In this week’s top stories: We exclusively show off the new iPhone XS and Apple Watch Series 4, Apple announces its September iPhone event, a surprise AirPort Express update, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories.
On Thursday, we shared an exclusive shot of the iPhone XS that Apple will unveil later this month. The image shows the device in 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch form factors, as well as coming in a new gold color option. Read more in our original coverage right here.
Further, we were able to get our hands on an image of the Apple Watch Series 4. Here, we can see the device’s new edge-to-edge display and a new complication-dense watch face. Read our original coverage right here.
Both the Apple Watch Series 4 and iPhone XS are expected to be unveiled by Apple at at an event this month. Apple officially confirmed its September 12th “Gather round” event this week, saying it will be held at Steve Jobs Theater at 10AM PT/1PM ET.
Elsewhere, a Bloomberg report this week offered some additional details on what to expect with the iPhone XS. The report explained that Apple is focusing on speed and camera upgrades as the primary improvements this year. Wheil the device is expected to feature an A12 processor, specific details about the camera technology aren’t clear.
Last but certainly not least, Apple updated the AirPort Express this week to add AirPlay 2 and Home app support. This means you can now use the AirPort Express to transform any speaker with 3.5mm output into an AirPlay 2-capable device.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below…
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS |
- PSA: It’s not just you, many iOS 12 beta users are seeing erroneous update popups [Update]
- Apple releases iOS 12 developer beta 11, public beta 9 for iPhone and iPad
- Apple releases iOS 12 beta 12 to fix ‘new iOS update’ alert
- What’s the best email app for iPhone?
iPhone | iPad | Mac |
- Exclusive: This is ‘iPhone XS’ — design, larger version, and gold colors confirmed
- Download the wallpaper from the leaked iPhone XS image right here
- Comment: iPhone X may be having an ’S’ year, but the 6.5-inch model will be a giant upgrade
- Bloomberg: New OLED iPhones to feature speed and camera improvements, Apple may not use ‘Plus’ label for 6.5-inch model
- Kuo: 6.1-inch iPhone shipping later, no Apple Pencil support this year
- Report: Apple to ship highest number of new iPhones this fall since iPhone 6 peak
- Get a piece of Apple history as an alleged first-gen iPhone prototype hits eBay auction
- Comment: Acer’s new Swift 7 shows the work Apple needs to do on its MacBook bezels
Apple Watch |
- Exclusive: Apple Watch Series 4 revealed — massive display, dense watch face, more
- Almost 90% of Apple Watch buyers choosing the Series 1 over the Series 3
- Comment: The Apple Watch Series 4 is going to take the wearable mainstream
- Comment: Wear OS revamp shows why Apple was right to choose a rectangular Watch face
- What do you think of the new complication-dense face coming to Apple Watch? [Poll]
Tech Industry |
- Samsung announces speedy new NVMe-based Portable SSD X5 featuring Thunderbolt 3
- Sprint is the latest carrier to suffer from a security lapse potentially exposing customer data
- Tesla launches portable Qi charger compatible with your iPhone
AAPL Company |
- Apple announces next iPhone event for September 12: ‘Gather round’
- AirPort Express firmware update adds AirPlay 2 and Home app support
- Which new Apple product still to come this year are you most excited for? [Poll]
- Apple will livestream 2018 iPhone event on September 12
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
Happy Hour Podcast #188 |
This week Benjamin and Zac talk AirPlay 2 coming to the AirPort Express, Bloomberg’s report on iPhone naming and features, Ming-Chi Kuo’s prediction that at least one iPhone will be delayed and no Pencil support, that rumor about 3D Touch going away, and a quick look at HomeKit shades.
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
Making The Grade |
Making The Grade is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Making The Grade: Apple should release a low cost AirPlay-only receiver
- Making The Grade: Digital textbooks for iPad never took off, and here’s why
- Making The Grade: Let’s move past iPad vs Mac and look at the future
- Making The Grade: USB-C is the standard IT departments need
- Making The Grade: How I use iPad and Kinderlime to manage after-school care
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
Featured in top image: Dell 38-inch UltraSharp Curved Monitors, Grovemade’s Desk Shelf System, Nixie Tube Clock, Apogee Quartet, KRK VXT6 Studio Monitor speakers, Classicbot Classic Vintage Mac Toy. Read about the setup over on 9to5Toys as part of the ‘Behind the Screens’ series.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.