In this week’s top stories: Apple releases the latest iOS 11.3 beta with battery performance settings, HomePod arrives, a controversial redesign for YouTube on Apple TV, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories…
Sylvania HomeKit Light Strip
So forget comparisons with smart speakers: compare the HomePod to decent shelf-sized speakers, and figure you’re getting some smarts thrown in for free – together with some serious high-end audio technology. If you’re an iTunes and Apple Music person, it’s HomePod I’ll be recommending in future, not Sonos.
Apple this week also released iOS 11.3 beta 2 to developers and public beta testers. Included in this release is a new Battery Health section in the Settings app. Here, you’ll be able to see your battery capacity and the option to disable throttling at risk of unexpected shutdowns.
In response to an inquiry from the U.S. Senate about whether or not new iPhones would be throttled in the future, Apple said that the iPhone X and iPhone 8 include “hardware updates that allow a more advanced performance management system.” This seems to be a change of course for the company, as it had previously said it planned to bring performance throttling to newer devices in the future.
A report also surfaced this week highlighting an issue plaguing a growing number of iPhone X users. The report explained that some users are unable to answer phone calls with their iPhone X because the display does not wake up while the phone is ringing, meaning they can’t access the accept and decline buttons. Apple is said to be investigating.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below…
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS
- Apple releases iOS 11.3 beta 2 with battery health data
- Snapchat launches custom filters and lenses for all users from $10
- Here are the 100+ new emoji arriving on iPhone and iPad this year [Video]
- Purported iOS iBoot source code leaks, potential security issue for iPhones [U]
- Mario Kart Tour for iOS will be free to try like Super Mario Run
Apple TV |
- KGI: 2018 iPhones to use Intel baseband chips exclusively, ditching Qualcomm
- Growing number of iPhone X users unable to accept calls, Apple investigating
- Dating site Match says if you’re a single guy, you may want to upgrade your phone
- Apple: iPhone 8 & iPhone X include ‘hardware updates’ to handle battery & throttling issues
- Analyst: Slowing iPhone X demand means no super cycle for Apple
- Review: The $129 DJI Osmo Mobile 2 is the best-value iPhone gadget available right now [Video]
- HomePod Diary: Hands-on, and this thing is a Sonos Play 5 killer
- HomePod review roundup: not as smart as it could be, but stunning sound
- Before HomePod: History of the short-lived iPod Hi-Fi
- Sonos welcomes ‘Fruit Machine’ Apple’s HomePod with a clever playlist and a snarky hidden message
- Here are all of Apple’s tips for HomePod available in the Tips app
- Here’s how Apple is displaying HomePod in its retail stores [Gallery]
- HomePods are shipping with a ‘beta’ build of iOS
- Review: August Smart Lock Pro works with HomeKit and Z-Wave Plus, Doorbell Cam Pro lights up the night
- Review: Bowers & Wilkins PX offer superb sound quality w/ USB-C and more
- Review: Yohann, an expensive but undeniably beautiful & practical iPad stand
- Review: VOCOlinc’s HomeKit LED light strips offer the best value, no bridge needed
Apple Watch |
- Apple Watch knockoff promises 45-day battery life, heart rate tracking, and more for under $100
- Large-scale study shows Apple Watch & other wearables can detect early signs of diabetes
AAPL Company |
- How to stream the 2018 Winter Olympics on iPhone, iPad, Mac & Apple TV
- Report suggests Apple could begin 2018 product launches next month
- Apple abruptly pulled Telegram last week when it learned app was serving child pornography
- FBI agent texts highlight distaste for Apple: ‘Now if Tim Cook would fall off the face of the earth’
- Apple investigating claim that AirPods started smoking & burst open
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top video |
- Hands-on: CalDigit TS3 Plus – the best Thunderbolt 3 dock for Mac? [Video]
- Back to the Mac 002: The apps that power my macOS workflow [Video]
Happy Hour Podcast #158 |
This week Benjamin and Zac discuss welcome changes in watchOS 4.3 for Apple Watch, HomePod reviews before receiving ours, how Apple is resolving battery health issues with iOS 11.3, and much more.
9to5Mac Daily |
Welcome to 9to5Mac Daily, a new podcast bringing you the latest in Apple news and top 9to5Mac stories every Monday through Friday. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 021: iPhone 7 replacement program, why Telegram was pulled, and HomePod updates | 9to5Mac Daily
- 022: HomePod reviews, iOS 11.3 beta 2, iPhone Battery Health | 9to5Mac Daily
- 023: Amazing Stories showrunner departs, YouTube overhauled on Apple TV, and ESPN pricing | 9to5Mac Daily
- 024: HomePod arrives in Australia, Apple News covers Olympics, iBoot leak | 9to5Mac Daily
- 025: HomePod launch day edition | 9to5Mac Daily