In this week’s top stories: Apple fixes the pesky Telugu bug, new iPad models on the horizon, details on next-gen AirPods, iPhone production speculation, and more. Read on for this week’s top stories…
Ecobee HomeKit Thermostat
After emerging last week, Apple this week officially rolled out a fix for the Telugu character that would cause iOS apps to crash. Of course, Apple’s fix didn’t come until after idiots all over the internet were sharing the character, but you can updated to iOS 11.2.6 to protect yourself.
A series of new regulatory filings in the Eurasia commission database this week appeared to indicate two new iPad models coming soon. The devices carry model identifiers A1954 and A1893 and suggest that new iPads are coming sooner rather than later. We’ve heard in the past that Apple has new iPads with Face ID and more in development.
Continuing the new product leaks, Bloomberg reported that Apple has a new pair of AirPods in development with ‘Hey Siri’ slated for this year. Also coming at some point down the line are AirPods with a water-resistant design.
Apple this week also released the third iOS 11.3 beta to developers. iPhone accessory maker took things a step further by claiming that iOS 11.3 will be released to the public next week, but the legitimacy of that claim remains to be seen.
Finally, Apple was named the world’s most innovative company by Fast Company this week thanks to the iPhone X, AirPods, ARKit, and more. In an accompanying interview, Tim Cook explained that Apple has a roadmap for product releases well into the 2020s, while also noting that the company isn’t necessarily in it for the money.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below…
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS
- Idiots are tweeting the Telugu character to crash iPhone Twitter apps
- Apple releases iOS 11.2.6, watchOS 4.2.3, tvOS 11.2.6, and macOS 10.13.3 supplemental update including Telugu character fix
- Apple releases iOS 11.3 beta 3 for iPhone and iPad
- AirPlay 2 removed from iOS and tvOS 11.3, suggests HomePod multi-room and stereo won’t arrive next month
- Yahoo email not working with iPhone and iPad Mail app for many users, company investigating a fix
- Apple Pay Cash international roll out appears imminent as iOS users in Spain, Ireland see feature
- iPhone accessory maker Shure claims iOS 11.3 to be released next week, includes fix for their mics
iPad & Apple TV |
- How to stream the 2018 Winter Olympics on iPhone, iPad, Mac & Apple TV
- Eurasian filings hint at two new iPad models coming soon
- Nikkei reiterates iPhone X production being cut in half, leaving Samsung scrambling for OLED buyers
- Sketchy source makes unlikely claim about 4.2-inch iPhone SE 2 launching at WWDC
HomePod & HomeKit |
- How to create a smart home in a smart way
- Opinion: Nokia hasn’t been healthy for Withings, Apple should consider HealthKit hardware
- Homecam app for HomeKit cameras gains powerful new controls, video switching on Apple TV
- HomePod’s white ring problem should be easy to solve, say industrial designers
- Study finds early HomePod adoption at 3% as smart speaker market hits 89% satisfaction
- New AirPods reportedly coming this year with ‘Hey Siri’ support, water resistant model in development
- Apple’s AirPower said to be released next month, pricing info still unclear
- Snapchat officially responds to anti-redesign petition with over 1M signatures
- Snap loses $1.3B in market value as reality TV star Kylie Jenner says she no longer uses Snapchat
- Affinity Photo for iPad receives big 1.6.7 update + free limited-time bonus content
Apple Watch |
- Apple Watch SOS saved a mom and her baby after a drunk driver hit their car
- Apple launches rich ‘Close Your Rings’ webpage to promote healthy living with Apple Watch
AAPL Company |
- Huge crack in glass of flagship Chicago Apple Store, present for several weeks
- Apple named the most innovative company in the world thanks to AirPods, AR and iPhone X
- Apple may buy cobalt direct from mining companies, protecting both parties
- Here are the latest banks & credit unions to add Apple Pay support
- Tim Cook FastCo interview: Apple not a follower; working on products well into 2020s; not in it for the money
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top video |
Happy Hour Podcast #161 |
This week Benjamin and Zac discuss the slow death of Twitter for Mac, Apple requiring app updates to support iPhone X, Nokia probably killing Withings and how HealthKit will be affected, the Telugu character bug in iOS 11, a small change in watchOS 4.3 beta, CarPool Karaoke returning for season 2, hints of new iPads coming soon, iOS 12 features rumored to be on the way, the current state of the not-yet-shipped AirPlay 2 feature, and HomePod’s ring issue.
9to5Mac Daily |
Welcome to 9to5Mac Daily, a new podcast bringing you the latest in Apple news and top 9to5Mac stories every Monday through Friday. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 031: RIP Twitter for Mac, Apple fixes Telugu bug, iOS 11.3 changes | 9to5Mac Daily
- 032: New iPad rumors, first HomeKit baby monitor, Alto’s Odyssey | 9to5Mac Daily
- 033: Hey Siri AirPods, Apple Pay stats, Affinity Photo upgrade | 9to5Mac Daily
- 034: AirPower rumor, global Apple Pay Cash, 9to5Toys deals | 9to5Mac Daily