In this week’s top stories: Apple pulls the plug on its AirPort line of accessories, leaked images claim to show the iPhone SE 2 in all of its glory, Apple releases iOS 11.3.1, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest stories…
Ecobee HomeKit Thermostat
This week, Apple officially announced the end of its AirPort router line. As we reported on Thursday, the company has discontinued the AirPort express, AirPort Extreme, and both models of the AirPort Time Capsule. The company has no plans for future hardware and is instead referring people to third-party options such as the Linksys Velop.
Leaked images this week claimed to show the iPhone SE 2. The images depict a device with a glass back for wireless charging, but also with a headphone jack. This contradicts an earlier rumor which suggested Apple would drop the headphone jack on the iPhone SE 2.
Bringing good news for iPhone 8 users, Apple on Tuesday released iOS 11.3.1 with a fix for third-party display repairs. Following the release of iOS 11.3 earlier this month, some users reported that their third-party displays no longer functioned properly, but that has now been fixed.
Popular subscription service MoviePass made a drastic change to its offering this week. The company announced that it is now limiting its “unlimited” movie option to four movies per month.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below…
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS
- Apple releases iOS 11.3.1 with third-party display repair fix, macOS 10.13.4 security update
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery game now available on iPhone and iPad, but it’s an obnoxious free-to-play game
Mac + Apple Watch |
- PSA: There’s a new fake Flash Player installer for Macs, and it’s nastier than usual
- Poll: What should Apple do about its Mac mini mystery?
- Satechi unveils USB-C Pro Hub with 87W PD and Ethernet, style references original iPhone
- World’s last Apple Watch shop at Isetan Shinjuku closing May 13th
- New survey finds 75% of enterprise employees with choice pick iOS over Android, 72% Mac over PC
- Wonder Woman actor Gal Gadot tweets praise for her new Huawei Mate 10 … from an iPhone
- Photos claim to show redesigned iPhone SE 2 with glass back for wireless charging, headphone jack remains
- Report: iPhone X demand slows as iPhone 8 and 8 Plus mix climbs in March quarter
- KGI: 2018 LCD iPhone will feature stronger display glass, more resistant to impact
- Apple officially discontinues AirPort router line, no plans for future hardware
- Comment: Apple’s decision to discontinue AirPort products is the wrong decision at the wrong time
- The best battery charging cases for iPhone 8 and iPhone X
- Apple outlines key features to look for when upgrading from AirPort devices
- Lexus debuting CarPlay in latest ES sedan, 12.3-inch widescreen optional available, no touch
- Review: Philips Hue Wellner is a HomeKit table lamp with a fun design, but color costs extra
AAPL Company |
- Analysts say market is panicking ahead of Apple’s earnings report on Tuesday
- Tim Cook & Lisa Jackson attend President Trump’s first state dinner
- Report: Apple working on AR/VR headset capable of pushing 16K resolution without iPhone or Mac
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top video |
Happy Hour Podcast #170 |
This week Benjamin and Zac break news that Apple has officially discontinued its AirPort router line, weigh new iPhone SE 2 rumors, and clues about dark mode finally coming to macOS.
Making The Grade |
Making The Grade is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Making The Grade: What’s lacking in Apple’s Deployment Model for iPads?
- Making The Grade: Making sense of Apple’s current MacBook line for education
- Making The Grade: Apple needs an Identity Management Solution to take over schools
- Making The Grade: Why Apple’s education strategy is not based on reality
- Making The Grade: Where the iPad still excels over Chromebooks regardless of price
- Making The Grade: Does repairability of Mac laptops matter?
- Making The Grade: AppleCare+ is a terrible investment for iPad deployments
- Making The Grade: Is Apple TV a worthy add-on in the classroom?
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
Featured in top image: Dell 38-inch UltraSharp Curved Monitors, Grovemade’s Desk Shelf System, Nixie Tube Clock, Apogee Quartet, KRK VXT6 Studio Monitor speakers, Classicbot Classic Vintage Mac Toy. Read about the setup over on 9to5Toys as part of the ‘Behind the Screens’ series.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.