According to figures released by market research company BCN, Asus sold more tablets than Apple during the first half of 2014 in Japan. Asus’ market share rose 8 percent year-over-year during the first half of 2014, the report claims, giving it a 38.9 percent portion of the tablet market in Japan. Apple, on the other hand, holds a 36.4 percent share (via Nikkei). This is the first time Asus has ever held the top spot in Japan, according to the report. expand full story
Nexus 7 Stories July 17, 2014
Nexus 7 Stories June 11, 2014
PSA: You can now get a new iPad mini at Best Buy for $199.99 shipped ($100 off)
Update: Best Buy only offers in-store pickup now.
Looking for a deal on a full-size iPad? Altatac (Top Rated Plus seller) via eBay Daily Deals has a 16GB WiFi model for $399.99 shipped (Reg. $499)
Nexus 7 Stories November 28, 2013
DisplayMate, a company specializing in scientific display testing and calibration, gave the Retina iPad Mini third place in detailed lab tests of three leading 7-inch tablets, criticising Apple for “really bad planning” for what it considers to be out-dated display technology.
And finally… the iPad mini with Retina Display unfortunately comes in with a distant 3rd place finish behind the innovative displays on the Kindle Fire HDX 7 and new Nexus 7 […]
All of this reliance on IGZO is really bad planning… Right now there is a readily available display technology that has much higher performance than IGZO. It’s Low Temperature Poly Silicon LTPS, and it is used in all of the iPhones and in all of Samsung OLEDs (so it’s available in large quantities). Two innovative tablet manufacturers, Amazon and Google, have significantly leapfrogged Apple by introducing Tablet displays using LTPS (in the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and the new Nexus 7), and they are significantly outperforming the IGZO and a-Si displays in the current iPads. Apple is now lagging in displays, an area where it was once the leader… expand full story
Sylvania HomeKit Light Strip
Nexus 7 Stories November 18, 2013
Although initial reviews of Apple’s new Retina iPad mini bemoaned its cost but praised its display, a slew of more hands-on reviews have realized a notably narrower color gamut (same as the non-Retina iPad mini) compared to other popular tablets including the iPad Air and Nexus 7.
While it may not be immediately noticeable to many consumers, it’s certainly a fine, in-depth critique when investing in what you expect to be the best tablet on the market.
Is the Retina iPad mini sharper? Obviously. But don’t expect to see its colors pop in the same way that the iPhone 5 display delivered after the iPhone 4S. Check out the detailed comments below:
Nexus 7 Stories September 26, 2013
Update to Google Search iOS app to bring cross platform notifications
Google is celebrating its 15 birthday and today announced a number of improvements to search on mobile devices including an incoming Google Search app update for iPhone and iPad that will enable notifications for reminders & more across platforms:
With this update, you can get notifications across your devices. So if you tell your Nexus 7, “OK Google. Remind me to buy olive oil at Safeway,” when you walk into the store with your iPhone, you’ll get a reminder. We’ll also show you Google Now notifications so you’re not late to your cooking class.
You’ll start noticing many new improvements to search on Android and iOS today, but Google says the cross platform notifications will arrive within a couple weeks through an update to the Google Search iPhone and iPad app.
More on all of Google’s new features for search on mobile on 9to5Google.
Nexus 7 Stories August 6, 2013
9to5Toys Last Call: $34 Sony 64GB SDHC/SDXC Class 10 memory card, $40 Timex Ironman Road Trainer heart-rate monitor, 50% off invisibleSHIELD, apps/games, more
A large majority of the deals we cover each day come from a variety of ‘Daily Deal’ websites or are so popular that they don’t even last 24 hours. We know you can’t be at your computer every second, so we’re going to round up the best deals each day to make sure you have a fair shot at the deals you want. Be sure to follow 9to5Toys.com so you never miss a deal... Twitter, RSS Feed, Facebook, Google+.
Today’s Featured deals:
Sony 64GB SDHC/SDXC Class 10 UHS-1, Up to 40 MB/s read speeds $34 Shipped (Reg. $115)
Timex Ironman Road Trainer Heart-Rate Monitor $40 (Reg. $110)
Save 50% on any ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for your iPhone, iPad, eReader or other gadget
Other great deals we love:
- New! OfficeMax 20% off: New 1080p Nexus 7: $216 (Reg. $269)
- New! Game Deals: Pikmin 3: $51, Dark Souls: $7.50, Kingdom Rush (iOS): Free, more
New! 1-Year subscription to Popular Science magazine for $5 (Reg. $48) New! HP x3000 Wireless Optical Mouse $10 shipped (Reg. $25) New! Vizio 14″ Ultrabook Intel i3 HD SSD with Windows 7 Refurb $380 shipped
- Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB Mobile Wireless Storage $80 shipped
- Jawbone BIG JAMBOX Bluetooth wireless speaker $190 shipped for students (Reg. $300)
- LG 23-inch IPS LED LCD 1080p Display $140 shipped
- Microsoft drops the Surface Pro price by $100
- Watch 20 James Bond movies in HD for free on Amazon Prime Instant Video
- Bond 50: The Complete 22 Film Collection on Blu-ray $110 Shipped (Reg. $300)
- Bad Piggies: FREE, Up to 80% off Rockstar titles, Metal Gear Rising: $28 shipped, more
- Select eBooks starting at $1 from the Amazon Kindle Store
- 16GB Kindle Fire HD 7″ tablet + leather case + $25 gift card for $144 shipped ($255 value)
- Get a free $10 gift card when you sign-up for an Amazon Prime membership
- Free 2 month Hulu Plus trial for new customers
- $25 for $50 worth of protective gear from Speck for your iPhone, iPad, Galaxy and more
- 100 MP3 album downloads for $5 each from Amazon: Coldplay, Kanye West, Rolling Stones, U2, more
- Samsung 11.6″ Chromebook goes on sale for $219 shipped at Amazon ($269 for 3G)
- Nexus 7 (2013 2nd gen) Cases: rooCASE folio case w/ stylus $6, MoKo Slim-Fit Multi-angle $6
- Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player software $30 (Reg. $40)