Need to make a local backup your iPhone with your Mac but haven’t done it in a while? Follow along for how to backup your iPhone in macOS Catalina.
If you don’t want to pay for iCloud storage, backing up your iPhone with a Mac is a good option.
But even if you like to use iCloud as your primary backup method, backing up with your Mac is a great plan to keep all your iPhone data protected in multiple places.
If you haven’t backed up your Mac in macOS Catalina, it’s a bit different than previous versions, let’s jump in…
Mac: How to backup your iPhone in macOS Catalina
- Plug your iPhone into your Mac with a USB-C or USB-A to Lightning cable
- Open Finder (on macOS versions older than Catalina do the same steps in iTunes)
- Look for your iPhone on the left sidebar and click it
- In the middle of the screen, click Back Up Now
- You can check the status in sidebar
- Click the eject button next to your iPhone before unplugging it
Here’s how these steps look:
You can backup your iPhone with your Mac even if you have the default set to iCloud.
Note, if you want to change the default backup behavior for your iPhone, select “Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac.”
Finder doesn’t give an estimated time for how long the backup will take but you can look next to your iPhone in the sidebar to see a status icon (you can also hover over it to get a cancel button).
You’ll see a confirmation that your iPhone was backed up to your Mac when it’s complete.
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
iPhone & iPad:
- iPhone: How to remove location data from photos and videos before sharing
- iPhone: 5 tips to declutter and organize apps, emails, messages, photos, more
- How to use the Apple Pencil screenshot shortcut on iPad
- How to find out when your iPhone 11 camera is using Deep Fusion
- How to use the Deep Fusion iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro camera feature
- How to edit messages on iPhone and iPad with two-finger tap
- How to use the ultra wide camera on iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro
- Audio not working for one of your AirPods? Here’s how to fix it
- How to get AirPods Pro ear tip replacements
- How to clean your dirty AirPods Pro and charging case
- AirPods Pro: How to customize Force Sensor controls
- AirPods Pro: How to use Ear Tip Fit Test and change tips
- AirPods Pro: How to use noise cancellation and Transparency mode
- AirPods Pro vs Powerbeats Pro: How specs, size, price, and more compare
- What’s the difference in AirPods and AirPods Pro? Here’s how size, price, and features compare
- macOS Catalina: How to master Dark Mode for Mac
- How to force iMessage to sync with iCloud on Mac
- macOS: How to set up Force Click with a Logitech MX Master mouse
- Selling your MacBook? Here’s how to repair the butterfly keyboard for free and get more money
- How to check iPad and Mac Sidecar requirements
- How to create a bootable macOS Catalina 10.15 USB install drive [Video]
- How to sync iPhone and iPad to your Mac in macOS Catalina without iTunes
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.