% on an AppleCare Protection Plan for your 13 or 15-inch MacBook
- Raspberry Pi B+ microcomputer available w/ enhancements, same $35 price tag
- Smart Home:
- Free Philips Hue personal wireless lightning bulb ($60 value) w/ purchase of Philips Hue pack
- $25 off the Wink Hub w/ one accessory purchase or $49 off w/ two accessory purchases
- Save 25% on Nomad’s new carabiner, key & credit card sized MFi Lightning cables
gazelle Stories March 21, 2014
A new report from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, via Fortune, sheds some light on customer behaviour of how quickly people get their iPad, iPhone or Macs upgraded or replaced. For instance, iPhones have approximate lifespans of two years, tied closely to when people’s contracts end. If the phone is in good condition, rather unsurprisingly, most people replace their phones alongside their new contract. Macs stay around for up to four years before being swapped out for newer equipment. The report argues that iPad life cycles more closely resemble Macs than iPhones.
However, in the case of loss or damage, people are much more compelled to replace their iPhones than Macs or iPads. Eighty percent of people replace iPhones within just two days. For Macs and iPads, this stretches out a week or even more. Over a quarter of buyers surveyed said they would replace an iPad immediately compared to approximately 37% for iPhones.
gazelle Stories October 14, 2013
Over half of iPads now being traded to Gazelle are iPad 2 & 3
New iPad figures from Gazelle suggest that owners of iPad 2 and iPad 3 models may be preparing to upgrade to the iPad 5. Gazelle told me that they are seeing five times as many iPad trade-ins as last year, with the trade-in rate increasing as the month progresses. Apple is due to launch the iPad 5 on 22nd October. Over half of all iPads being traded-in this year are the iPad 2 and 3 models.
gazelle Stories August 30, 2013
Following our reports detailing the new service, Apple today officially kicked off its new Apple Store iPhone trade-in program that will see customers trading in old iPhones in exchange for credit towards an upgrade to a newer model. The initiative is part of Apple CEO Tim Cook’s new iPhone sales strategy and meant to be “competitive” with other trade-in services, but is it really the best option for getting the most out of your old iPhone before new devices get announced?
The new in-store program will fall under the same Reuse and Recycling marketing Apple uses for its online trade-in system, but for in-store trade-ins it has switched from partner PowerOn to Brightstar to determine the value of iPhones and handle the trade-ins. Apple employees are even encouraging customers to take advantage of the new trade-in offer when bringing in a damaged device to their local Apple Store, but we’ve found other services are currently offering much more for your used iPhone in good condition. expand full story
gazelle Stories August 13, 2013
Update: Gazelle has announced an extended 50-day price lock window. That will give you until October 15th to send your iPhone in, but you’ll have to lock in your price before Apple’s September 10th event to take advantage.
With the unveiling of a next-generation iPhone expected on September 10th, it’s once again time to start thinking about trade-in options for your current device. While iPhones typically hold their resale value much better than competing devices, previous iPhone models historically experience a big drop in trade-in value in the 3-4 weeks leading up to an iPhone announcement. That’s highlighted in the chart above showing average decline in selling prices for previous gen iPhones leading up to the iPhone 5 launch.
With reliable reports of the next-gen iPhone coming early next month (no word on if that means the rumored iPhone 5S, 5C, or both), now is the time to get the most for your iPhone if you plan on upgrading when Apple’s new device finally becomes available. Apple is testing its own trade-in program that should launch in the coming months, but until then we’ve put together a chart showing where to get the most out of your device today: expand full story
gazelle Stories June 6, 2013
Just off the wires, Apple appears to be ready to offer trade-ins on iPhones for the first time according to Bloomberg. Apple currently offers a free recycling program for older devices but this would seem to follow efforts by companies such as Gazelle, Amazon and others who offer big bucks for older iOS devices and Macs.
Apple Inc. is starting an iPhone trade-in program this month aimed at getting users to upgrade to the iPhone 5 and turn in older models, people with knowledge of the plans said.
Apple has teamed up with Brightstar Corp., a mobile-phone distributor, to run the exchange program, said the people, who asked not to be identified because Apple hasn’t publicly announced the plan.
The trade-ins will only be done at Apple Retail Stores and will allow customers to recieve credit instantly. Recently, Best Buy began offering Free iPhone 5s with plan for an iPhone 4 or 4S trade-in. Apple apparently liked the idea – Brightstar counts both Best Buy and Apple amongst its client list. Apple also worked with Brightstar to help AT&T and T-Mobile with their recent trade-in promotions.
Used iPhones collected in the U.S. will only be resold in emerging markets, where Apple’s share is lower and demand for cheap devices is greater according to the report.
gazelle Stories May 28, 2013
9to5Toys Last Call: 20-50% off ZAGG iPad keyboards, cables + more, $7 4-in-1 USB Cable, Extra $10 for Gazelle trade-ins, more
A large majority of the deals we cover each day come from a variety of ‘Daily Deal’ websites or are so popular that they don’t even last 24 hours. We know you can’t be at your computer every second, so we’re going to roundup the best deals each day to make sure you have a fair shot at the deals you want.
