In this week’s top stories: Reviews of the latest iPad Pro, Mac mini, and MacBook Air, new Apple-made complications for Apple Watch, repair programs for iPhone X and MacBook Pro, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple stories.
Ecobee HomeKit Thermostat
Apple’s latest iPad Pros, Mac mini, and MacBook Air officially went up for sale to consumers on Wednesday. This means pundits also shared their reviews of Apple’s latest products this week.
As for the new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pros, reviewers seemingly all agreed that they’re the best iPads yet, but are held back by iOS. Our own Ben Lovejoy has been sharing his running thoughts in his ‘iPad Pro Diary’ series, as well. Also be sure to watch Jeff Benjamin’s full review below.
Reviewers also shared their first-looks at the Mac mini and MacBook Air this week. For the MacBook Air, many wondered if this is the machine Apple should have released 3 years ago, while the Mac mini was widely praised as being an excellent update over its predecessor.
Elsewhere, Apple opened a pair of new repair programs this week. For non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro users, Apple is offering free repairs of devices with 128GB and 256GB SSDs that suffer from data loss or failure.
For the iPhone X, Apple says there’s an issue that affects the responsiveness of the touchscreen. In some cases, the display may not respond to touch, while in other cases the display may react even if there was no touch applied.
These and the rest of this week’s top Apple stories below…
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS |
- Second iOS 12.1.1 and first watchOS 5.1.2 betas coming today, likely unlock new Apple Watch Series 4 complications [U: It’s out]
- watchOS 5.1.1 coming today following Apple Watch bricking issues with previous update [U: Now available]
- iMovie, GarageBand, and iWork for Mac and iOS updated alongside iPad Pro and Mac launches
- Apple offering free repairs to fix iPhone X display issues
- iOS 12.1.1 will let iPhone XR users expand notifications with Haptic Touch
- iPhone XR benchmarks confirm essentially identical performance to the iPhone XS
- Comment: Is Apple ceasing to report unit sales because the iPhone has peaked?
- GigSky brings support for eSIM on iPhone XS and XR to its worldwide data plans
- iOttie releases new iTap 2 magnetic iPhone car mounts for vent, dash/windshield, and CD slot
- 2019 iPhones to use new combination of antenna technology, Kuo says
iPad Pro |
- iPad Pro review roundup: The best iPad yet, still not a computer, but maybe the future
- What can you connect to the new iPad Pro with USB-C?
- 2018 iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, and Smart Keyboard Folio — a big leap from the first Pro
- iPad Pro Diary: I’m already in love with the new compact 12.9-inch iPad Pro
- iPad Pro Diary: I can’t put this thing down, but we really need ‘padOS’
- Download the colorful new iPad Pro wallpapers for your device right here [Gallery]
- Writing with iPad Pro: The first 48 hours away from Mac
- Brydge teases new keyboards for the 2018 iPad Pros, coming early next year
- Hyper unveils the first iPad Pro USB-C hub with HDMI, USB-A, headphone jack, SD slot, more
- iPad Pro tidbits: Replacement Apple Pencil tips, Smart Keyboard weight, USB-C display info
- Mac mini review roundup: Apple has done the right thing, and the price is justified
- The best USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 accessories for Apple’s new MacBook Air
- Apple offering free repairs to fix 13-inch MacBook Pro SSD data loss problems
- Latest Retina MacBook Air hands-on tests 4K video editing w/ Final Cut Pro [Video]
- Should Apple make this modern display seen in the new Mac mini’s user guide? [Poll]
- MacBook Air review roundup: Nice; late; Apple now a follower, not a leader
- LG’s highly anticipated Thunderbolt 3-enabled 5K UltraWide display is now on sale
- How to upgrade RAM on the 2018 Mac mini – multiple guides
- AirPods update appears closer as new model receives Bluetooth SIG certification
- Xiaomi’s latest Apple clone is AirDots, an AirPods copy costing just $29
- Apple’s upcoming over-ear headphones may use HomePod-style beamforming; be reversible
- AirPods were the best-selling product at Best Buy last month, followed by Lightning to 3.5mm adapter
Apple Watch |
- watchOS 5.1.2 adds Control Center toggle for Walkie-Talkie availability
- Seven new Apple app complications coming soon to Infograph face on Apple Watch Series 4
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Photos: Apple’s first store in Thailand celebrates grand opening
- Apple Champs-Élysées opens in Paris on November 18th
- Angela Ahrendts calls Thailand’s first Apple store ‘the fullest expression of everything that Apple’s doing’
- Apple Third Street Promenade returns to Santa Monica November 17th ‘for all the imagination under the sun’
Top Apple stories, company |
- Apple customers discuss the ‘nickel and diming’ that annoys them the most
- Five things Apple didn’t announce at its October special event
- Comcast reportedly planning streaming TV box that’s far more limited than Apple TV
- Anand Shimpi and Phil Schiller deliver iPad Pro A12X deep dive in new interview
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Review: 2018 12.9-inch iPad Pro: a tamed beast [Video]
- Hands-on: Twelve South PowerPic Wireless Charger – old school meets new school [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top Apple news of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: November 5, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: November 6, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: November 7, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: November 8, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: November 9, 2018
Happy Hour Podcast #198 |
This week Benjamin and Zac offer up early impressions on the 2018 iPad Pro, new Apple Pencil, and Smart Keyboard Folio, a few iPhone XR thoughts, changes coming in iOS and watchOS for FaceTime and more, a change to how Apple is reporting earnings, and much more.
Making The Grade |
Making The Grade is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- What is the iPad mini’s role in the iPad lineup?
- Thoughts on iPad apps, web apps, and the move to subscriptions
- The laptop I hope Apple announces at its upcoming event
- How I recovered a stolen iPad thanks to Jamf Pro and Apple’s Device Enrollment Program
- What do you do with old laptops and iPads?
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
Featured in top image: Dell 38-inch UltraSharp Curved Monitors, Grovemade’s Desk Shelf System, Nixie Tube Clock, Apogee Quartet, KRK VXT6 Studio Monitor speakers, Classicbot Classic Vintage Mac Toy. Read about the setup over on 9to5Toys as part of the ‘Behind the Screens’ series.