Apple has released OS X 10.9.1 for Mac via the Mac App Store today. The update includes a number of Mail related fixes including improved support for Gmail as well as numerous bug fixes. The update also fixes a VoiceOver issue that prevented sentences with emoji characters from being read…

Apple previously released a Gmail fix in early November after issues with Mavericks created instability.

What’s New in Version 10.9.1

The 10.9.1 update improves the stability and compatibility of your Mac.

This update includes the following fixes:
• Improved support for Gmail in OS X Mail, and fixes for users with custom Gmail settings
• Improves the reliability of Smart Mailboxes and search in Mail
• Fixes an issue that prevented contact groups from working properly in Mail
• Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from speaking sentences that contain emoji
• Updates Shared Links periodically when open in the Safari Sidebar

Apple first issued OS X 10.9.1 to developers in November followed by additional test releases, but today’s release is public and available to all Mavericks users via the Mac App Store. Support documents for today’s release should be available here later today.

Update: Safari 7.0.1 (and 6.1.1 for users on Mountain Lion) has been released to the public as well. The 7.0.1 update is rolled into the OS X update, but Mountain Lion users will need to check for updates and install it separately.

24 Responses to “Apple releases Mavericks OS X 10.9.1 with improved Gmail support, Shared Link improvements, more”

1. not enough.. my new mba keeps freezing and get stuck with need to reboot.. not okay!

2. Alan Goldman says:

all this time and that lame list of fixes?

3. I love how the detailed information support page is just *missing*. 404. Nice.

4. should have never been release with some of it’s issues… i miss steve!

5. godrifle says:

Apple’s losing it under Tim Cook, IMHO. Mac OS X Mavericks is a disaster. I’ve been a Mac user since the original 128k, and this is a buggy OS. I’m seeing oddities across my entire company and home, on recent iMacs, mini servers, MBAs. I’ve been running 10.9.1 since it was available to Apple corporate, and see no improvements, sadly. That said, I’m showing a 10.9.1 update so it may be a later build that Apple released internally.

6. I have noticed gmail problems in Mail back in 10.9. Submitted a bug report, provided requested logs. Then beta of 10.9.1 came out, I have done the same thing since the issue persisted. Now there is a final release of 10.9.1 and guess what? The issue is still there, Mail shows 36 emails in the inbox, whereas there are no emails there according to the gmail website.

• That mirrors my experience, Mr. Pavlov. I filed a bunch of Mail.app bugs against 10.9 pre-release, and they all came back dupes. Then they all remained in the GM, when I filed against it. It was flabbergasting. I got so disenfranchised with all the dupes that I simply stopped filing bugs with Apple. What was the point? Radar is like a black hole. Here we are in the middle of December and it looks like a lot of them are going to persist though 10.9.1. Simply flabbergasting. $99 is too high a price to pay to be treated like a “lackey”; it isn’t worth it for me to continue to get dev releases from a company unwilling to take bug reports seriously. (And, worse, to make the bug reporting process as painful and uninformative as they have.)

godrifle: I’m seeing the same problems in my client-base. 10.8 and 10.9 have been disasters. The Gmail problems in 10.9 was devastating (well, for Apple, because I kept most of my clients off it, as best I could). I have a LOT of small businesses using Google Apps. Apple offers NOTHING that compares to Google Apps for small businesses; OS X Server is a joke by comparison.

Apple is quickly losing the “halo” they had built up. My clients wouldn’t tolerate such slop from Microsoft, they CERTAINLY aren’t going to take it from Apple. I already have clients that are taking a second look at Windows 8, after having migrated from Windows XP to Macintosh. For Apple to restore confidence, they need to divorce the productivity apps from the OS–Mail.app, Calendar.app, Messages.app, etc–(like Google has done in Android), and put them on a separate development cycle that arcs over the 12-month OS cycle. At this point, Apple claiming to be on a 12 month tick-tock is flat-out ludicrous. They’re on an 18-month schedule and forcing a 6 month public beta on their users. It isn’t fair, and it isn’t ethical. Apple will reap what they’ve sown.

7. Has NOT fixed the GMail issue. FFS Apple, get rid of the monkeys and employ some talent for Pete’s sake.

8. Boy, there are a lot of whiners here today.

9. ronie678 says:

Reblogged this on Ronak's Apple iNews.

10. Bollocks update to a bollocks OS. I can’t like iOS 7 and Mavericks no matter how much I try. If they want to mimic windows debacles, they’re headed in the right direction.

11. Anyone know if this update fixes the issue that currently disables the “tile” image on the desktop background option??

12. my issues are resolved, i dont know why still people facing the same issue, but definitely there must be something lacking in this update, but im happy for me and sad for others

13. Robert Hartl says:

Does not help with (my) Mail problems (crashing all the time).

14. Thijs Nijman says:

Gmail still not working.. How can they ever do this in production environment?

15. stop buying apple stuff people.

16. OK, So they “fixed” G-Mail. What about serious operating system fixes, like bringing back Labels. For many, Labels are critical.

17. GregD says:

i was fat, dumb, and happy. then i installed mavericks.

mavericks is the ultimate proof of “you get what you pay for”. my system runs slower in every way possible. but worst of all is that mavericks broke pages, my WP (word processor) that i depend on for my livelihood (nycity123.com).

after the fact i learned that this has happened to many people. apparently apple has this screwball idea that they want the desktop WP to be the same as the phone WP, so they could care less that those of us using their older desktop WP are adversely affected by the new OSX or the dumbed down new WP app – Pages 5.

my work around is to learn to use MS Word. how ironic that Apple mavericks breaks their own WP (Pages) but not MS Word. i will be in the market for a new desktop computer this year. if i’m going to have to use MS software then it doesn’t make sense to pay the Apple premium for Apple hardware. if enough folks show their displeasure, maybe Apple will change their sloppy, incompetent, customer unfriendly software policies.