Echo Stories January 2, 2019
Echo Stories December 19, 2018
Amazon’s quirky new Echo Wall Clock has arrived. While it’s primarily just a $29 analog wall clock, there’s something charming about its analog and digital balance. Echo Wall Clock doesn’t have Alexa built-in. You need a nearby Echo speaker with Alexa to use it, then it becomes a smart analog clock with a few fun and useful features despite small build quality concerns.
Echo Stories October 18, 2018
Amazon is rolling out a new Alexa feature for Echo speakers that intelligently reduces the voice assistant’s volume when you whisper a command. The new ‘whisper mode’ feature should prevent unexpectedly loud responses in quiet situations and instead use a gentler voice.
Echo Stories March 16, 2018
Recently, Amazon added a ‘Follow-Up Mode’ to its Echo line of devices, which allows users to repeatedly say commands to the assistant without saying “Alexa” again. The company even added a ‘feature’ where the Echo would laugh at you sporadically. Today, the tech-giant is adding a ‘Brief Mode’ which disables the chatter aspect of the Echo, and replaces it with a simple chime once a task is completed.
Echo Stories September 27, 2017
Amazon took the stage in Seattle this morning to unveil a handful of new devices ahead of the holiday season. Today’s announcement includes the all-new Echo and Echo Plus Smart Speaker, a smaller Echo Connect, two updated models of its Fire TV streaming media platform and more. It was a big day in Seattle, and we have all of the details for you down below along with pre-order information.
Echo Stories August 29, 2017
Amazon today has announced a new feature that allows users to play, synchronize, and control music playback across multiple Echo devices with support for voice commands. The news comes ahead of Apple’s HomePod launch in December and Sonos likely unveiling a new smart speaker in October. Amazon has also announced new tools for developers.
Echo Stories June 26, 2017
Apple’s unveiling of the HomePod at WWDC was little more than a preview, as the company remains tight-lipped on exactly how the Siri voice assistant will work on the device. Whilst the HomePod isn’t shipping until the end of the year, Amazon is launching its latest addition to the Alexa home AI product range later this week.
The $230 Echo Show launches on Wednesday, featuring a 7-inch touchscreen. The company posted a series of videos (watch after the jump) giving a first look at the UI in action, to show how the Alexa assistant will utilize the screen to display relevant information and respond to voice queries …
Echo Stories May 27, 2016
Amazon was first with its Echo Wi-Fi speaker — a dedicated, standalone hub for its Alexa virtual assistant software — and now word has it Apple is working on a similar product for Siri. The several reports this week detailing Apple’s plans followed Google’s unveiling of its competitive Home hardware and Assistant platform at its Google I/O developer conference earlier this month. But what exactly will Apple’s competitor look like? And how will its reported plans for a Siri SDK play into its approach?
Echo Stories May 18, 2016
Google kicked off its Google I/O developer conference today with the usual keynote address where executives showed off a number of upcoming hardware, software and developer tool products. It started off with its new voice controlled Siri competitor— Google Assistant— which also ties into its upcoming Amazon Echo-like device for the home called Google Home.
Echo Stories April 19, 2016
9to5Toys Last Call: Apple refurb 12″ MacBooks from $929, Amazon Tap/Echo from $111, Apple Watch Dock $21, more
TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS:
Last Call Updates:
The best accessories for Apple’s 12-inch MacBook: USB-C cables, hubs, flash storage, more
- VIZIO introduces the new M-Series with an updated design and 4K HDR displays
- Sennheiser HD 600 Open-Back Pro Headphones + $150 Amazon gift card: $400 ($550 value)
- Motorola SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 SB6183 Cable Modem (Refurb) $64 shipped (Reg. $100)
- PSN Digital Games up to 60% off: GTA Trilogy for PS4 from $19, more
- Harman Kardon 7.1-Ch. 4K A/V Receiver w/ AirPlay: $298 shipped (Orig. $800)
- Green Deals: Philips 100W A21 Dimmable LED Lightbulb $13 Prime shipped (Reg. $22), more
- Sports/Fitness: Collapsible LED Camping Lantern $7.50 (Reg. $10+), more
- Home: DEWALT Rotary Multi-Tool Kit $159 ($213+ value), more
Apple drops the price on refurbished 12-inch MacBooks, now start at $929 shipped
Amazon’s Alexa-enabled Echo is on sale for $154 (Reg. $180), Tap Bluetooth Speaker $111 (Reg. $130)
Smartphone Accessories: Arc-shaped Apple Watch Charging Stand $21, AUKEY Magnetic Air Vent Mount $6, more
Review: Are these third-party $11 Apple Watch Sport bands any good? Turns out, they aren’t too bad.
