In this week’s top stories: 2018 iPhone dummy images continue to hit the web, new wallpapers for macOS Mojave users, iOS 12 offers hint at this year’s new iPad Pro models, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news…
First off, this week brought a set of leaked images that claim to show dummy units of the iPhone X Plus and 6.1-inch iPhone coming this year. The images offer a close look at the size differences between the two, as well as the difference in band materials.
Meanwhile, we were able to uncover details about the new iPad Pro models coming this year thanks to Apple’s latest iOS 12 beta. Perhaps most telling is an icon that shows a future iPad model with ultra-thin bezels and no Home button or notch.
Further, other icons in iOS 12 beta 5 suggest that this year’s iPad Pro models will feature rounded corners, much like the iPhone X.
The iPad leaks don’t stop there, however. A purported CAD rendering of the 2018 iPad Pro hit the web this week with a closer look at where we can expect the Smart Connector to be located this year. According to this CAD, the Smart Connector will move to the back of the iPad, directly above the Lightning port.
For Mac users, Apple this week released the fifth beta of macOS 10.14 to developers. Included in the release is a massive set of new wallpapers. We’ve rounded them all up here, so be sure to take a look if you need some new art for your Mac desktop.
AAPL reported its Q3 2018 earnings this week as well. The company announced $53.3 billion in revenue and $11.5 billion in profit backed by selling 41.3 million iPhones, 11.55 million iPads, and 3.7 million Macs.
Last but certainly not least, Apple crossed the $1 trillion market capitalization milestone this week, becoming the world’s first trillion dollar company. Tim Cook acknowledged the milestone in an email to employees,
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below…
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS |
- macOS Mojave includes new MacBook Pro and iMac marketing wallpapers, download here
- watchOS 5 developer beta 5 for Apple Watch now available
- iOS 12 developer beta 5 for iPhone and iPad now available
- What’s the best weather app for iPhone?
- macOS Mojave developer beta 5 for Mac now available
- iOS 12 beta 5 includes new shots of AirPods wireless charging case for AirPower ahead of release
- iOS 12 beta hints at rumored iPhone X Plus with iPad-like landscape app design
- Leaked images claim to show iPhone X Plus & 6.1-inch LCD iPhone dummy units [Gallery]
- New videos show hands-on footage with 6.1-inch and 6.5-inch 2018 iPhone dummy models
- iOS 12 beta 5 further hints at dual-SIM support coming to future iPhone models
- Report: 6.1-inch LCD ‘iPhone 9’ model with dual-SIM to be exclusive to China
- The three reasons a film director claims iPhone photography isn’t really photography
Apple Watch | iPad |
- Purported 2018 iPad Pro CAD shows new location of Smart Connector
- Icon found in iOS 12 shows iPad with thin bezels, no Home button or notch
- Comment: The rumor that Face ID only works in vertical mode on the new iPads makes zero sense
Tech Industry |
- T-Mobile tops customer satisfaction survey, Sprint comes in last ahead of merger
- MoviePass CEO says major new films will not be available to subscribers going forward
- WhatsApp Status to start showing ads, as it starts allowing companies to contact you
AAPL Company |
- AAPL hits $1 trillion market cap, Apple first publicly traded company to reach 13 digit valuation
- Tim Cook thanks employees in memo following record-setting $1 trillion market cap
- Apple says it is removing apps & in-app purchases from its iTunes Affiliate Program
- Apple ordered to pay $145M in damages for infringing on two patents held by WiLan
- Warren Buffett and other winners from AAPL’s trillion dollar valuation
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top video |
- Hands-on: iOS 12 beta 5 changes and features [Video]
- Compared: Razer Core X with RX Vega 64 vs Blackmagic eGPU [Video]
Happy Hour Podcast #184 |
This week Benjamin and Zac talk about traveling and data caps on carrier plans, the resolution to Apple’s MacBook Pro throttling issue (and possibly the keyboard problem), Macotakara’s report on the upcoming iPad Pro losing its headphone jack, Face ID only working in portrait orientation, and moving its Smart Connector, a leaked CAD image that may back up that report, iGen’s report on upcoming HomePod features including multiple timers and phone call features, Apple’s latest earnings report, and more.
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: July 30, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: July 31, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: August 1, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: August 3, 2018
Making The Grade |
Making The Grade is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Making The Grade: How I use iPad and Kinderlime to manage after-school care
- Making The Grade: iPad accessories for the classroom
- Making The Grade: Could Apple own IoT in the enterprise with HomeKit for Work?
- Making the Grade: Could HomePod and Siri have a place in the classroom?
- Making The Grade: Apple’s biggest mistake in K-12 happened in 2006
- Making The Grade: Clever solves the identity management problem for K-12
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
Featured in top image: Dell 38-inch UltraSharp Curved Monitors, Grovemade’s Desk Shelf System, Nixie Tube Clock, Apogee Quartet, KRK VXT6 Studio Monitor speakers, Classicbot Classic Vintage Mac Toy. Read about the setup over on 9to5Toys as part of the ‘Behind the Screens’ series.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.