In this week’s top stories: We offer more details on the Apple Watch Series 4 and iPhone Xs, Apple promotes iOS 12 to existing iPhone and iPad users, renders show off the new iPad Pros coming later this year, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest stories and more.
Sylvania HomeKit Light Strip
First off, we reported on Wednesday that the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone set to be introduced next week will likely be called the ‘iPhone Xs Max.’ According to two sources familiar with Apple’s marketing plans, it will be using ‘Max’ this year instead of ‘Plus,’ which Bloomberg had previously suggested.
Additionally, we offered more details on the Apple Watch Series 4, reporting that the 42mm model will likely feature a resolution of 384×480. This is a significant upgrade compared to the 312×390 resolution of the current Apple With Series 3, and will allow applications to show much more content on the display.
Ahead of the public release of iOS 12 later this month, Apple on Thursday started promoting the update to all iPhone and iPad users. This promotion comes in the form of a notification from the built-in Tips app, which takes users to a “sneak peek” at iOS 12.
As for the 2018 iPhones, a somewhat sketchy report this week suggested that the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will start at around $699, while the 5.8 iPhone Xs might start at $800. The iPhone Xs Max, meanwhile, would then start at $999 – putting it at the same level as the current-generation iPhone X.
Last but not least, renders based on supply chain schematics for the 2018 iPad Pros hit the web this week. These renders show the iPad Pro with a new rear-placed Smart Connector, flat sides, and iPhone-style antenna lines. Check them out right here.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below…
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS |
- Apple promoting new features coming in iOS 12 to all iPhone and iPad users with Tips notifications
- No. 1 paid utility in Mac App Store steals browser history, sends it to Chinese server
- Popular iOS apps sending user location to data monetization firms, researcher says
- Exclusive: This is ‘iPhone XS’ — design, larger version, and gold colors confirmed
- ‘iPhone Xs Max’ likely name for 6.5-inch OLED flagship, sources say
- Roundup: Everything we know about the iPhone XS
- iPhone XS hype continues with concept video showing off larger size, gold finish
- iPhone X trade-in value at record 68% of new price a week before new iPhones revealed
- In customer survey, better battery life tops list of most wanted iPhone features, ‘remove the notch’ comes dead last
- Report indicates $699 starting price for 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, 5.8-inch iPhone Xs around $800
- This year’s iPhones likely to establish a lasting tech lead thanks to 7nm A12 chip
- Analysts compare 2018 iPhones to the iPhone 6 as they expect rising ASP & more
- iPhone won’t embed Touch ID in the display anytime soon, says Kuo
- Renders show new thin-bezel iPad Pro based on purported design: flat sides, iPhone-style antenna lines
Apple Watch |
- Exclusive: Apple Watch Series 4 revealed — massive display, dense watch face, more
- Apple Watch Series 4 resolution likely 384×480, apps capable of showing much more content
- Apple Watch and Bluetooth car audio — the last step before leaving my iPhone behind
- Apple Watch patent application leads to speculation of always-on screen mode
- Heart Analyzer for Apple Watch lets you visualize heart rate during exercise, sleep, more
- Comment: The Apple Watch Series 4 is going to take the wearable mainstream
Tech Industry |
- Evernote cuts price of its Premium membership as report suggests it’s in a ‘death spiral’
- Comment: On the curious timing of Samsung’s teasing of its long-promised folding phone
- T-Mobile’s new iPhone and iPad lease offers businesses an iPhone 8 for $18/month
- Uber rider rating under 4? You may soon be banned from the service …
- Tech industry told ‘privacy is not absolute’ and end-to-end encryption ‘should be rare’
- Nanoleaf’s touch-sensitive Canvas light panels w/ HomeKit support to launch in December
AAPL Company |
- Flight grounded after teen accidentally AirDrops fake crime scene photo to passengers
- Profile of Eddy Cue says respected leader but over-extended; falls asleep in meetings
- Apple Events app updated on Apple TV ahead of September 12 event
- EU approves Apple’s acquisition of music recognition service Shazam
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Logitech Crayon for iPad no longer education-only starting September 12 [Video]
- Review: Elgato’s Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock – dual 4K with HDMI and DisplayPort [Video]
- Review: Samsung X5 Thunderbolt 3 Portable SSD – the new speed king [Video]
Happy Hour Podcast #189 |
This week Benjamin and Zac discuss 9to5Mac’s exclusive Apple Watch Series 4 and iPhone Xs leaks, iPad Pro redesign rumors, event predictions, and more.
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
Making The Grade |
Making The Grade is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Making The Grade: BYOD should be avoided, and here are three reasons why
- Making The Grade: Apple should release a low cost AirPlay-only receiver
- Making The Grade: Digital textbooks for iPad never took off, and here’s why
- Making The Grade: Let’s move past iPad vs Mac and look at the future
- Making The Grade: USB-C is the standard IT departments need
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
Featured in top image: Dell 38-inch UltraSharp Curved Monitors, Grovemade’s Desk Shelf System, Nixie Tube Clock, Apogee Quartet, KRK VXT6 Studio Monitor speakers, Classicbot Classic Vintage Mac Toy. Read about the setup over on 9to5Toys as part of the ‘Behind the Screens’ series.