Today’s Featured deals:
- 4-in-1 USB Cable (Lightning, 30-Pin Apple/Samsung and Micro-USB) $4 + $3 Shipping
- Check out our mini review here.
- ZAGG announces huge Memorial Day sale: 20% – 50% off site wide including invisibleSHIELD, iPad keyboards & more
- Last day!
Other great deals we love that may not see tomorrow:
- 9to5Toys Exclusive: Cash in an extra $10 on Gazelle when you trade-in your used (or broken!) electronics
- Today only: Amazon all Video Games Gold Box Event plus other daily game deals
- Injustice Gods Among Us $35 Shipped – Lowest price ever
- Logitech UE Mini Boombox Bluetooth speaker, “9to5Mac’s best portable Speaker you can buy” $80 Shipped (Save 20%)
- Jabra DRIVE Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone: $30 shipped (up to $30 off)
- Sennheiser OCX 880 Black Ear-Hook Headphones: $57 (up to $110 off)
- Dynex wired keyboard $5 and Logitech wireless mouse $10 shipped
- eBook Freebie: Analysis Without Paralysis: 12 Tools to Make Better Strategic Decisions (Reg. $35)
gazelle Stories January 8, 2013
Trade-in value on broken iPhone 4S as much as mint condition Galaxy S2
Here are some interesting charts from Gazelle at CES that compare trade-in values of the iPhone versus the competition. As you can see from the images above and below, the iPhone, like many Apple products, have tendency of retaining a higher trade-in value longer than other devices. In many situations, months after the release of a device, a broken iPhone 4S with a completely shattered display is worth more or about the same as a seemingly mint condition Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus. A gallery of all the stats Gazelle had on display at CES is below:
gazelle Stories September 12, 2012
Updated: Trade-in your old iPhone for a shiny new iPhone 5
The next-generation iPhone launched today and some trade-in values are already slumping by $50 or more, so now is the absolute last minute to start exchanging those soon-to-be old models to earn some extra cash for the new iPhone 5. 9to5Mac compiled a list of reliable places to help you trade an ‘ole dusty iPhone for cash or credit—up to $460 in some cases!
Online gadget resellers are experiencing a huge smartphone trade-in surge, as we reported yesterday, but they warned 9to5Mac that today’s attractive prices would not maintain with the iPhone 5 shipping in less than two weeks.
Gazelle, which is one such website that noticed the ballooning amount of trade-ins, said it witnessed a 1,550 percent increase in Web traffic following today’s Apple announcement.
“We’ve had around a 75 percent increase in offers presented since yesterday,” Gazelle Chief Gadget Officer Anthony Scarsella told 9to5Mac. “Last year, prices declined 25 percent in the week following the announcement. We expect something similar to this.”
Before browsing the options below, take a moment to identify the condition, features, and model of the swappable iPhone. This will help determine its potential value, because most online programs use a survey to calculate the iPhone’s estimate. Moreover, it is prudent to act now, as retailers will likely drop their prices as the launch date draws nearer.
gazelle Stories March 14, 2012
If you plan to trade-in your iPad 2 and pick up a third-generation iPad when it launches on Friday morning, Apple is now giving you another option by offering up to $320 in trade-in value (Apple Store gift cards) for an iPad 2 depending on the condition and model. To get the full $320 from Apple’s Reuse and Recycle program, you will need a 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G model in near perfect condition. On the entry-level 16GB Wi-Fi model, Apple is offering $205. Before the new iPad unveiling, we told you our Top 10 places to trade an iPad for cash or credit, and a few of those options are still providing slightly more than Apple in many cases.
A quick look at a couple of the other popular options—Gazelle and Amazon—will get you just over $400 for an AT&T 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G iPad in “flawless” condition, which is quite a bit more than Apple is offering. Of course, for your iPad to qualify for that much, it will have to “look like it has never been used,” according to Gazelle. Some listings on Amazon are as high as $450. Those options also give you alternative payout methods. In the case of Gazelle, you will be able to get your trade-in value by check, PayPal, or an Amazon gift card. Trade-in values will likely start to fall after the new iPad’s rollout, but Gazelle told us it has seen a 700-percent increase in trade-ins since the new iPad announcement with over 150,000 iPad offers in total so far. Apple’s announcement that the iPad 2’s new $399 price tag was great for education and it certainly did not hurt demand for the iPad 2.
Before you sell your iPad, you will want to get it prepared, cleaned, and packed to get the maximum trade-in value. After the break, you will find step-by-step tips for doing exactly that, courtesy of Gazelle: expand full story
gazelle Stories February 29, 2012
The Internet is abuzz with stats about iPad trade-ins going through the roof as the March 7 iPad 3 unveiling in San Francisco looms closer, and while percentages and graphs are vaguely interesting, the real meat to the story concerns where and how people can get the most bang for their buck.
Look no further as 9to5Mac compiled a list of places to trade in an ole’ dusty iPad for cash or credit to buy Apple’s upcoming toy. Before perusing the options, identify the condition, features, and model of the swappable iPad. This knowledge will help decide its maximum value, because most of these online programs use a survey to determine the slate’s estimate. Moreover, it is prudent to act now as some reports indicate retailers are steadily dropping prices with Apple’s event drawing nearer.
Trade-in websites and their prices are available below.