App Store Free App of the Week: Space Marshals goes free for the very first time ($5 value)
Upgrade Your Mac with 3 Great Apps: Scapple $9 (Orig. $15), STAMP Premium $5 (Orig. $10), Ghostnote $7 (Orig. $10)
BADLAND 1 & 2 for iOS now matching lowest prices ever from $1 (Reg. $5)
Apple offers Day One 2 iOS journal app for free ($10 value)
MORE NEW GEAR FROM TODAY:
SanDisk Storage: Ultra II 960GB 2.5-inch Internal Solid-State Drive $200 (Reg. $232+), 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive $50, more
Smartphone Accessories: Pad & Quill Timber Catchall Stand for Apple Watch in cherry wood finish $64 (Reg. $99), more
- Daily Deals: JBL Synchros Over-Ear Headphones $99, Dell Laser Printer w/ AirPrint $70, more
- Games/Apps: Plants vs. Zombies GW 2 $40, Guitar Hero Live from $38, iOS freebies, more
- Fashion: Banana Republic 50% off sale items, 50% off Dockers Pants/Shirts, more
MORE DEALS STILL ALIVE:
DODOcase 40% off sitewide: iPad Pro Two Tone Case from $49 shipped, iPhone & Apple Watch accessories, more
Samsung 55-inch 4K 120Hz Smart UHDTVs: $1,200 (Reg. $1,500), 3D $1,375 (Reg. $1,800)
Displays: Dell 24-inch 4K $361 (Reg. $400+), LG Ultra-Thin Bezel 27-inch 1080p $180 (Reg. $299)
- Gift Cards up to 20% off: Babies/Toys R Us, Old Navy, Lowe’s, CVS, more
- DJI Phantom 3 Standard Quadcopter w/ 2.7K Camera: $399 shipped (Reg. $499)
- GoPro HERO4 Silver Action Camera w/ Accessories Bundle: $280 w/ .edu ($375 value)
- Panasonic eneloop 8-pack of rechargeable AA batteries: $18 Prime shipped (Reg. $22+)
- Amazon launches standalone $9/month Prime Video subscription, but it isn’t really a deal
- Grab a $5 Kindle eBook credit at Amazon w/ download of select free Android titles
- Green Deals: Anker’s new PowerHouse 400Wh Inverter $400 (Reg. $500), more
- Slayin endless action RPG for iOS is now available for free (Reg. $1)
- Google Chromebook Pixel Touchscreen 1.8GHz/4GB/32GB: $400 (Reg. 650+)
- Jackery USB Power Banks: 6000mAh w/ MFi Lightning Cable $20 (Reg. $30), more
- LG Music Flow P7 20W 2-Channel Bluetooth Speaker: $43 shipped (Orig. $150)
- Grab this RCA 32-inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV for only $150 shipped (Orig. $209)
- Give Google Express a try with this $30 credit for $15 w/ email delivery (50% savings)
- LEGO Star Wars Buildable Figurines from $17 including Luke Skywalker, more
- Google Play MP3 albums for $1: Notorious B.I.G. Life After Death (Remastered), Fetty Wap, more
- Pebble Time iOS/Android Smartwatch with color e-paper display: $105 shipped (Reg. $130+)
- Philips Hue Starter Kits (1st gen): Lux $56 (Orig. $80), White & Color $135 (Orig. $170)
- Philips Hue discounted bundles: 4-pack A19 white & color bulbs $199 (Reg. $240), more
- Stay online when the power goes out with the APC Back-UPS Power Supply for $20 (Reg. $30)
- TarDisk Pear solid-state expansion drive for MacBook 15% off
- BenQ 1080p 3D DLP Home Theater Projector (Refurb) $500 (Orig, $1,199)
- Free two-month Audible trial for new customers (Reg. $15/mo.), more
- Green Deals: Aukey 12000mAh Solar Dual-USB Power Bank $25 (Reg. $30+), more
- Samsung 48-inch Smart 4K UHDTV w/ 3 HDMI + 2 USB ports: $450 (Reg. $800)
- QNAP 2-Bay Personal Cloud NAS w/ DLNA & PLEX: $139 shipped (Reg. $179)
- Get your first month free of the comic subscription service Marvel Unlimited ($10 value)
- Enhance your computer audio w/ Mackie’s CR4 50W Reference Speakers for $115 (Reg. $150)
- Fashion: Patagonia up to 50% off – 1/4 Zip Pullover $64, Board shorts $39, more
NEW PRODUCTS & MORE:
DJI’s new professional-grade drone is incredibly powerful and intelligent
