Just yesterday we posted a video showing what can occasionally happen when a lithium ion battery receives impact damage, and today the Sydney Morning Herald has a report showing that the same thing can happen with no sledgehammers involved.
A Sydney bicycle rider […] was severely burnt when his Apple iPhone exploded after a minor fall […] Bondi management consultant Gareth Clear, 36, said his iPhone was in his back pocket and ignited after he had a fall from his bike while riding on Sunday afternoon.
“I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket…and then all of a sudden I felt this surging pain,” he said, adding that he felt a “searing heat” as the phone burnt through his riding shorts in a matter of seconds.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said that it was investigating, but that the slimness of modern devices like the iPhone increased the risk of such incidents …
expand full story