In this week’s top stories: iOS 14 beta testing continues, we round up everything we know about the iPhone 12, Apple’s environmental commitment, and much more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news.
Apple this week committed to being 100% carbon neutral for its entire supply chain by 2030. Apple’s operations have been 100% carbon neutral for more than two years, but committing to applying the same standards to its supply chain is even more impressive.
The company said its commitment includes boosting its use of recycled materials and recycling of discarded products so that carbon neutrality applies to the complete life-cycle of all Apple products. What this means, according to Apple, is that every Apple device sold will have net-zero climate impact by 2030. Learn more in our full coverage right here.
As we move closer to the iPhone 12 release later in the year, more rumors about what to expect are starting to surface. Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported this week that the iPhone 12 will use a new ball-based voice coil motor for the camera, compared to the current spring-based design. According to the analyst, this means the iPhone 12 should feature significant improvements to autofocus.
A pair of other rumors on Wednesday indicated that the iPhone 12 release might have to be delayed until as late as November due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We also got a potential look at the iPhone 12 battery specifications, which you can find here.
Last but certainly not least this week, Apple released the third developer betas of iPadOS 14, iOS 14, tvOS 14, macOS 11 Big Sur, and watchOS 7.
So what’s new in iOS 14 beta 3? Leading the way here are new widgets for the Clock app, which were previously teased by Apple but were missing from beta 1 and beta two. iOS 14 beta 3 also adds a new option to share Apple Music songs, albums, and playlists to Snapchat Stories.
Finally, evidence within the macOS 11 Big Sur beta suggests that Apple has plans to bring Face ID biometric authentication to the Mac. Learn more here.
- Apple releases iPadOS 14 and iOS 14 beta 3 to developers
- What’s new in iOS 14 beta 3? New Music app icon, Clock widgets, more
- How to manage COVID-19 exposure notifications on iPhone
- iOS 14: How the compact call interface works on iPhone
- iOS 14: Here’s an early look at how you’ll be able to change default apps
- iOS 14: How to allow or block iPhone apps from tracking you
- Apple releases latest public beta of iOS 14 with new Clock widgets and more
- iOS 14 beta gives us a glimpse of the system interface on the 5.4-inch iPhone 12
- Rumors: iPhone 12 battery capacity, release potentially delayed until November
- Everything we know about the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro so far
- Shot from iPhone 4 included in 2020 iPhone Photography Award winners
- Braided Apple iPhone lightning cable pictured, expected to ship with iPhone 12
- What is a periscope lens, and what would it mean for future iPhones?
- iPhone SE attracting Android switchers, unlikely to cannibalize iPhone 12 sales
- New iPhone SE is successful in its intended role, says CIRP
- Kuo: iPhone 12 to feature improved autofocus, periscope camera lens coming in 2022
Apple Watch |
- watchOS 7: How to enable and use handwashing detection
- Apple releases watchOS 7 beta 3 to developers, public beta coming soon
Mac and iPad |
- Exclusive: Want Face ID on the Mac? macOS Big Sur suggests the TrueDepth camera is coming
- Comment: The new Apple Pencil features in iPadOS 14 would pair perfectly with a matte iPad Pro
- Videos: macOS Big Sur isn’t just a visual redesign, here’s how macOS 11 will sound
- Concept shows how Apple could enhance the widget experience on iPadOS
- Apple releases macOS 11 Big Sur beta 3 to developers
- What’s new in macOS 11 Big Sur beta 3? Battery icon change, new screenshot sound effect, more
Top Apple stories, retail |
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
- Second Apple Store in Thailand opening soon at Bangkok’s Central World
- Today at Apple brings virtual art sessions to Chicago students this summer
- Cord-cutting live TV app ‘Channels’ updated with DVR improvements, improved navigation, more
- Twitter testing support for customizable app icons on iOS, new splash screen design
- Plex launches free Live TV on iPhone, Apple TV, web without a tuner or antenna
Top Apple stories, company |
- Apple being sued for refusing to help iTunes gift card scam victims
- Report: Apple held ‘preliminary’ talks with Arm about an acquisition, but not planning a bid
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Hands-on with iPadOS 14 beta features and changes – Apple Pencil gains power [Video]
- Hands-on with the 10 best iOS 14 features for iPhone [Video]
- Hands-on: iOS 14 beta 3 changes and features [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: July 24, 2020 – Apple Silicon Mac mini tests, more
- 9to5Mac Daily: July 23, 2020 – iOS 14 beta 3 changes, more
- 9to5Mac Daily: July 22, 2020 – iPhone camera rumors, iOS 14 default apps
- 9to5Mac Daily: July 21, 2020 – Apple’s environmental commitment, iPhone SE data
- 9to5Mac Daily: July 20, 2020 – Apple Silicon Mac timeline rumors, more
9to5Mac Watch Time episode #26 |
Zac Hall and Michael Potuck from 9to5Mac unpack the latest updates to watchOS 7 and Apple Watch in this special live edition of 9to5Mac Watch Time.
- CleanMyMac X: Get CleanMyMac X 30% off valid until July 5.
- MacStadium: Get 50% off the first six months of a Mac mini subscription with code WWDC2020.
- Pillow: Pillow is an all-in-one sleep tracking solution to help you get a better night’s sleep. Download it from the App Store today.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives. 9to5Mac Watch Time is available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS.
Happy Hour Podcast #287 |
This week on 9to5Mac Happy Hour, Benjamin Mayo and Zac Hall talk iPhone 12, iOS 14, ARM Mac apps, and much more.
- Sponsored by LinkedIn — check out our offer to support the podcast!
Stacktrace Podcast #93 |
Rambo shuts down two of his projects and battles Dark Mode on macOS, John re-evaluates his goals and work priorities, and the two discuss the big Twitter hack, engineering management, and whether Apple has changed their strategy around when to ship new features.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
In this episode of the Apple @ Work podcast, Bradley is joined by Scott Reed and Greg Keller from JumpCloud to discuss why they chose to launch an MDM in 2020, and how device management intersects with identity management.
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.