- Samsung goes big with the “world’s first” bezel-less curved 4K Ultra HDTV
- LEGO reveals a massive 1,600 piece Minecraft set loaded with zombies, more
- Improve your kitchen skills with the best under $10 utensils
- Some of the best SNES games of all-time hit Nintendo’s 3DS eShop
- Amazon’s new $290 Kindle Oasis is a slim, luxury e-reader with months of battery life
- The Lycan Powerbox is a robust solar generator with a swappable battery system
- Impossible Project reveals its Polaroid-style analog camera with iOS connectivity
- JBL’s new Reflect Aware C noise cancelling headphones are powered by USB Type-C
- You probably won’t own Lytro’s new 755MP Cinema Camera but you’ll enjoy its benefits
- GoPro’s new Omni Virtual Reality rig leverages six HERO4 Black action cameras
- Epson’s latest ‘Small-in-One’ printer weighs in at a fraction of the competition
- Twelve South introduces new TimePorter capsule for Apple Watch and charger
- Ryobi’s new Ultra Quiet Garage Door Opener has a Bluetooth speaker and more
- Roku introduces a new quad-core streaming stick with a slimmed down design
- Apogee releases its most affordable full-featured Mac recording interface yet
- The Yecup 365 travel mug uses your iPhone to heat or cool your drink
- ROAM-e follows you around in the sky and takes selfies on demand
Echo Stories March 3, 2016
The Amazon Echo has become somewhat of a hit success, with many users preferring Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant to Apple’s Siri because of faster speech recognition speed, reliability and overall better performance. Amazon is continuing to compete in the voice assistant space with the release of two new products today: the Amazon Tap and Echo Dot.
The new products focus on expanding Amazon’s voice assistant into more rooms of your house as well as on-the-go. It’s an interesting strategy to make Alexa-dedicated devices, whereas Apple currently offers Siri only as a feature of its existing iOS, Apple Watch and Apple TV products.
Echo Stories October 25, 2015
In this week’s episode of The Logic Pros, we are continuing our tour of some of Logic’s most powerful in-house effects and tools. Delay FX are one of the most commonly used and versatile options in any producer/programmers arsenal, and Logic Pro X’s built-in Delay Designer happens to be one of our favorite options out there: expand full story
Echo Stories November 6, 2014
Amazon today announced a new hardware product called Echo. It’s essentially a speaker unit dedicated to being a voice-control system. It kind of sounds like Siri but in a speaker for a single room instead of in your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch.
You can set alarms, control music, ask about the weather, search the web, ask questions, and access local news. It streams content via Bluetooth and WiFi, and connects to the Fire Phone (if you have one, lol), iOS via the browser, Android, and desktop computers via the web. Instead of “Hey Siri,” you say “Alexa” to start speaking the device. You’ll need a Fire OS/Android device to take full advantage, but music should work fine via iOS.
The whole concept is very futuristic, and it’s unclear how beneficial this will be to people with voice-controlled phones. But, hey, this comes from the developers of a faux-3D phone and delivery drones, so this is not completely out of left field. The Echo is $99 for Amazon Prime users, $199 for everyone else, and (for some reason) you need an invitation to receive the honor to buy one of these untested things.