In this week’s top stories: Concepts imagine the future of Apple hardware and software, Samsung mocks the notch, carriers outline the future of 5G speeds, the first iPhone X Plus part leak, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest and best Apple news…
This week brought a trio of concepts from designers. One offered up suggestions on what iOS 12 could bring to the iPhone, while another imagined a dramatic overhaul of macOS 11. The third and final concept showcased just how big the iPhone X Plus could be.
Speaking of the iPhone X Plus, this week offered our first look at potential parts for the device. A set of images emerged claiming to show the iPhone X Plus’s displays, again highlighting the increased size.
Meanwhile, Bloomberg joined the iPhone X Plus fray this week with a report highlighting that the device may feature a 1242 x 2688 resolution. The report also noted that Apple could bring back the gold color option this year.
Elsewhere, Samsung and other Android manufacturers came out swinging towards Apple at Mobile World Congress. Samsung mocked the iPhone X’s notch design and Face ID, while others attempted to outdo the notch with various “solutions.”
This week also saw comparison’s between the Galaxy S9 and iPhone X. Benchmark tests showed the iPhone X outperform Samsung’s new flagship, while a security researcher outlined just how far ahead Face ID is.
KGI reported that Apple has a pair of over-hear headphones in development set for release this year. The headphones would co-exist with Beats and seemingly feature Apple’s wireless chip technology.
Finally, Zac this week rounded up all of the products Apple is still set to announce this year. The HomePod kicked things off last month and if rumors are any indication, there’s still a lot more to come. Read the full rundown right here.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below…
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS
- New iOS 12 concept offers up refreshed Lock screen, App Bar, Guest Mode, Face ID tricks, and more
- Here’s how Apple could overhaul ‘macOS 11’ w/ a redesign, universal apps, and more [Gallery]
- New screenshots show preferences screen for Apple’s upcoming ClassKit framework
iPad & Mac |
- How a Google employee sold an iMac on Craigslist, but unknowingly had access to its location for 3 years
- PSA: Watch out for these convincing App Store subscription phishing emails
- After AT&T, Sprint names the first six US cities to get 5G
- Bloomberg: 6.5-inch OLED iPhone may feature 1242 x 2688 resolution, gold option, dual SIM
- Hands-on with iOS 11.3 battery health features on a performance throttled iPhone
- Leaked images claim to offer first look at ‘iPhone X Plus’ displays
- iPhone X Plus concept imagines gorgeous gold and dual SIM next to today’s flagship [Video]
- Smartphone security comparison gives Apple top billing, only two Android brands do ok
- Opinion: These attempts to best the iPhone X notch only validate Apple’s design
- Consumer Reports ranks iPhone X the best smartphone camera, iPhone 8 a close second
- The best ultra-thin cases to protect your iPhone X
- Swedish artist uses ARKit face-tracking to create fun optical illusion on iPhone X [Video]
- Nomad introduces new versatile Wireless Travel Stand for iPhone 8 & iPhone X
HomePod & HomeKit |
- Rediscovering a love of music with HomePod, HomeKit, and neon
- Review: VOCOlinc’s smart power strip is an affordable way to add HomeKit to 3 devices
Mobile World Congress |
- Samsung mocks the iPhone X notch & Face ID during Galaxy S9 unveil
- Samsung’s latest Galaxy S9 beaten in some benchmarks by iPhone 7, in all by iPhone 8 & X
- Samsung’s Galaxy S9 face scan trying to keep up with Face ID and failing, say security researchers
- ASUS targets Apple with 26% smaller notch than ‘Fruit Phone X’, higher screen-to-body ratio
- Samsung mobile chief denies copying Apple, says he works on his ‘own roadmap’
AAPL Company |
- From AirPower to the biggest iPhone yet: all the new Apple hardware we expect this year
- KGI: Apple to release all new high-end over-ear headphones later this year
- Apple continues ‘Shot on iPhone X’ campaign with new ‘First Dance’ ad series [Videos]
- Rarely-revealed Apple numbers let us calculate the lifespan of a typical Apple device, says analyst
- Apple confirms using Google servers for iCloud, but Google can’t access data
- Growing calls for boycott of Apple purchases over NRA TV channel
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top video |
- How to easily change the color of individual folders in macOS [Video]
- Hands-on: Akitio’s all-in-one Thunderbolt 3 dock + RAID enclosure is a jack of all trades [Video]
Happy Hour Podcast #162 |
This week Benjamin and Zac unpack the latest rumors about second-generation AirPods adding ‘Hey Siri’ support, the status of Apple’s special AirPower charging mat, new rumors about Apple making high end over ear headphones, fresh details about the so-called iPhone X Plus expected later this year, and much more.
9to5Mac Daily |
Welcome to 9to5Mac Daily, a podcast bringing you the latest in Apple news and top 9to5Mac stories every Monday through Friday. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 035: iPhone X Plus details, high-end Apple headphones, iTunes Store changes | 9to5Mac Daily
- 036: Amazon buys Ring, Apple opening clinics, M. Night Shyamalan series coming | 9to5Mac Daily
- 037: Spotify IPO, Apple Watch skiing and snowboarding, Sketch design update | 9to5Mac Daily
- 038: Apple Watch market share, ClassKit and Classwork app, Apple Pay deals | 9to5Mac Daily
- 039: March Apple Watch Activity Challenge, Instagram video calling, best Apple deals | 9to5Mac Daily
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.